Gnr fans reviews from NYC May 12 Gig

darknemus

OMG. Unfuckinbelievable last night!!!

My friend is a fireman in Chicago so I skipped the whole line as soon as doors openned so I got up to like 4 rows back. Made eyecontact with Axl a few times!!!

IT was crazy pushy for the first 4 songs. I was in the midst of it all.

All I can say for now is that my dream has come true. AXL ROSE IS FUCKIN BACK IN A BIG WAY!!!

I'm sorry I lost my voice last night so unfortunately I can not post too much tonight. I will be able to post more when i get it back.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never seen such a lackluster performance by a guitar player. Bumblefoot's guitar solo sucked all the energy out of the room. That guy sucks. He looks like some hack player from a karaoke band. This was our "suprise" WHERE IS IZZY?????

The show rocked otherwise

Awesome, really impressed from my take on last evening, I was buried up At stage left, I was blown away, I had the luxury of talking to Merck and Richard Fortis' lady for quite a long time....Axl worked it like he should, Finck was very good imo as was everyone else, Mr Rose impressed me ,I AM not easily impressed, I ve seen GNR 21 times dating back to '87 and I saw the "new" band in 2002 this show ranked at the tops, Mr Rose was in fuckin overdrive and when Sebastion Bach came out it took it even higher..Props to GNR and Axl....this is the way it should be done....and if you go to one of the remaining shows....hold on tight you'll be in for a treat and a half!!!!!

"BETTER" LIVE JUST BLEW ME THE FUCK AWAY.....THEY WERE ALL SO TIGHT !

I just got home now.

So, I'll just add a few quick comments to dark's review.

First, I have to say Axl looked happier and healther than I've ever seen him during a performance before. I've never seen him genuinely smile and laugh during a gig as often as he did this evening - and hopefully that's a sign for the shows/tour to come. As dark mentioned - Axl's stage presence, image and sound were dead on tonight.

Also, it appears he listened to fans' comments about his attire. He finally dumped those God-awful oversized jerseys - and jumped onto the stage wearing a cool leather shirt, jeans and sunglasses. He even wore his leather jacket to the after-party. *Finally, he's looking like a rocker again!*

Axl's voice - as dark mentioned - was strong and hit all the notes, which was cool. I have to admit I was a little concerned when sweat was pouring off his face after the first two songs. But I guess it was just adrenaline because he didn't have any stamina problems throughout the entire show, and his voice remained strong - although I have to admit his voice did get a little high-pitched - slightly "helium" sounding - for one or two of the AFD songs late in the set. Still, overall, his voice was solid.

When it comes to guitarists, I thought Robin totally stole the show. He dominated from start to finish. His talent, charisma, and colorful stage presence were second-to-none.

I'd also like to add that there was real chemistry between the band members - especially between Axl, Robin, Dizzy and Richard - which was not there in 2002. They really geled as a band, and looked like a band.

As for Bumblefoot - honestly, I'm not sure what he was doing there. He seemed overwhelmed with everything and stayed inconspicuously off to the side of the stage for most the show. When he took to the front to do a couple of guitar solos, they were dull and simplistic. To give you an idea of what I mean - People beside me actually sat down both times he played his guitar solos - and then stood up for the rest of the show. I think he's talented, but isn't choosing the right guitar solos to allow himself to shine.

Highlights: Baz playing with Axl. It was an amazing sight. The energy level both onstage and through audience feedback to the song was awesome.

Also, Axl singing "Better" - which he described as a "Robin song." This track has hit written all over it. Amazing song.

As for the opening act - Bullet for my Valentine - I disagree with dark. I didn't think the band was bad at all. In fact, I think it was much better than the CKY/Mixmaster Mike duo that opened for Axl in 2002. Bullet was kind of like Three Doors Down - on acid and steroids. lol.

Well, it's now 5:49am - so I guess I'll stop there and add more comments tomorrow.

Hi Madison.......I didn't see you at the afterparty.......what were you wearing?

nice review........the electricity of the concert was amazing!!!! I was on the floor. level...mostly........

saw a LOT of people!!!

I thought Bullet rocked too.........and Baz.....N.Y. you're CRAZY!!!!

and "downloading Motherfuckers"........The helium sound I disagree with..it's called an octave RANGE.....

and both he and Baz have one..or four.......

glad you had a good time,

did it smell like weed in there to you?....and you can't go wrong with denim and leather....ask Mr. Mojo

KUDOS!

WARCHILD

KUDOS!

WARCHILD

Guys,

I wanted last night to kick ass, but come on, the band really is so lame now and they looked horrible up there on stage. I don't even know where to begin, but let me list the problems with this new band that should be ashamed to call themselves Guns N Roses:

1. Bumblefoot: Seriously, this guy looks like a complete dweeb and he had no energy or flare what-so-ever. How can he be the replacement for Slash/Bucket? Forget about his mediocore guitar playing abilities, his image was just flat out boring.

2. Robin Fink: He looks terrible! Like a bushwaker or something. He just looked so bedraggled and dirty and again, his look is so far off from what Guns N Roses was/should be, that I can't accept this guy as a member of Guns.

3. The AXL / LEAD GUITARIST Balance is gone: This is by far the biggest problem with this new band. Axl needs a lead guitarist that's larger to life to play with, someone to share the stage and be just as exciting as him. But now there's nothing exciting to look at, say what you will, THE LOSS OF BUCKETHEAD has destroyed this new GNR. Admit it guys, the new GNR Axl had in mind is not this, this is only the backup plan. I worried that we were going to get a watered down version of the 2001-2 band, and we did.

4. THE ONE QUESTION THAT MAKES NO SENSE: Why did Axl breakup the old band so he could take the music forward, and yet, all he does is play mostly the old material?

5. Axl leaving out lyrics: He didn't even sing the opening to Paradise city, he just blew the whistle, what gives? I was watching him too during there was a time, and he was constantly choosing not to sing most of the outro. Why?

6. Overall, I am so over caring about this new Guns N Roses: Guys, we waited so patiently, but now the only solution, the only thing that can save Axl is to get Slash and the guys back together. Again, I emplore all of to go watch clips of what Guns used to be, and then try and call this new band Guns N Roses. While Axl is in shape, he does look older and a bit silly singing songs like You Could Be Mine and My Michelle...Those were songs that epitimized the old bands attitude, style, look and feel; this new band has none of that It's like a bunch of posers up on stage trying to be cool and hip just because they see Guns N Roses on the drum set. I will buy the album when it comes out, but i really don't have a desire anymore to see this new band live...none of the musicians are interesting, and Axl is just looking old these days. It's sad, but Guns N Roses is over. Axl should name this band something else and let Guns go down for what it was, not this new shit.

Kaneda, I have never meant this more....FUCK OFF! <_<

...Overall, I am so over caring about this new Guns N Roses...

...Just like the majority of us are over caring about your posts Kaneda.

Do us all a favour...

...don't come back. ;)

GUYS GUYS, LETS NOT START A RIOT

i haven't lit my torch and grabbed my pitchfork yet

maybe u should spend less time worrying about the image and the drama of the band and how "they are going to change the world" and more time listening to the music and going to the gigs. they are a band if u dont like the music u dont listen to it. go watch some old tapes or somthing. the old gnr didnt change the world for the better so this one wont either. ur like using gnr to define ur personality or somthing. axl doesnt have to please u. there were thousands last night who enjoyed themselves ie the band did their job

Edited by steveysham

You guys are so blind...seriously...this new band is a joke of what GNR used to be. Do any of you remember what made GUNS N ROSES so great? It sure as hell wasn't what was up there on stage last night. I mean, please. You have all these guitarist sharing solos all night long? So stupid. A band should have a talented lead guitarist and let him take ALL THE SOLOS! You never know where to look and who's doing what solo. I don't really care, you guys will waste all of your time analyzing this same shitty setlist from now until the fall. This GNR is lame.