The Big Guns

wasted

i think there will be songs better than better (lol) i think better was the worst of the leaks so i hope there are better songs. i like better just not as much as the other songs

Better the worst of the leaks? What???? Better is awesome and the best of the leaks in my book. Well I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion.....

'Better' certainly sounds like the most polished product and the only one with any single potential.

'There Was A Time' happens to be my favorite of the leaked tracks, but its hardly radio material.

Edited by D-GenerationX

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Axl not tell Rolling Stone that the tunes he felt the strongest about are 'The Blues', 'Better', and 'There Was A Time'??

Sounds like "big guns" to me.

Axl said that they were a few of his favorites, but that doesn't mean that they are the strongest or the "big guns". for example billy joe from greenday, before american idiot came out, said that letterbomb was his favorite song. Obviously that wasnt one of the big guns on that record. I.E. american idiot, broken dreams, holiday, wake me up, and jesus of suburbia. I just think there will definatley be songs on the album that are better than the leaks.

Big Guns??? Let's make it simple: What are the "big guns" on Appetite? Let me guess? WTTJ, Paradise City & SCOM. These are the most popular songs on the album. Obvioulsy not the best on the album. You know, there are still songs like: It's So Easy & Mr. Brownstone & Think About You, My Michelle & the huge Rocket Queen. What about UYI 1 & 2? Remember songs like: Right Next Door To Hell, Double Talkin' Jive, Coma, Breakdown, Locomotive & etc. The point is, don't focus to much on "the big guns". Just listen to all the music. You will decide what is cool. There will be many songs that you will take to. Whatever I have heard already, is many times better than anything VR. Let's hold our judgements untill the album. I am sure we will be pleasantly surprised.

Fantastic post! You're dead on. :o

Catcher in the Rye is obviously a big gun, and the final studio version of TWAT could be epic (though Buckmaster did say it was not 'memorable'). Beyond that, I think the other leaks are more along the lines of It's So Easy types - essential to the album but not what it's going to be remembered for.

Buckmaster seemed to imply that Prostitute was the best of the tracks he worked on (TWAT, Blues, and Madagascar being the others), so that is almost certainly a big gun and possibly the big hit of the album.

Based on Beltrami's track record and the enthusiasm he's demonstrated in interviews, I'd imagine at least one of his songs is a big gun (Se7en, General, and Leave Me Alone).

This I Love is another strong candidate if it is still going to be included on the album after all these years.

So there's 2-5 tracks that are likely as good or better than the best of what we've already heard, based on what's been said by people actually involved with the production of the album.

There's definitely more to look forward to.

Catcher in the Rye is obviously a big gun, and the final studio version of TWAT could be epic (though Buckmaster did say it was not 'memorable'). Beyond that, I think the other leaks are more along the lines of It's So Easy types - essential to the album but not what it's going to be remembered for.

Buckmaster seemed to imply that Prostitute was the best of the tracks he worked on (TWAT, Blues, and Madagascar being the others), so that is almost certainly a big gun and possibly the big hit of the album.

Based on Beltrami's track record and the enthusiasm he's demonstrated in interviews, I'd imagine at least one of his songs is a big gun (Se7en, General, and Leave Me Alone).

This I Love is another strong candidate if it is still going to be included on the album after all these years.

So there's 2-5 tracks that are likely as good or better than the best of what we've already heard, based on what's been said by people actually involved with the production of the album.

There's definitely more to look forward to.

How come you know so much?? :o

I think better would have no problem to hit the charts, but i have no doubt that there will be other songs on CD that´ll be as great, or even better

The 2002 tour left everyone slightly doubting Axl's ability to perform... can he still sing? Maybe he's holding back?

Listen to the boots from Europe and Asia - Axl was as good as he's ever been in those. It was the shitty sound equipment in the Tacoma show that messed up everything for the American leg of the tour. You can tell just by listening to the soundboards that Axl is straining to overcompensate, and that carried over into most of the later shows. And now that it's happened once, they'll likely be prepared to take the appropriate measures to ensure it never happens again.

why does everyone think better is the best song. :question:

Mainly because of Axl's voice in it, it sounds rough and heavy and clear and upfront, like in the old days, instead of "behind" the music.

Kannon.

VERY well said :)

I still think we have yet to hear the "Big Guns." To me, the songs we've heard so far could've been changed by the time the album is released, so I'm not sure if they will be the same. However, Better, CITR, etc. are all well done songs in my opinion, so they could be the big songs. Who knows?

I'm interested in hearing The General, Prostitute and others to see what they can bring to the table. I have a feeling we have yet to hear the true "Big Guns" of this album.

apart from better, which was recorded in 2004, the other songs i think are from before 2000. catcher was 1999, as Brian May states.

i think TWAT and IRS were mentioned in RS in 2000, so were recorded before then.

who knows whats been recorded since then?

there could be all sorts of surprises and changes. Just wait and see....should be fun listening to Chinese Democracy!

It's hard to imagine anything better than Better, There Was a Time, or Catcher in the Rye. However I remember saying the same things about Madagascar and The Blues (not that I still don't love these songs, studio versions will be right up there with the other 3, I'm sure), so how knows?

Also Dizzy said The General was his favorite, and the guy who did TWAT and Prostitute said Prostitute was by far the best (and wasn't there a rumor this is the song management went crazy about with the Trunk CD?).

Although it's hard to imagine, I'm inclinded to say: Yes, there is better to come.

Better and The Blues are my favourites so far and I think they'll be 2 of the stronger tracks along with TWAT, Prostitute, The General and This I Love etc

I would have picked Maddy as well but the vocal melodies are a bit of a rip off of Stairway To Heaven which is kinda gay.

Can't wait to hear The General and Prostitute espescially. I picture The General as like a Civil War style Rock Epic and Prostitute a bit heavier like Better with even awesomer Buckethead guitar work.

Edited by PurpleHaze

I hope not, these songs didnt really grow on me too much. I really like TWAT and CITR is cool, but Better just seems really cheesey to me and IRS has dumb lyrics. If these are the big guns, Axl must have been working really hard on them since they were recorded, wich was like in 1996. I just hope this album doesnt turn out to be an overproduced piece of shit.

Edited by sweetness

This I Love cood be a late contender for single.

Maybe it is seen as old Guns.

I really want to see if My World gets extended and revamped for the album. Cood be the opener?!

It would be a really good song for a band to cover. Great lyrics and attitude. A bit short.

you know what. listening to the leaks again, what a stunning solo in TWAT. It seems to just sweep you away for like 2 minutes. If Axl could just rework the first part of the song to make it sound a bit neater and better, then perhaps T.W.A.T could end up with the gnr greats.

Isn't it rumoured to have been reworked though from the leak we got, which was from around 1999?