Only play new songs petition

PopcornAdler

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The smartest thing for Axl to decide is playing 50% old songs and 50% new songs. Everybody will be happy.

Only new songs will be bad cause peeps might get pissed so just mix it 50/50.

Open with an old song. After that new, then old, then new etc etc.

The styles and the structures of the old and the new songs are so different that it would sound terrible.

It's a matter of coherence.

Are you talking about Appetite For Destruction material versus Use Your Illusion or both of them versus Chinese Democracy? :D

Dumb Dumb Dumb

Quickest way to incite a riot. Imagine all those drunk, impatient (because Axl is late onstage as usual), hyped up fans that have never seen Guns N' Roses live and who are expecting the usual hits and all they get is new stuff that the majority of the crowd have never heard before. And believe me THE MAJORITY OF THE CROWD WILL NOT HAVE HEARD THE NEW SONGS!!!. I am just waiting for the moment when Axl takes the stage and I shout out - "Play Better, Play I.R.S.", and all the fans around me look at me and say - "Hey dumbass those aren't Guns N' Roses songs." :P Oh yeah that is gonna happen for sure.

Can you be considered a fan if you don't know any of the "new" 1999 on Chinese Democracy material? Maybe bandwagon fans....

The AFD and the UYI songs have the same structure and style. Several UYI songs were written in the '80s, even before AFD was recorded. Everybody knows that.

I was saying that Think About You and Better don't make a nice couple... Lack of coherence.

Yes I know but will some of these non fans even know Better is a new song? These new songs need to be broken in live. Songs like Welcome To The Jungle are similar to stuff on UYI like You Could Be Mine or Dead Horse but not November Rain or Estranged. People will get used to them after awhile. If I had been an Appetite For Destruction era fan do you think I would have fully appreciated the Use Your Illusions right away? Hell no! You go from expecting more Welcome To The Jungle's, Paradies City's to getting 14 Years, Locomotive and Breakdown. All good songs but not what you'd expect from previous album material. It's gonna be the same with Chinese Democray I think.

The AFD and the UYI songs have the same structure and style. Several UYI songs were written in the '80s, even before AFD was recorded. Everybody knows that.

I was saying that Think About You and Better don't make a nice couple... Lack of coherence.

Everyone knows that UYI and AFD sound very different as well. Sure some sound like AFD, but the majority don't.

IRS and YCBM/most of appetite

TWAT and Estranged

CITR and NR

However GnR is not about being consistant or similar, it's about being different. Light and shade.

I mean Don't cry followed by Perfect crime followed by YATF, for example, on UYI... hardly similar songs are they?

So I don't think the argument stands that new cannot be mixed with old, but some thought needs to be put into the order.

LP

A mixture of half new half old would be nice. One thing is for sure, if the setlist is anything like it was in 2002 i'll be VERY disappointed.

All the 2002 tour did was bring up thread after thread after thread of comparisons between the old band and the new band, Slash Vs Finck, Slash Vs Buckethead, Duff Vs Stinson............. etc etc. And a big factor in this was that the new band played all the old material.

For this band to be truelly appreciated as its own entity we need to hear what its been doing for the past half decade. Another nostalgia-fest won't wash this time........

LA

Edited by LA_0013

first off, telling Axl what to do is not a good idea. if we can say anything for certain about the guy, it's that he does what the fuck he wants to do.

BUT, the idea is not a bad one. in 1997 when Vince Neil returned to Motley Crue they did a 12 city "listening party" tour to support their upcoming album Generation Swine. what they did is play the album live from start to finish. in the middle and at the end they did play a few old hits. it was really cool. the stage set had these props that symbolized the themes for certain songs. then, at the end of the show, they brought a couch out on the stage and took questions from the audience for about an hour. how cool would it be if Axl did that?

This plan is so retarded that it'll never work. And that's a good thing.

So, what do you think would be a good ratio of old and new songs?

Will you be happy if the setlist again consists almost entirely of old material?

Fair question!

A hard call to make. I've always said that in order for this new band to get acceptence from the mainstream fans they will have to present themselves as a new band. Not live off too much old gnr and make yourself look like a coverband. It's one of the main points of critisism they got in 2001/2002. So in order for them to be accepted they would have to play a lot of new stuff and show the world that they can do more then just play other people their stuff. They need to not just be the new guns n roses, but also define themselves and their sound to the people. And for that I'd say you'd need at least 50% of new stuff. If the album is done ir should last at least an hour. The average show is about 2 hours. So be sure to play most of the new album or the entire thing. Possibly even some new stuff that's not on the new album to give people a taste of what's yet to come. But on the other hand when people go to a gnr show they'd also expect to hear some stuff the're familiar with. So you basicaly owe it to them to also play some of the classics. So I'd say go for at least 50/50 with preferably a bit more new stuff then old stuff. But the thing is you can't deny either. And that's (aside from that it'd never work) is why I don't like this thread.

Exactly!

LA

Who else wants Axl to play us all your new stuff and let us be the judges? We have heard the classics for a long time and if he has 2 or 3 albums worth of material then lets hear it..... How amazing would it be to stand through a this show in awww with only recognizing 3 or 4 songs.

Anybody else agree

Don't get me wrong I do love some Its so easy and Pefect crime but hey, the peole going to these show are the true judges...

i disagree

it's so easy sucks :P

Scott does a terrific job singing it. rock3

A mixture of half new half old would be nice. One this is for sure, if the setlist is anything like it was in 2002 i'll be VERY disappointed.

All the 2002 tour did was bring up thread after thread after thread of comparisons between the old band and the new band, Slash Vs Finck, Slash Vs Buckethead, Duff Vs Stinson............. etc etc. And a big factor in this was that the new band played all the old material.

For this band to be truelly appreciated as its own entity we need to hear what its been doing for the past half decade. Another nostalgia-fest won't wash this time........

LA

My point exactly...but in less words :P

Agree with both of you. :)

I think most fans of GN'R want to hear the classics, I for one want to hear WTTJ, SCOM, Mr. Brownstone, Nightrain and many more. I would be pissed if They would only play new songs, so I say mix it up, play the classics and some new stuff too. And besides, can you imagine if they show up for Download and only play new stuff?? The people there would be pissed, if someone is not a huge GN'R fan, they really only want to hear the classics so my guess is that Axl and co. are smart enough to play the old stuff as well.

I really hope the band plays SCOM.

Yeah, SCOM should stay.

WTTJ and November Rain would be the other two that I'd choose to stay a permanent fixture in the setlist. WTTJ for that echoing opening riff and November Rain for that opening piano line - both key moments in a GnR show.

oh my god, that is the most stupid idea ever if you ask me. if there are people who arnt old fans they might think they are shit coz its not rock n roll which they supposadly are.

It would only be a bad idea if the new music was terrible, just because you cannot sing along to a song does not make it bad or less enjoyable live

no way man

new songs are good to be played

but u also want to hear WTTJ, SCOM, NR, Dont cry, patience, paradise city....and etc etc....

Basically what im saying is nobody will agree with u

i know. gnr built its fans on rockers and if none of CD is hard rockers like Jungle then it wont work

Who else wants Axl to play us all your new stuff and let us be the judges? We have heard the classics for a long time and if he has 2 or 3 albums worth of material then lets hear it..... How amazing would it be to stand through a this show in awww with only recognizing 3 or 4 songs.

Anybody else agree

Don't get me wrong I do love some Its so easy and Pefect crime but hey, the peole going to these show are the true judges...

Hell yeah! I would vote for ALL NEW SONGS exclusively if had the chance to write the setlist. A second best would be reducing the old material to strictly WTTJ, Its So Easy, Nightrain and SCOM.

~M

Edited by MetaSouL

On this one I think Axl should do a split. First part of the set do nothing but new material. Give the new fellas a chance to stand on thier own and not be nothing more or less than a high powered cover band. Let them establish thier own music , build thier own legacy rather than playing note for note the old material. Otherwise like many of the great 80's and 90's groups out there with such a history -all GNR stands to do is be a nostalgic act If its what it was like when Popcorn and I saw them in Moline( and Axl and his staff were miserable to Popcorns woman.) when only 4 new songs were thrown into the mix it was a nostalgic act with the band filling in some huge shoes. Supposedly this is supposed to be a new era in the historyof GNR. This is a retooled machine, a repackaged brand -if it ever going to move out of the shadow of the past it has to have a distincly different history.

Anybody else agree

Dude, you're still pissed Axl kicked you out of that show :no: