Greatest Hits Opinion

Gash

My Opinion  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I always refrain when possible from buying greatest hits and/or best of's because I feel that not only are they usually not representative of the artist's best work but that I prefer the cohesiveness of a proper studio album. You know, where it has the sequencing and the flow that the artists intended rather than a bunch of tracks slopped together by some record executives.

Do people agree or am I just being a snob?

Guest cherry_bomb

no youre not being a snob. i think it entirely depends on the track listing. like, my parents only listen to GNR greatest hits out of all their material, because it suits them better.

if you didnt buy a greatest hits album because you dont like the idea of greatest hits albums, you could possiby be a music snob. best of albums have a stigma in the music world, a lot of people see them as a gateway to becoming more mainstream, as theyre more accessible to everyone.

as i said, if the tracking is good and its well compiled, then i'll buy it.

I've been listening to Gn'R for the past 8 years, and originally, it was only the hits. With no real income, I never bought the albums until a few years ago. I was delighted with Greatest Hits, as it had the songs I grew up with, and all the classics, in one. Obviously, i branched out too, and found all their amazing stuff, but if it wasn't for GH, I probably only would've listened to a few songs from time to time.

It completely removes any thought or reason when taken out of its original context.

Plus best ofs usually consist of a few of the obvious hits, a remix of a popular fave and a couple of live tracks, usually not made by the original line up.

And I hate those economy best ofs from obscure foreign labels. That takes the biscuit.

An album is an opus. A snapshot of where the band was at that point in time. Every song is linked, the tracks have been placed in a certain order so that you get the best experience possible.

It's not the same with a greatest hits.

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

The only compilations I like are those that contain mostly material unavailable on the studio albums, for exampe Substance or Louder Than Bombs.

Guest katie

i agree

but i am a hypocrite

and i buy them to get a genera idea of a band before i buy their albums

like adam ant, who i lvoe...but not enough to really care

The only reason i buy greatest hits albums is to see if i like enough of the band to go out and buy their albums such as what i've recently done with Def Leppard and Nazareth rock3

Edited by Mama Kin

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789
The only reason i buy greatest hits albums is to see if i like enough of the band to go out and buy their albums such as what i've recently done with Def Leppard and Nazareth rock3

You see, I'd rather just buy their most famous album.

You see, I'd rather just buy their most famous album.

I do that with some bands. I did it with Guns N' Roses, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin and Motley Crue to name a few.

Guest JohnUlmer

It's a good way of becoming introduced to a band.

Once you become a fan it becomes pointless because you go out and usually get the albums anyway, and realize songs you like a lot aren't as well-known.

It is good for publicity, but normally the tracklistings are awful! (eg: GNR greatest Hits)-sorry but it had to be done.

rock4

You're quite right...I really don't think "Since I don't have you" belonged on their "greatest hits" CD....I can think of tons of other songs that deserved to be there....I also think it could have had a much longer playlist.

An album is an opus. A snapshot of where the band was at that point in time. Every song is linked, the tracks have been placed in a certain order so that you get the best experience possible.

It's not the same with a greatest hits.

That's exactly how I see it. I also find with compilations that it makes buying the next album difficult. You think to yourself "do I buy their best album, which I already have half of, or do I buy an average one which I have a couple of tacks from?" It's kind of a no win situation. So now I always try to get the best album, and then look for recommendations from other fans.

Edited by Maddergascar

According to the poll, seems that I'm mostly agreed with but the deliberating factor is whether or not I'm a pretentious snob haha.

Anyway, some good points there which I didn't really think of. I very much agree with Maddergascar's post because I've been in the situation many times before and is partly one of my reasons for being apprehensive of greatest hits.

Maybe as file sharing becomes more wide-spread and the internet plays a greater factor in introducing people to new music, then greatest hits albums will become generally more unneccessary as people will only buy albums that they are fans of and like a lot of their stuff?

Guest JohnUlmer

It is good for publicity, but normally the tracklistings are awful! (eg: GNR greatest Hits)-sorry but it had to be done.

rock4

You're quite right...I really don't think "Since I don't have you" belonged on their "greatest hits" CD....I can think of tons of other songs that deserved to be there....I also think it could have had a much longer playlist.

Since I Don't Have You WAS one of their greatest hits, though. That's the reason it was included. It was released as a single and climbed the charts (albeit nowhere near as high as Appetite or Illusion material did).

It wasn't a Best-Of. It was an album of their successful singles. Although I'm sure in due time we'll receive a Best-Of, especially after these damned Chinese Democracy albums finally come out and there is more material to package.