Axl Rose lyrics Appreciation

Axl-rocks

I think Axl is one of the best song writers. I don't think he gets much credit for his song writing. He is very underrated

But he is definitly a great song writer that's for sure and I think he deserves some appreciation for his great lyrics.

What do you think?

Edited by Axl-rocks

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he's excellent. not some talent we've never seen before- but still he's very good.

look at the last cuople of minutes in Coma. look at civil war.

he's noly problematic lyrics for me is Million.

so, Axl is really good, and Izzy is better ;)

I think Axl is one of the best song writers. I don't think he gets much credit for his song writing. He is very underrated

But he is definitly a great song writer that's for sure and I think he deserves some appreciation for his great lyrics.

What do you think?

VERY true

and its quite sad really :(

Axl doesnt get credit for his well written songs because of the way people perceive him. They think he was/is such a nortorious rocker and drugs n alcohol are the only things he lives for. :fuckyou: Not too many critics have the patience to review n carefully listen to all songs he wrote but i bet if they did they would be fuckin amazed. :o

Axl's lyrics are such a hit because they are real and mostly related to his life. rock2

Axl doesnt get credit for his well written songs because of the way people perceive him. They think he was/is such a nortorious rocker and drugs n alcohol are the only things he lives for. :fuckyou: Not too many critics have the patience to review n carefully listen to all songs he wrote but i bet if they did they would be fuckin amazed. :o

Axl's lyrics are such a hit because they are real and mostly related to his life. rock2

I couldn't agree anymore rock2

He's not one of the best, and the topics he writes about are not diverse, among other things that make him inferior when compared to others...

However, I like him a lot as a lyricist. He's very good at writing simple, but yet very effective lyrics, that can be easily related to people's lives. They also look genuine, an expression of what he really feels, which is another reason why I like them so much.

I also think he wrote much better lyrics in the Illusion albums: Coma, Breakdown, Locomotive, Don't Damn Me, Estranged, etc.

His new songs prove, to me, that he still has that magic touch when it comes to lyrics. However, they're still not diverse. Except for his Catcher In The Rye lyrics, which has, I think, a topic he never explored before.

He's not one of the best, and the topics he writes about are not diverse, among other things that make him inferior when compared to others...

However, I like him a lot as a lyricist. He's very good at writing simple, but yet very effective lyrics, that can be easily related to people's lives. They also look genuine, an expression of what he really feels, which is another reason why I like them so much.

I also think he wrote much better lyrics in the Illusion albums: Coma, Breakdown, Locomotive, Don't Damn Me, Estranged, etc.

His new songs prove, to me, that he still has that magic touch when it comes to lyrics. However, they're still not diverse. Except for his Catcher In The Rye lyrics, which has, I think, a topic he never explored before.

"simple yet effective".......dude, go listen to Use Your Illusion I and II because its clear by that resopnse that you never paid any attention to them. go listen to Coma, that should be enough to change your incorrect opinion. maybe give Oh My God a listen, you will see what i am talking about. "simple yet effective" in no way shape or form defines anything GNR did or does

Edited by fridayfan13

"simple yet effective".......dude, go listen to Use Your Illusion I and II because its clear by that resopnse that you never paid any attention to them. go listen to Coma, that should be enough to change your incorrect opinion. maybe give Oh My God a listen, you will see what i am talking about. "simple yet effective" in no way shape or form defines anything GNR did or does

Actually, it's the chord progressions and key changes that make Coma fantastic, especially at the end. The lyrics, while well written and interesting, are in not that complex or thought provoking.

Great Melody

Great songs

Great voice

Great frontman,

I like a lot about Axl....

Great Lyracist? No.

They get the job done but they are nothing special.

I would consider a great lyracist to be Roger Waters or Bob Dylan not Axl Rose...his lyrics are nowhere near the guys I've mentioned. He's strong in so many other areas, this isn't meant to be a diss. I just think the lyrics are not bad, alright, do the job but can't be called GREAT...no way.

:krider:

Actually, it's the chord progressions and key changes that make Coma fantastic, especially at the end. The lyrics, while well written and interesting, are in not that complex or thought provoking.

Not sure you you can read the lyrics to Locomotive and NOT think this guy, when focused, it better than anybody out there. Sure you can grab some simplistic lyrics that fit certain types of songs, you can do that with any band, but there are enough songs where his lyrical stamp is obvious enough, that blow away anything I've heard at least, since. And I'm talking about shit he wrote in the Early 90's !

Democracy is going to be incredible, lyrically in my opinion.

Not sure you you can read the lyrics to Locomotive and NOT think this guy, when focused, it better than anybody out there. Sure you can grab some simplistic lyrics that fit certain types of songs, you can do that with any band, but there are enough songs where his lyrical stamp is obvious enough, that blow away anything I've heard at least, since. And I'm talking about shit he wrote in the Early 90's !

I was only referring to Coma. Since you mention it though, I think Locomotive was just as good as an instrumental as it was on the album. I like the song and the lyrics are ok, but nothing spectacular. GnR isn't famous because they write lyrically superior, thought provoking music.

I am admittedly biased as a guitar player, so take it for what it's worth. Chinese Democracy needs to be incredible, both lyrically and musically to justify the past 13 years and counting...

I think axl is a great lyricist. It is true that the lyrics to some of the songs are simple. Take Sweet Child O' Mine for example. Most agree its a great song at all levels. However, the lyrics are VERY simple and not in any way thought provoking--but this fits perfectly, lyrics to a sweet love song are not and should not be complex. The way the lyrics are written fits the purpose of the song. There is nothing wrong with simple lyric writing.

Axl can write some pretty heavy stuff, though. No matter what he writes, it always feels real and full of emotion. Just read Estranged and Coma, deep stuff in my opinion.

Edited by Whee1010

Great Melody

Great songs

Great voice

Great frontman,

I like a lot about Axl....

Great Lyracist? No.

They get the job done but they are nothing special.

I would consider a great lyracist to be Roger Waters or Bob Dylan not Axl Rose...his lyrics are nowhere near the guys I've mentioned. He's strong in so many other areas, this isn't meant to be a diss. I just think the lyrics are not bad, alright, do the job but can't be called GREAT...no way.

:krider:

I agree completely with your point... if making a similar list about you, I might add, "Great Speller? No."

I know that I am new to postings here but I assure you I have been a longtime GNR fan. However, except for a few songs, I have still bot been able to figure out who wrote the lyrics to a particular song, versus who wrote the music, etc. Does anyone know a site that has this info for each song? Thanx

I was only referring to Coma. Since you mention it though, I think Locomotive was just as good as an instrumental as it was on the album. I like the song and the lyrics are ok, but nothing spectacular. GnR isn't famous because they write lyrically superior, thought provoking music.

I am admittedly biased as a guitar player, so take it for what it's worth. Chinese Democracy needs to be incredible, both lyrically and musically to justify the past 13 years and counting...

I would'nt disagree with anything you're saying, except your take on the Locomotive lyrics. Keep on Jammin' rock1