Axl Rose lyrics Appreciation

Axl-rocks

Axl is a songwriter that prefers to write about himself.. his personal experiences, pain, relationships.. I can understand people that think he is not all that diverse, but I still think he's there among the great.. songs like Estranged, November Rain, Coma, Yesterdays, Civil War.. are very deep in my opinion, and very real, there's real emotion to his songs and you can feel it and relate to it.. even the simple ones like Don't Cry are good cuz they show his emotions in a very simle, transparent way, and it's very effective

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

axl's got balls, he puts it all out there in his lyrics, there real.......powerful... emotional and creative......it just hits home !

he is the best in my books! rock3

Edited by aussie_axl

Axl doesnt get credit for his well written songs because of the way people perceive him. They think he was/is such a nortorious rocker and drugs n alcohol are the only things he lives for. :fuckyou: Not too many critics have the patience to review n carefully listen to all songs he wrote but i bet if they did they would be fuckin amazed. :o

Axl's lyrics are such a hit because they are real and mostly related to his life. rock2

don't pass axl off as some innocent little boy that never did anything bad. true drugs weren't his life, but he did do a lot of drugs. fuck, when they first moved to L.A they had a house especially dedicated to doing drugs and having sex (from wht i understand). but with all that said, axl was a very good song writer as well as a good singer.

Dude, some of Axl's lyrics are pretty cool- estranged, the last 2 minutes of coma, don't damn me, etc.,

but some of his lyrics are real crap and pure cliche'- dead horse, most of the leaked songs (did i really see someone say better has great lyrics? gimme a break!).

i think that axl's lyrics are really straight forward... that's not necessarily a bad thing, but truly talented lyricists can express themselves with analogical writing, getting points across through symbolism rather then literal writing- see lennon, dylon, jim morrison, and even (though overall, I think he has nothing on Axl and is overrated) Cobain.

i just have such a hard time with people saying the new songs have solid lyrics. the blues, better, catcher, irs, and twat are just so boring lyrically... chinese dem. has some interesting lyrics, though.

peace,

screetcher

Dude, some of Axl's lyrics are pretty cool- estranged, the last 2 minutes of coma, don't damn me, etc.,

but some of his lyrics are real crap and pure cliche'- dead horse, most of the leaked songs (did i really see someone say better has great lyrics? gimme a break!).

i think that axl's lyrics are really straight forward... that's not necessarily a bad thing, but truly talented lyricists can express themselves with analogical writing, getting points across through symbolism rather then literal writing- see lennon, dylon, jim morrison, and even (though overall, I think he has nothing on Axl and is overrated) Cobain.

i just have such a hard time with people saying the new songs have solid lyrics. the blues, better, catcher, irs, and twat are just so boring lyrically... chinese dem. has some interesting lyrics, though.

peace,

screetcher

dead horse is brilliant

peace,

screetcher

i like the lyrics from 'better'.... i am sure you couldnt wright lyrics better then axl worst attempt at wrighting lyrics. you just have to understand what the words in the song mean then you will think the lyrics are cool if u havent already.

I think Axl is one of the best song writers. I don't think he gets much credit for his song writing. He is very underrated

But he is definitly a great song writer that's for sure and I think he deserves some appreciation for his great lyrics.

What do you think?

He is a great songwriter!!!! This is a great thread you started :)

I think Axl is one of the best song writers. I don't think he gets much credit for his song writing. He is very underrated

But he is definitly a great song writer that's for sure and I think he deserves some appreciation for his great lyrics.

What do you think?

He is a great songwriter!!!! This is a great thread you started :)

of course... its axl rose

I love the way he writes his lyrics..He's honest,and he's not afraid to show his true feelings. rock2

He's Brilliant.

Like Elton John once said:

"Axl is one of the best musicians in Rock and Roll History"

Edited by nathalie92

I love the way he writes his lyrics..He's honest,and he's not afraid to show his true feelings. rock2

He's Brilliant.

Exactly, i love that One in a Million song!!! I wore a GNR shirt with some of the lyrics of that song to school and it was hilarious at how many ppl got pissed off. Axl is definately not afraid to say what he thinks and what he belives in. And thats what makes him AXL Rose!!! I just love that in your face punk attitude of AXL! Hes a Fucking rocker who doesnt give a shit about what people think. Thats why GNR are the real deal! A lot of bands are fake and try not to offend ppl and that sucks.

I remember when Sebastian Bach wore that "AIDS Kills Fags Dead" Shirt at the MTV thing and ppl got mad and after that he was like I'm sorry and shit. Thats what pisses me off, ppl then try to cover up and say sorry and i didnt mean that. Who the Fuck cares? If thats what u believe in and if thats how u feel, then u shouldnt give a fuck about what others think about u.

He's Brilliant.

Exactly, i love that One in a Million song!!! I wore a GNR shirt with some of the lyrics of that song to school and it was hilarious at how many ppl got pissed off. Axl is definately not afraid to say what he thinks and what he belives in. And thats what makes him AXL Rose!!! I just love that in your face punk attitude of AXL! Hes a Fucking rocker who doesnt give a shit about what people think. Thats why GNR are the real deal! A lot of bands are fake and try not to offend ppl and that sucks.

I remember when Sebastian Bach wore that "AIDS Kills Fags Dead" Shirt at the MTV thing and ppl got mad and after that he was like I'm sorry and shit. Thats what pisses me off, ppl then try to cover up and say sorry and i didnt mean that. Who the Fuck cares? If thats what u believe in and if thats how u feel, then u shouldnt give a fuck about what others think about u.

I agree.

any pics of Sebastian wearing that shirt.

on an average gnr song the lyrics are good, but some are amazing, such as coma and locomotive, but there also have been shit lyrics like all of shot gun blues.

But in every single guns n roses song there is those few lines that capture you in a way, no matter how simple ur almost silly they are.

one of my favourite lyrics by axl is in locomotive "If love is blind i guess ill buy myself a cane." That is very simple but with the mood of the song its amazing. I also thing axl's voice makes lyrics sound better than what they really are. Like appetite wasnt a lyrical master piece, but it was powerful and you believed every word, thats what i think what great writing is. It isnt about using big complicated words and deep meanings, its sayin whats real, and axl always did that.

Edited by tuyfuvk17

What do you think?

I agree, I think Axl's attude makes people dislike him and he'sa not a suck ass so the cridic's ignore him. In my opinion axl rose is one of the most talented musician's of all time.................... DB

He's Brilliant.

That whole AIDS kills fags Dead thing seems to be a shot at ignorant people because of the grammer. Like "I'm gonna learn you good." :book: But I disagree with your reasoning on the one in a million lyrics. Axl seemed to of wrote those lyrics because he cared alot about what people thought not the other way around. I think he wrote it to rile people who take things too seriously.

Axl is a great lyricist, and in my opinion the two best examples of this are "One In A Million" and "Don't Damn Me." In fact, they form a rather obvious one-two-punch that pretty much sums up his sly, scorching style of lyricism. People who get offended by OIAM need to get over their prudish selves and recognize that a talented lyricist can write songs from the point of view of characters other than the writer's current self, and do so with brutal honesty. If you're still unsure, just listen to DDM, where he explains himself quite eloquently.

Oh, and for those of you holding Jim Morrison up as some bastion of great lyricism, smoking dope and jotting down the first thing that comes to your mind does not make you a good writer, and it sure as hell doesn't make you a poet. A lizard king? Maybe...

Edited by Mike McKagan

He's Brilliant.

I agree.

any pics of Sebastian wearing that shirt.

No bro, some dudes i know have this shirt and on the front it shows Sebastian wearing that shirt, but apart from that i havent seen any pictures.

Its hilarious how Sebastian says sorry and that he doesnt hate fags but i think it was when he opened for Aerosmith in Vancouver like several years ago, he played some small gig in this city called Surrey, and last song he played was a short one he made up with this local band called: FAG Drag!!!! It was fucking hilarious!!! I dont blame him, rock n' roll has no place for hooray for tolerance!s!!!

And to all of u saying that hes a retard for what he did, i say FUCK YOU!!!!

Axl doesnt get credit for his well written songs because of the way people perceive him. They think he was/is such a nortorious rocker and drugs n alcohol are the only things he lives for. :fuckyou: Not too many critics have the patience to review n carefully listen to all songs he wrote but i bet if they did they would be fuckin amazed. :o

Axl's lyrics are such a hit because they are real and mostly related to his life. rock2

don't pass axl off as some innocent little boy that never did anything bad. true drugs weren't his life, but he did do a lot of drugs. fuck, when they first moved to L.A they had a house especially dedicated to doing drugs and having sex (from wht i understand). but with all that said, axl was a very good song writer as well as a good singer.

Axl was hardly innocent even before he got to LA. there was alot of drug use and many songs were written under their influence. Hell half the lyrics were written on pizza boxes. He never denied drug use just most the others used more than him. But you can't deny drugs or no drugs the boy can write.