Concert Reviews From May 14 Show

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going tonight, but can someone tell me how Fink did on the NRain solo, in either show?

Also - what's the deal with getting booze inside the Hammerstein? They have a bar open or something?

Read my review dammit.

Ron did the NR solo...and good I might add.

The bar was in the back.

I'm going tonight, but can someone tell me how Fink did on the NRain solo, in either show?

Also - what's the deal with getting booze inside the Hammerstein? They have a bar open or something?

they have a bar inside. but you can smuggle some booze in, door security just pats you down before you go in.

they have a bar inside. but you can smuggle some booze in, door security just pats you down before you go in.

Very good sir. Thanks

So the show starts at 7:30pm right? What time should I start getting in the line?

this time yesterday there were people lining up...too bad it's a rainy day.

If you don't feel like waiting go in at 10...you'll be in the back...but still you don't have to wait...

for front row seats like i got probably around 3.

good luck

Hey peeps...I am just waking up after my 5 hr drive to the city....hanging in the city for 4 hrs...inside the Hammerstein for 5 hrs and my 5 hr drive nack home....lol....

NOt much I can add to reviews that hasn't been said,,, I will give a little more info here...

All in all it was like my 18th Guns show since 1987 and this one (Sunday Night) is in my top 5. Crowd was fantastic (I was on the FLOOR and could feel it bouncing MANY TIMES from the audience jumping...very surreal feeling...lol) Axl had an excellant night vocally overall..there were a few times he strained...but i have never seen ANYBODY do perfect for 2 hrs straight...lol. Crowd age was all over the place...I saw 10 year old kids with thier parents and I saw other people in thier 50's....was a very friendly crowd.

There are 2 new shirts that were being sold there as well as older style shirts. There was also a Robin Finck shirt being sold......prices were decent for a show. T-Shirt were about $30 each...there was a GnR Hoodie for $85 ...and I think hats were like $20. I got a Rum and Coke at the show....that was $8...they had pretzels and what not there...i just didnt notice prices...sorrry.

Opening band was........ok.......didnt know them,.....but I won't be getting thier album anytime soon

Be sure to bring earplugs if you want to actually hear the show and Axl talk.....lack of plugs will just cause you to just hear lots of noise and a giant hum when all band members are playing at once.

Last night there was a chronic "hiss" in the speakers.....I figured the sound guys would fix it...but it was never attended to......I learned to deal with it and enjoyed the show.

I didnt quite get what was going on between Stinson and Axl....at the end of November RAin Stinson "marched" across the stage like a "good soldier" it seemed to me! Axl later said something of allong the lines when he was talking about the day before him and Tommy having a discusiion that went ""Fuck you", "fuck you", "no fuck you" "fuck you"..but then they continued thier day..Tommy was a ham during hte entire show....making various faces singing along with the lyrics and making faces at the crowdand just having a grea time...

Bumblefoot I knew nothing about,,,,,,he rocks....

MAybe I will put more in later...but gotta go eat......

GREAT FUCKIN' SJOW !!!!

The concert was great! Besides some problems I myself had, the band sounded great! Axl's voice was awesome and the band looked very well cleaned up and didn't look like a freak show(which is what I thought they looked like in 02' :P) Finck and Fortus were awesome! Axl and Sebastian did a great job on my michelle and the crowd was loving it! My only problem was Bumblefoot's solo, In my opinion that was a piece of shit. He did great on November Rain, so I expected a cool solo here but it was kind of... Noise? Anyway he did a good job on Nightrain so that kind of made up for it but I don't see why he was even needed, Finck and Fortus did a great job on most of the solo's (Yeah I still like slash better but i'll give them props). Over-all it was a great concert, I'll definetely see them again if they come back on american tour.

My only problem was Bumblefoot's solo, In my opinion that was a piece of shit. He did great on November Rain, so I expected a cool solo here but it was kind of... Noise?

I have a feeling he had nothing prepared for the solo...actually it was pretty obvious..

after the show I was talking to him and suggested him to play "Guitars Suck" and first he laughed and then he seemed intrigued by the idea...said he might teach it to the guys. I don't know if he was just being congenial but I'd really like to see him do it :)

According to my cell the show started at 10:55 and ended at 01:12. I had a great time. As a matter of fact I'm glad he scrapped a few of the new songs and replaced them with Rocket Queen as I find them to be below AFD and UYI standards.

My only problem was Bumblefoot's solo, In my opinion that was a piece of shit. He did great on November Rain, so I expected a cool solo here but it was kind of... Noise?

I have a feeling he had nothing prepared for the solo...actually it was pretty obvious..

after the show I was talking to him and suggested him to play "Guitars Suck" and first he laughed and then he seemed intrigued by the idea...said he might teach it to the guys. I don't know if he was just being congenial but I'd really like to see him do it :)

good call, dude. if bucket can play "big sur moon" then why can't ron cheat a little too and play that? i can't believe he never thought of that!

good call, dude. if bucket can play "big sur moon" then why can't ron cheat a little too and play that? i can't believe he never thought of that!

probably the short amount of time he had to prepare...that song involves a couple other parts that he'd need to teach the guys...classical chord structure that is...it might take some time to get down...but man would that kick ass rock3

I was there too...

Axl's voice did sound a little heliumish but it was still pretty good considering he had lost it the morning before.

I was dissapointed cause they only played 3 new songs but i enjoyed the old ones just as much.

I liked the fireworks and explosions those were cool.

Finck played amazing, but what was up with him playing Christina Agulara??? w/e

I would have payed more attention to Bumble but a friggin lady fell on me during his big solo.

Openning band sucked period, but atleast they pumped up the crowd

overall it was wicked awesome and i had a great time

I got a Rum and Coke at the show....that was $8...they had pretzels and what not there...i just didnt notice prices...sorrry.

Well, I know it's $10 for a shot of Southern Comfort and a cup of Coors. Plus I paid $2 for a huge Snickers bar.

Just got off work now after flying back into Toronto this morning at 7am after getting two hours of sleep after the show. Not much to say that hasn't already been said. Axl kicked ass and I was so happy to see him bouncing around on stage the way he did back in the day. The man looks in great shape. 44? He may as well have been 24!!!! We'll see how the voice holds up I guess, but yesterday it was fucking on!!! Vintage Axl Rose. And it's a little thing, but I so got off on the whistle at the start of PC. I love that! It's the perfect thing at that part of the song, and Axl nailed it.

The show kicked ass though. I can gush about a lot of things. I have to give Finck his props. The man obviously can put on a show and his work is of much higher quality than back in '02. Fortus is just one cool dude. He's got the moves with the guitar like Slash does and he's just a quality player. Thal I think we gotta wait on. He had his moments yesterday but still is not there. His highlight though, was absolutely nailing the NR outtro. Perfection. It was awesome and one of the night's highlights!!!

I like getting into the drums but when you're in the crowd you just don't notice them over the noise of the guitars. I'm sure Brain was great as usual (I am partial to the old band, but I must admit he's probably the best drummer the band has ever had). So yeah, big props to the band...they earned it. Now I will get to my dislikes because like I said, I could gush all day long about how great everything was.

The setlist. After Friday's show (which I didn't see), I so wanted to hear more new stuff. I thought it was a given we'd get TWAT and I.R.S. after they were played on Friday. Maddy I can live without as we've heard that a hundred times already. CITR I was hoping big time for as well, as I love the song...after it not being played Friday though, I knew it was a longshot. Frankly it is puzzling the lack of new stuff being played for a band that supposedly is ready to move ahead. These are warm up shows though, so let's not be too quick to judge.

On the bright side, they played Rocket Queen!!!! My favourite song ever.

Now, yeah I'm gonna bring the cigerette smokin', top hat wearin', leather clad badass into this. The man is such an icon of GN'R history. I'm not gonna bitch and moan about how he should be back. I'm more or less resigned that it ain't gonna happen. But, and here's my point: the new band will be judged against Slash. They just will, by fans and critics alike. And I fuckin' love Robin's solos in TWAT and Better (which he nailed last night btw), and the stuff BH came up with on those songs is great too. But I found myself missing what Slash brought. I thought the solo parts Bumblefoot, Fortus, and Finck did were pretty ho-hum. They pale in comparison to The Godfather Theme, the Hendrix intro blending into Civil War, and Wild Horses (which is just beautiful as done by Slash and Gilby). The man just has a knack for melody unlike anyone else and it's what I love most about the old band musically speaking (along with Axl's melodies). Got that out of my system, so yeah, sue me!

Not to bring the review down...the band is what it is...and despite that they really do kick ass and put on a fantastic show. 9/10 is what I'd rate it. The best show I have ever seen in person.

Edited by KBear

I went to the show Sunday night where they played very few "New" songs. Although I thought the production of the show was very very untogether I know it was one of thier first shows and chances are they will sort it out. One guy almost got blasted by pyro the first night and the night I saw the guitar players were all over each other. Regardless I love this band and I am not a "hater".

My wife however had this interesting observation...She didn't understand why she was watching a "Cover band" play old G n R songs and in all due seriousness they still look like the friggin Village People. There's the one guy singing with about a million dollars in diamonds on, The Punk rock guy dressed in plaid, The keyboard player with dreadlocks down to his ass with his shirt off, One guitar player looks like a confederate soldier and now there is a "Bumblefoot" in the band..must I go on? I read in this forum where people are talking about the fact that this band "Finally got thier look together"? This band???? That's together? Ahhhhhhh OK.

The best stuff they played the other night was the new stuff hands down.

Drew Stone

I went to the show Sunday night where they played very few "New" songs. Although I thought the production of the show was very very untogether I know it was one of thier first shows and chances are they will sort it out. One guy almost got blasted by pyro the first night and the night I saw the guitar players were all over each other. Regardless I love this band and I am not a "hater".

My wife however had this interesting observation...She didn't understand why she was watching a "Cover band" play old G n R songs and in all due seriousness they still look like the friggin Village People. There's the one guy singing with about a million dollars in diamonds on, The Punk rock guy dressed in plaid, The keyboard player with dreadlocks down to his ass with his shirt off, One guitar player looks like a confederate soldier and now there is a "Bumblefoot" in the band..must I go on? I read in this forum where people are talking about the fact that this band "Finally got thier look together"? This band???? That's together? Ahhhhhhh OK.

Drew Stone

Then accept the new look man.

Edited by jack99

He HAS to play the old stuff or people will boycott the show. Eventually he can play mostly new material with just a sprinkle of the old classics, I like that very much.

It's true, the band does look different, but it's Axl's band and Axl IS different... we either like it, or we jump ship.

I don't care what they look like, the new music is excellent and I'm here for the duration.

Drew Stone

Great post man................but get ready to duck.

Not quite sure how the word "interesting" crept it's way into the title, but your "observation" is nothing new, and whether you are new or not, before posting you should do about 3 seconds of research and find one of about a million other threads on this board regarding your "GNR cover band". Plus, do you even know why the name Guns N Roses exclusively belongs to Axl? You probably think he went crazy and kicked everybody out of the band at once huh?

He HAS to play the old stuff or people will boycott the show. Eventually he can play mostly new material with just a sprinkle of the old classics, I like that very much.

It's true, the band does look different, but it's Axl's band and Axl IS different... we either like it, or we jump ship.

I don't care what they look like, the new music is excellent and I'm here for the duration.

Spoken in the words of a true fan rock3

See you on the 7th Leigh rock1

R.

Jesus this gets painful at times....

When CD is out they will play more new stuff, until then all the majority of people know are the old tunes, Axl wrote or co-wrote the majority of the songs and has as much right as VR to play them... yes I and most people would prefer the band to play new songs, but that's not gonna happen until the record is out.

LP