Associated Press says Slash may join, but not till after Hammerstein

slashplay

Oh come now, surely Axl made it perfectly clear a matter of days ago that there would not be a reunion. Yeah yeah you can say 'well he only said that...' and 'he could have meant that...', but you all know there isn't going to be any Slash involvement right now. Slash is the greatest but I don't want him to be a part of 'Chinese Democracy'. The other guys have worked hard, let them have a go... I admit it would be crazy if Guns reunited but then we would have to endure a reunion tour and I don't know about you guys but I want new music.

The old songs are classics but it's time to move on and see what Axl has been working on for so long. We've heard Velvet Revolver, Slash's Snakepit and all the solo work and they are good, VR are ace but they are all missing that one thing and that is Axl Rose.

I will not deny that anything is possible in the future. However, I find it highly unlikely that any of the old members will rejoin or have anything to do with Guns until 'Chinese Democracy' has closure. Once Axl has given all he has to offer. Then I want to think about a reunion. Now I want to see Guns N' Roses rock the world over...

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No new info, but atleast someone's talking about it.

Axl Rose Heralds New Guns N' Roses Album

May 8, 12:07 PM EST

The Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Rock recluse Axl Rose made a surprise radio appearance to proclaim that Guns N' Roses' 10-years-in-the-making "Chinese Democracy" album will finally hit store shelves this fall.

The comments Saturday on Eddie Trunk's syndicated radio show marked the first interview the painfully private Rose has given since his failed 2002 comeback tour, which was abruptly scrapped midway amid riots and canceled shows.

Rose's impromptu appearance came when former Skid Row frontman Sebastian Bach, who was co-hosting the show, called Rose's cell phone and patched the call through the studio.

Quizzed on when the near-mythical album would come out, Rose said, "Sometime this fall or late fall." His band could be heard rehearsing in the background. "It will be out this year."

Trunk invited Rose to drop by the studio, and about an hour later he did.

Asked about the aborted 2002 comeback tour, which ended when Rose failed to appear for a gig in Philadelphia, Rose told Trunk he felt pressured into doing it before he was ready. But he insisted he has no regrets, since the short-lived tour helped the new band members to gel. (The 2002 lineup included keyboard player Dizzy Reed from the original GNR, former Nine Inch Nails guitarist Robin Finck, bassist Tommy Stinson from the Replacements, guitar shredder Buckethead, drummer Brian "Brain" Mantia, formerly of Primus, guitarist Richard Fortus from the former Psychedelic Furs and Love Spit Love, and keyboard player Chris Pittman.)

"Can you tell people why the tour ended at that point?" asked Trunk.

"Umm, no, not exactly," Rose said, declining to discuss it.

Plans are currently in the works for Rose to relaunch his comeback by playing four shows at New York's Hammerstein Ballroom over the next 10 days, then head to Europe to play several music festivals.

Rose said the band at the Hammerstein shows will be similar to the one that played the 2002 tour, except for a new lead guitarist, whom he declined to identify except to say it's not an old GNR member.

(Story Continues On Next Page...)

(...Story Continued from Previous Page)

Buckethead left the band in 2004.

However, later in the broadcast, Rose seemed to contradict himself when he said he's been hobnobbing with former GNR guitarist and songwriter Izzy Stradlin, and strongly hinted that Stradlin may show up for the Hammerstein shows.

Former GNR guitar maestro Slash may end up back in the band as well, but probably not before the Hammerstein shows.

Have you never heard of a guest appearance? No, Slash isn't rejoining the band on a permanent basis. It doesn't mean he can't do a show or 2 playing the classics.

Things change. Axl said horrible things about Izzy too, and vice versa, and they are hanging out again.

The difference is Axl and Izzy are friends. Axl and Slash are not and never were.

Absolutly not.... ever.... and you know, Axl in fact wasn't member of GNR in first place, it was his evil twin... :ph34r::ph34r::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And yet while Axl hints that he expects Izzy to show up just to actually watch the show, everyone makes it a rumour about him joining GnR. And yeah, they must be thinking, why not include Slash in the rumor as well? :|

And yet while Axl hints that he expects Izzy to show up just to actually watch the show, everyone makes it a rumour about him joining GnR. And yeah, they must be thinking, why not include Slash in the rumor as well? :|

people blow everything outta proportion

ANYONE WANNA BET ON HOW MANY POSTS THERE HAVE TO BE UNTIL THIS TURNS INTO A REUNION THREAD?I MEAN REAL BETS

Have you never heard of a guest appearance? No, Slash isn't rejoining the band on a permanent basis. It doesn't mean he can't do a show or 2 playing the classics.

Things change. Axl said horrible things about Izzy too, and vice versa, and they are hanging out again.

The difference is Axl and Izzy are friends. Axl and Slash are not and never were.

a simple guest appearance is only going to lend more credibilty to this band to those who dont like it or consider it GNR. Especially once its over and the band is stlil together playing shows. :rofl-lol:

Which works in Axl's favor. Axl needs credibility after the failure of 2002. So if he can not only show that he is in this for the long haul, but that he has made up with his former lead guitarist, it only HELPS the new band.

And as for that first part, I think you're being more than just a bit silly. I suggest you go and read some of their old interviews. And also read Axl's quote about SLash from Jan 2006.

I just wanted people to know that atleast someone is reporting this, it's more than MTV's doing. There are enough reunion, and conspiracy threads out there already. Let's try to not make this one of them if we can.

and yet by doing this you create another thread aouta false reunion that people will discuss

we have many articles on this stupid idea, we should just make an entire topic about "what we're gonna do when we get a reunion"or "how many spider webs are going to be in this oatmeal when we get a reunion" or "do you think that banjo kazooie will still be a great game when we get a reunion"

Kind of odd to report that Slash and Izzy may be returning. Why would the guitarists in the current lineup bother to stick around if it was only a temporary gig?

Too fucking weird, it's as if Axl has two versions of GN'R planned :huh:

i think that axls managment is leaking the info! they are getting media hype and it is working! i believe 100% that slash is back! i dont think axl would take his band on stage with the rolling stones without slash in the lineup....it would be suicide! why get all the attention in the news if it wasnt true! axl is a smart man, and has slash where he wants him! velvet revolver was ok, but slash now knows he can be replaced. i saw them in moline illinois in 2002 and all they had was cky and mix master mike. if he had confidence he would had heavy hitters as opening acts. Avenged seven fold, metalica, and the rolling stones.........thers no way he would do that without slash! but this is a hardcore fan that wont give up on gnr ruling the world again talking.

The same article is posted on CNN, Yahoo News, and others becase it is an Associated Press article.

I am surprised that they had stuff that Axl did not even say, given it is the AP. You wonder what else do they make up?

The same article is posted on CNN, Yahoo News, and others becase it is an Associated Press article.

I am surprised that they had stuff that Axl did not even say, given it is the AP. You wonder what else do they make up?

The article does not quote Axl on the Slash part. So, I think it's safe to assume they have another source that offered that comment or they wouldn't have written it.

If you recall, Axl didn't address the Slash rumor directly on Eddie's show. All he said was that the original GNR lineup would not be reuniting to play shows in Europe. But that wasn't the rumor. The rumor was that talks were underway for Slash to rejoin GNR, and it wouldn't likely happen before the end of the European shows. Axl did not address this.

Fact 2: If there are 3 guitarists on stage this friday, then those three will continue together. If Slash is coming back AFTER the Hammersmith gig, then Axl will make do with Robin and Richard for those four shows.

I disagree. Axl already told us the band has a new guitarist. But that doesn't necessarily mean he is sticking around. I have a theory, if this whole Slash thing is true (the rumour that just won't die!!!!)...back in mid April Blabbermouth reported that Joshua Craig auditioned for GN'R. Why would Guns audition someone to take Bucket's place so close to the first show (not even one month later)? Answer: because the dude is just a fill in for four shows. It's not a permanent arrangement.

I'd love for Slash to come back but I refuse to get carried away. These rumours could easily be complete bullshit. My heart tells me yes, but my head tells me no. After all that has happened, now that Chi Dem is probably finished, I can't see Axl not seeing it through to the end. Think he actually puts almost ten years into this project and when the tree starts to bear fruit he decides to do something else? I mean it's not like the fans hated his demos. We loved them. I'm sure the record company loved them too. If this wasn't the case I could see Axl having second thoughts. He's been working with these new guys for years and their work is ready to be unleashed and they know it's quality. Even those fans that hate the new band can't be too critical of the music. I hate to agree with A_D, but a reunion now just does not make sense...not from Axl's perspective at least. I'm afraid it's just a lot of wishful thinking on our part.

Luckily for me, no matter which way things go, I will be happy. Unlike some people here who will be in mourning if the old band shows up, and others who will be in mourning if it doesn't. Good music is good music.

Look, it would be sick to have all of these musicians around for the long haul and finally complete this huge project only to be offed by allowing old members back. I want CD and the people that played it.

Second, Slash can not play the current material he's opposite buckethead in style. I love slash but these are licks he just couldn't pull off. He plays with soul but not technical shredding.

IF slash play as a guest at a couple shows on a couple song, I could see this as a very grown up way of showing the world and each other that Axl and Slash can forgive and forget. If that LATER led to them working together full time again, great, if not, it's still a wonderful gesture and would mean a lot to them and us fans. Let CD be what it is with the people that have stuck it out building it. They deserve it.

If slash came up for a couple shows to play SCOM or NR that would be a very heart warming tribute to a friendship between he and Axl....I don't see any reason not to have something so wonderful happen, I do see it as a very long shot though.

Keep in mind that Guns took the influence, and often the path, of Aerosmith...so I do think a reunion is possible if they follow that well worn blueprint...just not in the middle of this new project blowing up!

Edited by mcalldp

Rock In Rio lineup:

Axl - Vocals

Slash - Lead guitar

Izzy - Guitar

Duff - Bass

Matt - Drums

Dizzy - Keyboards

Its retarded fucking posts like this that give fuel to these types of rumors. Quit being stupid. Axl is not rehersing the current lineup in NY only to open up the fucking tour with the Illusion Era lineup.

You don't fucking know what Axl is going to do. In this shit storm that we call the world of GNR the things Axl says don't mean shit. And you know damn well that if the original lineup toured this year that you would be just as fucking happy as the rest of us. Grow up.

a simple guest appearance is only going to lend more credibilty to this band to those who dont like it or consider it GNR. Especially once its over and the band is stlil together playing shows. :rofl-lol:

Ok so Axl and Slash were never friends? Yeah ok believe what you want but I think I'll believe what's real.

Oh btw, I know I'd rather see the REAL, and yes I don't give a fuck, this is not the real GNR, than seeing Axl and a bunch of nobodies playing covers of Guns N' Roses. Dizzy I can accept since he was with em during the old days, but the rest are just session musicians as far as I'm concerned. This ain't a fucking band. This is the Axl Rose Project. When's the last time you saw a promo photo with all the guys together? Never. With all that said, I'm excited as hell to be seeing em in NYC in a few days, but goddamn if I don't hope Izzy rejoins just so I can fuckin say I told you so to everyone who said none of the old guys would ever come back. Oh and he is also a top notch songwriter who could lend so much more to the new songs than any of these other "members" could ever hope to. Comon we all know that none of the new stuff, except The Blues, can hold a candle to any classic GNR song like Jungle, PC, SCOM, November Rain, Estranged etc.

NYC here I come!!!!

in my opinion slash joining would restore all cred!, it would be the biggest fucking news ever!, they will take over the world again!, lets just hope nothing goes wrong!.

definitley, but i dont recall Axl mentioning slash rejoining sometime during the tour. I remember him saying shit about Izzy...

Brisbane 4 life!

V.

why would Slash do a bone-headed thing like this?
Because he's Slash.And that's what he does.

*slow clap* oh hahahaha....

rofl :rofl-lol:

seriously, slash coming out to do estranged at RIR? people talk so much shit... if this actually happened, which i hightly doubt, it would no doubt be cool to see but not really fair to the new guys who have worked hard and stayed loyal.