Gnr fans reviews from NYC May 12 Gig

darknemus

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overall it was an excellent show. There were some really obvious fuckups on some of the solos. I thought it was robin who was butchering the solos. Axl fucking rocked out, tons of energy excellent performance, I was only ten feet away from the guy!!!

so MR.ROBIN strikes again?

Guys just read this thread I made while drnking a nice hot cup of shut the fuck up! :rolleyes:

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/i...p?topic=29864.0

Kannon.

I just got home now. B)

So, I'll just add a few quick comments to dark's review.

First, I have to say Axl looked happier and healther than I've ever seen him during a performance before. I've never seen him genuinely smile and laugh during a gig as often as he did this evening - and hopefully that's a sign for the shows/tour to come. As dark mentioned - Axl's stage presence, image and sound were dead on tonight.

Also, it appears he listened to fans' comments about his attire. ;) He finally dumped those God-awful oversized jerseys - and jumped onto the stage wearing a cool leather shirt, jeans and sunglasses. He even wore his leather jacket to the after-party. *Finally, he's looking like a rocker again!*

Axl's voice - as dark mentioned - was strong and hit all the notes, which was cool. I have to admit I was a little concerned when sweat was pouring off his face after the first two songs. But I guess it was just adrenaline because he didn't have any stamina problems throughout the entire show, and his voice remained strong - although I have to admit his voice did get a little high-pitched - slightly "helium" sounding - for one or two of the AFD songs late in the set. Still, overall, his voice was solid.

When it comes to guitarists, I thought Robin totally stole the show. He dominated from start to finish. His talent, charisma, and colorful stage presence were second-to-none.

I'd also like to add that there was real chemistry between the band members - especially between Axl, Robin, Dizzy and Richard - which was not there in 2002. They really geled as a band, and looked like a band.

As for Bumblefoot - honestly, I'm not sure what he was doing there. He seemed overwhelmed with everything and stayed inconspicuously off to the side of the stage for most the show. When he took to the front to do a couple of guitar solos, they were dull and simplistic. To give you an idea of what I mean - People beside me actually sat down both times he played his guitar solos - and then stood up for the rest of the show. I think he's talented, but isn't choosing the right guitar solos to allow himself to shine.

Highlights: Baz playing with Axl. It was an amazing sight. The energy level both onstage and through audience feedback to the song was awesome.

Also, Axl singing "Better" - which he described as a "Robin song." This track has hit written all over it. Amazing song.

As for the opening act - Bullet for my Valentine - I disagree with dark. I didn't think the band was bad at all. In fact, I think it was much better than the CKY/Mixmaster Mike duo that opened for Axl in 2002. Bullet was kind of like Three Doors Down - on acid and steroids. lol.

Well, it's now 5:49am - so I guess I'll stop there and add more comments tomorrow.

this isnt my review but i found it in a comment on the set list on blabber mouth. its a pretty gd read

The crowd was ecstatic throughout the night. BFMV got booed to hell(deservingly so) and they cut their set short maybe 10 mins(I think anyway.) The stage guys put up the big GNR flags. They were redish with a cream type background, with the GNR logo in a black and white color. Awesome looking. The lights dimmed and they kicked into Jungle, which of course got a massive crowd response. I'm telling you Axl rocked the house. He was so much than in 2002. He had way more energy and his voice was absolutely perfect. He sounded like the old Axl but even better. He ran around the stage and didn't seem to be out of breath at all. Next they played It's So Easy and then Mr. Brownstone before launching into Better, one of the leaks. It was amazing live. Axl hit every note dead on. His scream in the middle was perfect.

SCOM, Knockin on Heaven's Door were great as always. Next came band intros. When introducing Brain(drums), Axl said "Where was this guy when we hired Matt?" lol classic Axl there. Then they broke into You Could Be Mine. The scream at the end, well Axl hit that dead on with no problems at all.

Dizzy then sat down at the grand piano and did a little piano solo before going into The Blues. This is definately going to be a future GNR classic for sure. The emotion Axl put into his voice during this song was amazing. Also I gotta say that Robin Finck really surprised me tonight. He was dead on, unlike in 2002. He now has real long hair and a beard, which I think looks good on him. Next was Madagascar and again, they played this flawlessly.

Next Axl sat down at the piano and they went into November Rain. This was the most emotional part of the night. This song is just a work of art and is no doubt the greatest GNR song ever. Axl was dead on in his singing and playing. What pissed me off some was when Bumblefoot fucked up a bit of the end solo. Slash would never do that...

Sebastian Bach singing with Axl on My Michelle was so fuckin awesome. Great job on Bach's part, and he rocked like hell as always.

Later they played TWAT which sounded awesome live. Crowd was singing along to this one and Better earlier. Before they played I.R.S. Axl said "I see you fuckers are singing the songs, you must have downloaded em!" Funny stuff there. I.R.S. sounded a helluva lot better live than the demo leak.

Next was a Robin Finck guitar solo. He was great, a lot better than his horrid playing in 2002. Also, all 3 guitarists were playing Les Pauls. Then they broke into Paradise City and the crowd was fuckin explosive. The entire band nailed the song note for note and Axl was flawless in his vocals, even after going through 2 hours he didn't miss a note. Robin jumped into the crowd at the end and was crowd surfing a bit before getting back on stage.

Everything was flawless, except for the little fuckup in the end solo of NR(shame on you Bumblefoot, learn from Slash...), but all in all everything went down smooth as silk, with no idiots getting thrown out and no fuckin cameras(to my knowledge) in Axl's face. Axl was sporting the braids, but he was wearing a pair of jeans and a black shirt, no jersey's which I thought was fuckin awesome. He looked very old school tonight. It was indeed a terrific show and to anyone that still has a chance to go, well this is a show you DO NOT want to miss. Axl Rose and GNR are truly back and whatever any haters may say, this band played the fuck out of these songs! Sure, I'd love to see Slash and Izzy back too, but until that happens, this band rocked.

I'm glad i was right about his clothes. I knew he would change them. I liked the jeans and the leather shirt with the neckless and shit.

Where are all the people who told me to fuck off and saying Axl looked cool in those rediculous hiphop sporting clothes? "He don't need to change his style he looks cool". Well fuck you now he looks cool and dresses like a 44 y/o rockstar. rock1

Authorized Dealer,

You just became my personal hero...

I can't quite make out Axl's voice at times, but this is the first great bootleg I've heard from the new Guns...

Everything sounds very positive from the first night... Let's hope it stays that way...

Thanks again, Dealer... That's the best high I've gotten in a while!

Wow! Thanks everyone! I'm listening to the audio of the whole show now and it sounds awesome! Its making me more and more excited about seeing them in Europe!! Also, Axl looks fab in the photos! Very cool gear indeed. Anyway, thanks again. Looking forward to more opinions as the New York shows continue.

Also, I'm gonna be taking loads of photos at the Paris gig I have tickets for..I'm a bit of a photo taking freak at concerts lol. So, I plan to queue really early so I can be right up front! :D :D :D

What an amazing, amazing show that was.

We went to Mustang Harry's for a few hours mid-day - what an interesting group that was. Definitely a good place to go to get in the mood, although you really couldn't hear the GNR playing - it was down too low.

Decided to head over to the line about 7:30 when doors opened (had floor tickets). Much to our surprise, at 7:30 the doors had yet to open and the line was about 3 1/2 blocks long. Seemed like everyone who had a ticket was in line at 7:30. Doors finally opened and we found a spot about 10-12 people back from the stage on the right by 8:45.

Bullet is terrible terrible terrible. Ugh. After an hour of "the greatest hits of rock history" blasting over the PA, GNR took the stage....

Rather than doing a play-by-play (others have done that) - I thought I'd include my observations from the show.

1) I was BLOWN AWAY by how good Axl looked and sounded. He looked very cool - and actually made it through the whole show with NO costume changes. Just straight rock. His voice was in top shape to say the least. For those of you going later this week or seeing him in Europe - you're not going to believe it. He's also greatly improved his stage presence and energy over the 2002 tours. Can't say enough.

2) It seemed like after the rabid reaction during WTTJ and ISE, the crowd stood stunned in disbelief that a) it was actually Axl and B) he looked and sounded so amazing. I thought maybe some of the people around us were losing interest in the show because they were just standing there, but in between songs I overheard about 5 people say "This is f'ing unreal".

3) The duet with Bach was off the charts amazing. God, music today is so void of powerful great front men and seeing two of them duet together was something to behold.

4) The new guitarist was so-so. His solo was pretty pointless in my opinion.

5) TWAT, IRS and Better all translated well - in fact, I'd say TWAT was the highlight of the new songs.

6) People are talking about it being rough - I didn't feel that way at all. We were off to the side a little bit, but other than a little pushing here and there I thought it was pretty tame. VR at the 9:30 club in DC a few years ago was FAAAAARRRR more insane.

7) Why do people get so freaking drunk at these things? Maybe I'm just an old fart (33 yrs old) but there were several people around us puking and spending most of the show with their eyes closed. Genius.

Can't wait to hear about the rest of the shows. I'll be happy to post more if people have more questions about the show. The story of the night though was the amazing return to form of Axl Rose. WOW.

I'm not surprised that Bumblefoot seemed abit overwhelmed by it all, who wouldn't? He's playing for one of the biggest bands in rock history for the first time. There's shit loads of pressure on him. I think in the upcoming warm up show and other shows he'll come out abit more and end up being a real asset to the band.

From Buckethead to Bumblefoot. I'm open to the possibilities, I don't care. I'm excitied the band is back and I am fuckin sick of rap music.

Great setlist, I'm sure it will be the same tomorrow night when I'm there.

I'll post a solid review of the show as soon as I get home.

Drew Stone

www.stonefilmsnyc.com