Is the rasp really back?

Guest JohnUlmer

Guest JohnUlmer

From listening to various bootlegs, his voice sounds MUCH better, and there is more rasp, but if you listen to November Rain or The Blues or many other songs from '02 it pretty much sounds the same as before. I think he sounds way better than in '02 but the helium pitch is still there. Anyone else agree?

Guest RonMexico82

You're making him sound like a machine that is faulty or something. All this rasp bullshit is so retarded. Axl sings just like every other singer - good or bad/ on-form or off-form. Now he is on-form thats all that needs to be said.

Guest JohnUlmer
You're making him sound like a machine that is faulty or something. All this rasp bullshit is so retarded. Axl sings just like every other singer - good or bad/ on-form or off-form. Now he is on-form thats all that needs to be said.

I'm only questioning it because everyone for the past two days has been going around making posts saying "OMIGOD THE RASP IS BACK!~!11"

I still don't understand why would have his voice changed since 2002.

Um, he trained his voice, lost weight, it's his first show since 2002, so his voice isn't as tired, he sings differently, he took lessons, he quit or started smoking/drinking/eating salty foods... there's lots of reasons that his voice would change, and it did!!

From listening to various bootlegs, his voice sounds MUCH better, and there is more rasp, but if you listen to November Rain or The Blues or many other songs from '02 it pretty much sounds the same as before. I think he sounds way better than in '02 but the helium pitch is still there. Anyone else agree?

I agree Axl does sound better (but we need decent bootlegs before we can really tell), but from the bootlegs I can't say Axl is, like many people who were at the Hammerstein, "better than ever".

I also still hear some helium/mickey mouse effect. but the mobile phone sounds do exaggerate the high pitched notes alot.

So to everybody going tonight please make some good recordings, many people will be eternally grateful

Guest RonMexico82

I'm only questioning it because everyone for the past two days has been going around making posts saying "OMIGOD THE RASP IS BACK!~!11"

Fair enough :shades: All this rasp nonsense is fucking gay. Axl has an extremely distinct voice that has perhaps only slightly altered which is more likely due to the fact that he is 44 and not in his twenties anymore. He will still sound the same when he is 60 just like Jagger does although some of the power will be gone which is to be expected.

do we WANT rasp on the blues?

specifically after sweet child on the big daddy soundtrack(too much rasp)

too much rasp would kill the delicate balance of the song

i like axl's voice now, it's as balanced as it needs to be in my opinion

I think you make a good point. On the songs that you pointed out he did not use the rhasp - rather, he used the cleaner sounding 2002 voice. However, I think where we disagree is that I believe that Axl uses the cleaner voice on purpose. If he wanted to add rhasp to the songs i think he could. But he must think that they sound better with the clean voice, and I do not disagree

just remeber that axl likes to sing in many voices... (afd-it's so easy sounds almost like a diffrent singer)

I do believe he CAN and chooses to sing in the clean,high pitched voice and he can do the rasp.

also,in chinese democracy the song he uses a low voice...

in this album,you will hear axl sings in a lot of diffrent voices-all great

The rasp IS...... REALY... BACK. He has more power now behind his voice as well. Even when he sings with the cleaner voice.....as on The Blues.....etc you can still hear there is much much MUCH more power behind it then in 2002. He is in TOP form. He fully controlls his voice, kickass

You're judging it by horrible bootlegs, when we have everybody there telling us his voice was strong and powerful?!

Anyways, I dunno what YOU mean by "rasp" but if you're talking about the UYI tour shit sore throat crap voice, then thank God it isn't back. If you mean the natural toned rasp, then yes, I think it's fairly obvious that some of it is there. I think it's good that Axl is using a mixture of both.

Shit.

Mods, please restore my posting abilities. I did not see the warning before I spammed. I am sorry and will not repeat this.

Edited by adnan

Well....i was skeptic from some of the stuff i had heard from these horrible quality bootlegs. But i couldnt tell if that was just the bad recording. But......on the supposed 'better' of the two bootlegs. Just listen to night train....my personal favorite GNR song. And his voice sounds just as good on there as it does on the live era cd. Wow....he is back my friends.

Guest JohnUlmer
I noticed that he doesn't wear that ear piece no more.......like in 2002 tour.

Actually he does still have it, he just wears a see-through one so it's harder to notice.

And I don't think that Rocket Queen clip sounds like "old Axl" or whatever. It's good but it has a very forced, shot rasp to it.

I noticed that he doesn't wear that ear piece no more.......like in 2002 tour.

Actually he does still have it, he just wears a see-through one so it's harder to notice.

And I don't think that Rocket Queen clip sounds like "old Axl" or whatever. It's good but it has a very forced, shot rasp to it.

For Sunday's show at least he left one of them hang out of his ear. During Jungle he kept motioning to the back to turn them up, when he finally had a chance to go back there during the bridge in Jungle he came back out, pulled out one side and left it like that. And he made a comment after WTTJ eded that went something like "you guys are so loud I couldn't even hear myself."