matt sorum bashing!

Those so-called "nobodies" are the ones who have a tremendous impact on music when they find the right opportunities. Matt's had a good ride, and he is a decent drummer, but his latest work is absolutely generic and far from memorable.

Rubbish. Matt's work is top notch as always. Let the "nobodies" try to take their chance, matt has already taken his. He was good enough as a young musician that the cult took him on, and he produced platinum records and great tours. He was good enough in the cult that GnR took him on, and he was part of 2 huge labums and a gigantic tour. He helped form VR, and another huge album followed.

Great players are the ones who HAVE taken their chances, not the ones that could.

see sig! i dont think it was anything personal. Its just that Brain is leagues ahead of Matt in almost every way.

Agreed, and he doesn't look like a headbanging hedgehog while playing either.

Brian Mantia is just another journeyman musician. nothing special. Matt Sorum has had huge albums with The Cult, GnR and Velvet Revolver. Brian is a nobody. If he leaves GnR tomorrow he is forgotten.

Those so-called "nobodies" are the ones who have a tremendous impact on music when they find the right opportunities. Matt's had a good ride, and he is a decent drummer, but his latest work is absolutely generic and far from memorable.

Yeah, being a "nobody" has no bearing whatsoever on whether or not the guy is a good drummer or not. Case in point, Meg White is a very well known drummer.

Matt was good enough, I like what he did on the Illusions and I do think he's even better in VR. But I would agree that Brain is a better drummer.

Rubbish. Matt's work is top notch as always. Let the "nobodies" try to take their chance, matt has already taken his. He was good enough as a young musician that the cult took him on, and he produced platinum records and great tours. He was good enough in the cult that GnR took him on, and he was part of 2 huge labums and a gigantic tour. He helped form VR, and another huge album followed.

Great players are the ones who HAVE taken their chances, not the ones that could.

He was just a hedgehog along for the ride.

~M

You're not really getting what I'm saying. My opinion of Matt was just an opinion. If you think he's top notch, fine with me. I just don't think he's that great. We all know Matt's taken his chance, but I said that certain people who aren't recognized for their instrumental skills, or "nobodies" as you called them, find their opportunities when they come to them. The problem is that you're not seeing that Brain is in the exact same position that Matt was in. Matt was taken in for the Illusions, and that's that. Brain has been taken in for CD, and it's the same situation. Brain is now getting his chance. If CD is a big success, Brain will no longer be a nobody, and he knows he has a great opportunity.

My point is that Matt was a nobody at one point too and he found his opportunity, just like Brain is doing now with GN'R. I still don't think Matt's work is well done, that's all I'm saying.