New Yorker article bashing GN'R

mynameisjonas

Critic's Notebook

Sticking to his Guns

The Likelihood of a Guns N' Roses show happening-even when sold out, as are this week's concertts at the Hammerstein Ballroom-is small. An album called "Chinese Democracy" has been in the works for years and is the Area 51 of rock. By now, Guns N' Roses are one big ontological riddle: if it's only Axl, is it really Guns N' Roses? Rose and some iteration of G.N.R. played at "Rock In Rio" in 2001 and debuted a song called "Madagascar" which used sampled drum loops and snippets of speeches by Martin Luther King, Jr., to create something that sounded very little like Guns n' Roses and a lot like Rose singing ove an Enigma track. In another live track available online, Rose thanks the crowd for being gamblers. He knows that the excitement of seeing Guns N' Roses has been replaced by the exitement of possibly not seeing them. t this point, it might be better if Guns N' Roses did not turn up. The original records would keep doing the work, and a riot might ensue, a more accurate (if also more actionable) expression of the band's spirt than whatever music they are, or aren't, making.

-Sasha Frere-Jones

------

aka Sasha hooray for tolerance!-Asshat.

Who cares what the New Yorker says?

Axl, as it's his latest hang out for months, and the rest of NY.

The good news tough(?) This New Yorker is an idiot talking about shit from 5 years ago, completely out of touch with what's happening now. As an original New Yorker I can say one of these guys does surface every so often, but please don't hold it, in whole, against the rest of the best city in the USA.

This is called backlash...

Get ready for more. :)

No, really, get Srrrash's dick out of your mouth now, it is getting shrimpled.

Suddenly the tools who live in the past are for the corporate media..... :chef:

The reactions of the people who went to the show and those of the critics (many who may have not even gone to the show) seem to be extremely different. Even those fans who could not care for Axl's 'new band' seem to have changed 'faith' as the show proved that Axl may still have fuel for his fire.

This is just an observation of mine.

Many critics seem to already have a mindset for their 'review' even before witnessing the actual event. Risky journalism that is.

Edited by IndiannaRose

Many critics seem to already have a mindset for their 'review' even before witnessing the actual event. Risky journalism that is.

exactly. This goofy bitch wasn't even at the show. Shes just a disgruntled Slash fan like the few asshats who still linger here drooling over articles like this.

so what its just 1 critic

1 of many. :)

Here's another :)

DATE: Sunday, May 14, 2006 @ 6:30 AM

AUTHOR: By Debby Rao, Boston Contributor

SOURCE: KNAC.COM

Guns N' Roses In New York City

They're back!!! Guns N' Roses, one of the most controversial rock bands of the 80's are back in full force

taking New York by storm with a fury that hit like ya like a freight train.

Guns N' Roses performed their first concert since 2002 last night at the historic Hammerstein Ballroom in

New York City. Last night's concert was the first of four sold out GNR shows which are slated to take place

May 14, May 15 and May 17. All four concerts sold out in 3 minutes. Pretty amazing for a band who hasn't

toured since 2002.

Last time I saw GNR perform was on the Use Your Illusion Tour in 1990.at the Worcester Centrum. I have

always loved their music, and tonight's concert was everything I thought it would be. Up Close and Personal,

In Your Face, Axl Rose at his best!!!

Driving down 95, it may have been raining buckets but nothing could damper the mood for the day. We

were going to see GNR perform in a very rare club appearance.

New York City was alive and well, the city that never sleeps, and that sure held true tonight. It is good to

see somethings never change.

This was my first time seeing a concert at the Hammerstein Ballroom. The historic venue which is right int he

center of Manhattan and was the perfect venue for this GNR concert. The place doesn't have a bad seat, and

the sound system was amazing.

We were right down on the floor, and had a great view of the band. Opening the show was Bullet For My

Valentine. I recently got to see them perform on the Rob Zombie Tour. Their modern day set with great

melodies was better received on the Rob Zombie Tour. It was clear the audience was their to see one band

their heroes Guns N' Roses.

The excitement in the air was so thick you could cut it with a knife. hit the stage right at 11 P.M. and played

till 1:15 A.M. in the morning. GNR performed most their hits, taking their fans into the future with this stellar

new line-up that includes new guitarist Ron Thal of Bumblefoot fame , who didn't disappoint the die-hard

GNR fans.

Opening with "Welcome To The Jungle", Axl Rose dressed in a black long sleeve shirt, and jeans with his

newly dread locked hair in a ponytail took complete control of the stage. Axl was back, in great voice, and

looking amazing. It was clear to see, that Axl is back for the long haul and ready to rock.

GNR first part of the show inspired their old school hits which included ,"It's So Easy", Mr Brownstone ,"

and "Live and Let Die." GNR sounded really tight as Brain played down some of the hardest hitting drum

solos that you could imagine.

One of the most amazing of GNR's sound that I enjoy enjoy is the amazing keyboards. I have seen GNR

keyboard player Dizzy Reed perform with his band HNB many times and let me tell ya tonight Dizzy was on

fire. Tickling the ivories on his grand piano solo leading into "The Blues." Tonight it was so great to be able

to see Diz perform with one of the greatest rock bands of our time, . Axl sang his heart out on this song, and

proved his diversity as a singer.

Axl also sat down at the piano on "November Rain" and performed one of the most touching moments of the

evening. This song has always been one of my favorites and seeing Axl perform this song tonight was

simply amazing.

Tonight's GNR concert was prompted by spontaneity and even included a special guest star. No it was not

Slash or Izzy, but 80's rocker Sebastian Bach. Seeing two of the best 80's singers singing "My Michelle" was

simply.priceless!

GNR performed the title track off of their upcoming album, Chinese Democracy and song "I.R.S." These

songs best describe GNR in 2006 very modern with a touch of old school. Another one of the highlights of

the show was my all time favorite GNR classic,"Patience." Axl shined.

As the evening was coming to a close, one thing was for certain. The momentum of the band never let up.

All eyes were on Axl Rose as he captivated the audience with his magical stage performance. GNR ended

the night with guitarist Robin Finch blistering solo into "Night Train" and closed with the ferocious "Paradise

City."

The audience went into a frenzy, headbanging when Axl sang, "Take Me Down to The Paradise City" as Axl

and his new version of GNR rocked New York City hard. Never looking back, only looking into the future.

The baddest of the bad boys is back, Mr Axl Rose. Ready to reclaim his throne as one of the best rock "n"roll

singers of our time.

Get ready to witness one of the best rock and roll shows this year, as GNR invade New York City all this

week. The band will be touring Europe this summer. They say timing is everything. Axl Rose has surely

picked the best time to make a comeback. 2006 is shaping up to be the summer where old school metal

rules the concert scene.

GNR are back with a vengeance, and making their old school rock and roll roots come alive once again, as

Axl Rose proves he is indeed one of the best rock and roll singers of our generation.

UK SUBS.

that one is not as bad IMO

so what its just 1 critic

1 of many. :)

Here's another :)

DATE: Sunday, May 14, 2006 @ 6:30 AM

AUTHOR: By Debby Rao, Boston Contributor

SOURCE: KNAC.COM

Guns N' Roses In New York City

They're back!!! Guns N' Roses, one of the most controversial rock bands of the 80's are back in full force

taking New York by storm with a fury that hit like ya like a freight train.

Guns N' Roses performed their first concert since 2002 last night at the historic Hammerstein Ballroom in

New York City. Last night's concert was the first of four sold out GNR shows which are slated to take place

May 14, May 15 and May 17. All four concerts sold out in 3 minutes. Pretty amazing for a band who hasn't

toured since 2002.

Last time I saw GNR perform was on the Use Your Illusion Tour in 1990.at the Worcester Centrum. I have

always loved their music, and tonight's concert was everything I thought it would be. Up Close and Personal,

In Your Face, Axl Rose at his best!!!

Driving down 95, it may have been raining buckets but nothing could damper the mood for the day. We

were going to see GNR perform in a very rare club appearance.

New York City was alive and well, the city that never sleeps, and that sure held true tonight. It is good to

see somethings never change.

This was my first time seeing a concert at the Hammerstein Ballroom. The historic venue which is right int he

center of Manhattan and was the perfect venue for this GNR concert. The place doesn't have a bad seat, and

the sound system was amazing.

We were right down on the floor, and had a great view of the band. Opening the show was Bullet For My

Valentine. I recently got to see them perform on the Rob Zombie Tour. Their modern day set with great

melodies was better received on the Rob Zombie Tour. It was clear the audience was their to see one band

their heroes Guns N' Roses.

The excitement in the air was so thick you could cut it with a knife. hit the stage right at 11 P.M. and played

till 1:15 A.M. in the morning. GNR performed most their hits, taking their fans into the future with this stellar

new line-up that includes new guitarist Ron Thal of Bumblefoot fame , who didn't disappoint the die-hard

GNR fans.

Opening with "Welcome To The Jungle", Axl Rose dressed in a black long sleeve shirt, and jeans with his

newly dread locked hair in a ponytail took complete control of the stage. Axl was back, in great voice, and

looking amazing. It was clear to see, that Axl is back for the long haul and ready to rock.

GNR first part of the show inspired their old school hits which included ,"It's So Easy", Mr Brownstone ,"

and "Live and Let Die." GNR sounded really tight as Brain played down some of the hardest hitting drum

solos that you could imagine.

One of the most amazing of GNR's sound that I enjoy enjoy is the amazing keyboards. I have seen GNR

keyboard player Dizzy Reed perform with his band HNB many times and let me tell ya tonight Dizzy was on

fire. Tickling the ivories on his grand piano solo leading into "The Blues." Tonight it was so great to be able

to see Diz perform with one of the greatest rock bands of our time, . Axl sang his heart out on this song, and

proved his diversity as a singer.

Axl also sat down at the piano on "November Rain" and performed one of the most touching moments of the

evening. This song has always been one of my favorites and seeing Axl perform this song tonight was

simply amazing.

Tonight's GNR concert was prompted by spontaneity and even included a special guest star. No it was not

Slash or Izzy, but 80's rocker Sebastian Bach. Seeing two of the best 80's singers singing "My Michelle" was

simply.priceless!

GNR performed the title track off of their upcoming album, Chinese Democracy and song "I.R.S." These

songs best describe GNR in 2006 very modern with a touch of old school. Another one of the highlights of

the show was my all time favorite GNR classic,"Patience." Axl shined.

As the evening was coming to a close, one thing was for certain. The momentum of the band never let up.

All eyes were on Axl Rose as he captivated the audience with his magical stage performance. GNR ended

the night with guitarist Robin Finch blistering solo into "Night Train" and closed with the ferocious "Paradise

City."

The audience went into a frenzy, headbanging when Axl sang, "Take Me Down to The Paradise City" as Axl

and his new version of GNR rocked New York City hard. Never looking back, only looking into the future.

The baddest of the bad boys is back, Mr Axl Rose. Ready to reclaim his throne as one of the best rock "n"roll

singers of our time.

Get ready to witness one of the best rock and roll shows this year, as GNR invade New York City all this

week. The band will be touring Europe this summer. They say timing is everything. Axl Rose has surely

picked the best time to make a comeback. 2006 is shaping up to be the summer where old school metal

rules the concert scene.

GNR are back with a vengeance, and making their old school rock and roll roots come alive once again, as

Axl Rose proves he is indeed one of the best rock and roll singers of our generation.

UK SUBS.

that one is not as bad IMO

I think that was Subsy's intention ;).