Concert Reviews From May 14 Show

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to the show Sunday night where they played very few "New" songs. Although I thought the production of the show was very very untogether I know it was one of thier first shows and chances are they will sort it out. One guy almost got blasted by pyro the first night and the night I saw the guitar players were all over each other. Regardless I love this band and I am not a "hater".

My wife however had this interesting observation...She didn't understand why she was watching a "Cover band" play old G n R songs and in all due seriousness they still look like the friggin Village People. There's the one guy singing with about a million dollars in diamonds on, The Punk rock guy dressed in plaid, The keyboard player with dreadlocks down to his ass with his shirt off, One guitar player looks like a confederate soldier and now there is a "Bumblefoot" in the band..must I go on? I read in this forum where people are talking about the fact that this band "Finally got thier look together"? This band???? That's together? Ahhhhhhh OK.

The best stuff they played the other night was the new stuff hands down.

Drew Stone

what a dumb post, seriously.

I went to the show Sunday night where they played very few "New" songs. Although I thought the production of the show was very very untogether I know it was one of thier first shows and chances are they will sort it out. One guy almost got blasted by pyro the first night and the night I saw the guitar players were all over each other. Regardless I love this band and I am not a "hater".

My wife however had this interesting observation...She didn't understand why she was watching a "Cover band" play old G n R songs and in all due seriousness they still look like the friggin Village People. There's the one guy singing with about a million dollars in diamonds on, The Punk rock guy dressed in plaid, The keyboard player with dreadlocks down to his ass with his shirt off, One guitar player looks like a confederate soldier and now there is a "Bumblefoot" in the band..must I go on? I read in this forum where people are talking about the fact that this band "Finally got thier look together"? This band???? That's together? Ahhhhhhh OK.

Drew Stone

And your posts are always genius? Give me a break! :lol:

He and his wife are entitled to their opinions and observations. Not everyone feels the need to kiss ass.

I disagree with your wife's interesting observation...

Their image is good. Just look at all of their pictures. If she had said this about their 2001/2002 look, then she would've been right. Not now. I mean, what does she want? For all of them to dress the same?

And the members from the old band also had these different looks, specifically in the Illusion era: Axl was in biker shorts, Duff was dressed as a punk rocker, Slash as a typical rocker, Izzy as a 'gipsy' (replaced then by Gilby), etc. Did anyone thought they had a bad image? No. Same thing will happen if the new band keeps this current look. Of course, it won't be as good as the old band, but it will be perfectly acceptable.

One last thing, none of the reviews so far - positive or negative - from the newspapers, MTV, Rolling Stone, and others, have called the band a freak show. That happened in 2002, but it's not happening now. That's a good sign concerning their image.

About the 'cover band' mention... they have to play the old hits, since they haven't released an album yet, and Axl is not stupid enough to play all the songs from Chinese Democracy. That would not only ruin the surprise factor, but most important of all, it could affect the album sales.

So, until they're close to release the album, I'm almost sure the setlist won't be any different: they'll play the old hits and a few new songs. Once the album is released, I think this will change. Until then, they'll get that cover band shit thrown at them, but they're probably prepared for that.

Drew Stone

And your posts are always genius? Give me a break! :lol:

He and his wife are entitled to their opinions and observations. Not everyone feels the need to kiss ass.

did i say they were.

I think it's dumb that someone will pay money to go to a GNR show and then complain that they are singing some old songs that they were probably singing to anyway and to pay out the band because of how they look.

My wife however had this interesting observation...She didn't understand why she was watching a "Cover band" play old G n R songs and in all due seriousness they still look like the friggin Village People. There's the one guy singing with about a million dollars in diamonds on, The Punk rock guy dressed in plaid, The keyboard player with dreadlocks down to his ass with his shirt off, One guitar player looks like a confederate soldier and now there is a "Bumblefoot" in the band..must I go on?

Your wife should go see Backstreet Boys or Westlife, who have hired professionals to make sure all their outfits match eachother.

I think the use of "these" are annoying, and really "piss me off".

The band as a whole are not as tight as other bands around, but it seems they have a certain chemistry on stage together. I think they actually look good now. In 2002, Axl looked awful, Robin look stupid and then there was Buckethead. They all look smooth now. And which Village People has your wife seen anyway? I cant find much common ground with GNR.

And eventually they will play less old songs, but not until they have more songs to play. I for one would be pissed off if they didnt play Mr Brownstone, Paradise City, SCOM etc. Plus we all talk about wanting Axl to play Dead Hose or Estranged or Bad Apples or some other OLD song, that we would love to hear live again. The music GNR have made is timeless, so whether they play old or new songs I'm gonna have one hell of a night on the 7th and retire to the Duke Of Cornwall pub round the corner and get fuckin smashed in celebration! rock3

Grimo.

Drew Stone

Dump the goddamn bitch! :devil:

Drew Stone

At least the fashion sense is better than:

Goth dude

Nut with Bucket and mask

Freak with oversized jerseys and female voice

This band is better than 02.

Not quite sure how the word "interesting" crept it's way into the title, but your "observation" is nothing new, and whether you are new or not, before posting you should do about 3 seconds of research and find one of about a million other threads on this board regarding your "GNR cover band". Plus, do you even know why the name Guns N Roses exclusively belongs to Axl? You probably think he went crazy and kicked everybody out of the band at once huh?

This is clearly not how it happened. First of all, he was already crazy and secondly, he got rid of everybody one by one.

Drew Stone

Hey there Drew,

As a life long fan, I have been there since the very beginning. As many others have also been there since the beginning also we remember when G n R hit the scene with the likes of Sweet child & paradise city etc, The first albums - Appetite, Lies. Even now I still follow them or should I say HIM. There will never be a Gn R as they were all those years ago with the full original line up, but through indifferences etc a time came when the band did indeed go there seperate ways leaving Axl to reform. By doing this G n R still maintained the name, lead singer and of course what makes G n R G n r - the songs.

Just as memories of childhood remind us and momentarily take us back to that time so does the songs that were there from the beginning. For me personally anyway those early songs were G n R.

As for the remaining original surviving members of G N R forming Velvet Revolver and doing they're thing, well it aint G n R is it, but none the less those guys, Slash, Duff and Matt are what also made G n R what they were. A combination of these two forces, Axl and the other original members are what is for me G n R. Thay may never regroup again but that certainly does not stop me listening to both.

The newer stuff from Axl and G n R is ok but unless they want to get stuck in the past and get labelled then they have to go forward with new material as well as older stuff too. This is what makes the band, a collaberation of old and new.

As for the bands dress and attire, well this is Axl Rose were talking about here, a great believer in freedom of expression without a care for authority ( maybe a tad more mature these days ). But Rock & Metal is essentially a rebellion against those who try to keep us in line and to show that we are individuals weather it be the clothes we wear or the words we speak. As long as there is no purposely unfounded harmful intent then I cannot see a problem.

Perhaps because of the gap in which there was no G n R then maybe I am stuck a little with the origional and want to remember that era, who knows. I will continue to follow them and Revolver as these guys are what gave me the bug and I will always thank them and remember them.

And all of Slipknot wears fucking masks, and crazy hair and all this shit. Who gives a fuck what they look like? You want Slash, go to a VR board.

Your really think the band isn't 'together' because they don't wear the same clothes? They play together great and theres real chemistry. To me, thats all that matters, not if the guys called bumblefoot, or if someones wearing plaid.

Edited by dezmond

I disagree with your wife's interesting observation...

One last thing, none of the reviews so far - positive or negative - from the newspapers, MTV, Rolling Stone, and others, have called the band a freak show. That happened in 2002, but it's not happening now. That's a good sign concerning their image.

I love how low standards are for this band.

No album? Not necessary.

No single? Eh...

Axl can't really sing that well? Who cares? It's not like he's a singer, or anything.

Axl loses his voice on the SECOND show of his "tour"? Poor Axl. He'll pull it together!

People around here were excited to see Axl interact with his bass player on stage. REALLY? That excites you? That Axl made ONE small gesture towards treating his musicians like an actual band?

And finally we have... at least the press isn't calling them a "freak show" this time!

This speaks to the power of denial.

I very much doubt that you would have a different opinion if the album was released. Even now after we've heard new songs live and a cuople of great performances all you do is bitch about how bad things are, that's just pathetic. It's obvious that things could have been much better and music been released faster but c'mon, the ball is rolling...

You seem to care a lot about what others think. Well, the press thought the show rocked so I guess you do too? How many other forums of bands that you don't like are you registered on?

Not quite sure how the word "interesting" crept it's way into the title, but your "observation" is nothing new, and whether you are new or not, before posting you should do about 3 seconds of research and find one of about a million other threads on this board regarding your "GNR cover band". Plus, do you even know why the name Guns N Roses exclusively belongs to Axl? You probably think he went crazy and kicked everybody out of the band at once huh?

This is clearly not how it happened. First of all, he was already crazy and secondly, he got rid of everybody one by one.

Neither you or me were there when it happened, right? We've heard a couple of contradictory stories and interviews about what really happened so I really can't understand how anyone can just assume it's one person's fault.

I love how low standards are for this band.

No album? Not necessary.

No single? Eh...

Axl can't really sing that well? Who cares? It's not like he's a singer, or anything.

Axl loses his voice on the SECOND show of his "tour"? Poor Axl. He'll pull it together!

People around here were excited to see Axl interact with his bass player on stage. REALLY? That excites you? That Axl made ONE small gesture towards treating his musicians like an actual band?

And finally we have... at least the press isn't calling them a "freak show" this time!

This speaks to the power of denial.

Poor HisRoyalFatness. It seems that he hates Axl. :huh: He can't understand why people follow Axl. :lol: