A Different G'N'R

Conor

Yo, the names Conor. I'm from Northern Ireland, 16 years old. A little young for the real G'N'R Generation, but I grew up with their albums. It's obvious that now, since the break up, we're seeing a different side of Guns N' Roses. That's fairly obvious, with different band members and all. But, with the Chinese Democracy Album leaked, or at least, songs that are supposed to be on it, are we really in store for what are "Guns N' Roses". I mean, I've heard, out of the new album:-

Chinese Democracy

Crash Diet

Shadow of Your Love

The Blues

Madagascar

Oh my God

Better

Dust in the Wind

Catcher in the Rye

I mean... I love those songs, but it's just simply not Guns N' Roses to me. I mean, great songs, honestly, love them to hell and back, but... where's the blantant disregard for what anyone else thought. Where's the true Rock N' Roll spirit? These songs... are not Rock N' Roll. It's nice that it's a change, but is this a good change? These are good songs, but, to me, it's just not Guns N' Roses. Look at Appetite For Destruction, songs like "Mr Brownstone", "My Michelle" and "It's So Easy", just show that Guns N' Roses, didn't give a fuck what anyone else said about them. Other albums, songs like "Garden of Eden", "Back off Bitch", "You Could be Mine", "Get in the Ring" and "Reckless Life", those show that they don't care who says what about them. I know I'm repeating myself, but do songs like "Better" or "Madagascar" really show this side of Guns N' Roses?

To me, The Band "Guns N' Roses" just means - Fuck you, we don't care what you think. We go out to play Rock N' Roll. And those people out there, they fucking love it.

What happened to Guns N' Fucking Roses? Seems to me like Axl is going for a nicer side of G'N'R, but is the Return Album "Chinese Democracy" really the place? People, new to the band, will buy this album thinking that G'N'R Rock N' Roll is back, then be disapointed by G'N'R's guiet songs, and over-use of the piano. I love Guns N' Roses, I love the new Album, but is this new G'N'R side, good... or bad?

Conor

- zomg lack of knowledge here.

Edited by Conor

Crash Diet - Not a CD song, it`s from around 88-90 era

Shadow of Your Love - Hollywood Rose era song

Dust in the wind - Cover song used during the illusion tour in 93

Crash Diet - Not a CD song, it`s from around 88-90 era

Shadow of Your Love - Hollywood Rose era song

Dust in the wind - Cover song used during the illusion tour in 93

It would be cool though if they did a a modern version of crashdiet.. An awesome song

Crash diet is a song that didnt make to Illusions(sadly since its awesome)

Shadow of your love is a song by Hollywood Rose(pre-GN'R)

And well I have completely different oppinion about CD.. IMO it rocks and sounds great and yes the new songs show that side of GN'R you are talking about IMHO. Axl still does his own thing.

People, new to the band, will buy this album thinking that G'N'R Rock N' Roll is back, then be disapointed by G'N'R's guiet songs, and over-use of the piano.

How could ppl new to the band wait old GN'R??? And Im not sure what songs you have listened but as far as quiet goes they are far from it and I totally disagree with the over use of piano..

Edited by .Seal

dude ,afd is music that belongs to late 80's,you cant have same stuff over and over again...wouldn't it become boring?

I like new sound and it shows how much of creativity(sp?) band has...

and wants to do somethin different,somethin new...and they are doing just fine

I'm not looking for the same stuff over and over again. These new songs are great, but to me... it's just not simply Guns N' Roses. Guns N' Roses means Rock N' Roll, not Catcher in the Rye stuff. Hell, I like Catcher in the Rye, but it's just not Guns N' Roses to me. It's not Rock N' Roll. Sure, change is needed. Look at Use Your Illusion I & II, they have a perfect balance of Rock N' Roll & Other, but from what I've heard of Chinese Democracy, there are no... Rock N' Roll songs. Sure, Rock songs, but you think that Axl would fit some of the music that made his career what it is in there. It's Rock N' Roll, it's Guns N' Roses, the two just fit perfectly together.

I for one don't understand this endless competition that some of you insist on having.

Like if you loved AFD, you can't possibly like this new stuff. Or if you like the new stuff, you must think the older material is just average.

Why must it be like this? Can't the 2 be separate??

Obviously, to a segment of you, it can't. I guess its the whole "using the name" thing.

Personally, I could give a fuck if he called this Guns N' Roses or if he called this Axl's Super Terrific Fun Time Band. I like the guy, always have, and will always be interested in what he is doing. And since I would rather hear him do the songs I have come to enjoy over the years, I'm glad he still does them.

Life is too short for this petty bickering. Maybe you you love one over the other and find the other awful. Fine. Your opinion.

What's the upside of trying to get the other side to see it your way?

I'm not looking for the same stuff over and over again. These new songs are great, but to me... it's just not simply Guns N' Roses. Guns N' Roses means Rock N' Roll, not Catcher in the Rye stuff. Hell, I like Catcher in the Rye, but it's just not Guns N' Roses to me. It's not Rock N' Roll. Sure, change is needed. Look at Use Your Illusion I & II, they have a perfect balance of Rock N' Roll & Other, but from what I've heard of Chinese Democracy, there are no... Rock N' Roll songs. Sure, Rock songs, but you think that Axl would fit some of the music that made his career what it is in there. It's Rock N' Roll, it's Guns N' Roses, the two just fit perfectly together.

Don't get too caught up on what may or may not be on CD yet...at this point, we don't even know if there will EVER be a CD, much less if there will be any rock songs on it. Let's get the album, then analize it to death, not the other way around.

Hmm... I see you're points, as I've said before, I personally love the new album. I don't think there's an over-use of piano, but I'm worried that people buying the album, expecting to hear the Guns N' Roses No Shit Taken sound, will be disapointed with the new sound that Axl is giving us. I play in the Official UK G'N'R Tribute Band, I tour around the UK, playing Drums, and the occasional lyric, and even sing a few of the songs properly. I know what it feels like to play Guns N' Roses Music, and what I've been asked to play lately, just doesn't seem the same Rock N' Roll feeling to me.

Oh, and sorry for my mistakes with those other songs. My knowledge of the band doesn't go much out of what I'm told. I'll bare that in mind in future, thanks.

dude gnr doesnt take shit from anyone that sound is still there i was there last night!!!!!

Guest JohnUlmer
you do realise that crash diet was a GN'R song with slash?

You do realize that Slash didn't play on Crash Diet because he despised the song and refused to do it?

Your criticisms were fairly easy ones to make without any real evidence (by the way, im only 15 so ive grown up listening to the albums without experiencing it all)

And in my opinion Axl not releasing anything for years has been a big 'fuck you' to everyone, whatever you say about Axl, he is still doing it HIS way, he is not doing what anyone wants him to do. He seemed to learn mid-UYI that saying fuck you and getting angry at everyone wasnt gonna help anyone, hes still got the same spirit

Guest RonMexico82

Hey Conor, interesting post I think perhaps you are saying that there are two sides to Guns N' Roses as is suggested by the name itself - a hard rocking sleazy fuck you attitude side and a soft mellow ballady kinda side. You are suggesting that in the past the band had a nice balance between the two but now that balance is a little off and leaning more to the softer, sanitized version. I don't think it has gone completely that way but I do agree that we really haven't seen a great fuck you song from this line-up. Better and Chinese Democracy do rock hard but are not necessarily snarly mean spirited songs like Welcome to the Jungle and Its So Easy.

I haven't heard Silkworms yet though.

you do realise that crash diet was a GN'R song with slash?

You do realize that Slash didn't play on Crash Diet because he despised the song and refused to do it?

owned you potato sandwich eating mother fucker :rofl-lol:

Edited by Revesokken

A Different G'N'R, For better, or worse?

Well we've got two bands who go by the same name.

The original and the new one.

Until CD is released, I can't really make a fair judgment but judging from the new material,

the material from the original GNR is a million times better, it's not even funny compairing them.

GNR's LAST album was UYI.

CD will be (new) GNR's FIRST album. It will NOT be GNR's fifth album.

I enjoy (original) GNR's sound from AFD right up to TSI.

(New) GNR? Nothing to get excited about.

I think people that bitch about this GNR not being Guns of old is only cause they are caught up in the image. Bands music change all the time, just look at metallica. You went from Kill them all, to something way differnt in Justice for all, then to Load and Reload? That is a huge differnce in music, kill them all is speed metal and Load/Reload is alternative. Does that make people say metallica ain't metallica? No, and don't give me this bullshit that metallica still has all it's memebers because half are not oringals. Now why do these people say Gnr now isn't Gnr of old? It's cause they are shallow and retarted, they want Axl to use "fuck" and "shit" every other word because that is what gets their 16 dicks hard, and thats fine for them whatever. But Gnr and Gnr fans have grown, the music is more mature, now if you can't accept that don't thats fine. But it is still Gnr non the less, even if it is aimed more at an artist view then "lets piss people off by singing about hooray for tolerance!s"

Yo, the names Conor. I'm from Northern Ireland, 16 years old. A little young for the real G'N'R Generation, but I grew up with their albums. It's obvious that now, since the break up, we're seeing a different side of Guns N' Roses. That's fairly obvious, with different band members and all. But, with the Chinese Democracy Album leaked, or at least, songs that are supposed to be on it, are we really in store for what are "Guns N' Roses". I mean, I've heard, out of the new album:-

Chinese Democracy

Crash Diet

Shadow of Your Love

The Blues

Madagascar

Oh my God

Better

Dust in the Wind

Catcher in the Rye

I mean... I love those songs, but it's just simply not Guns N' Roses to me. I mean, great songs, honestly, love them to hell and back, but... where's the blantant disregard for what anyone else thought. Where's the true Rock N' Roll spirit? These songs... are not Rock N' Roll. It's nice that it's a change, but is this a good change? These are good songs, but, to me, it's just not Guns N' Roses. Look at Appetite For Destruction, songs like "Mr Brownstone", "My Michelle" and "It's So Easy", just show that Guns N' Roses, didn't give a fuck what anyone else said about them. Other albums, songs like "Garden of Eden", "Back off Bitch", "You Could be Mine", "Get in the Ring" and "Reckless Life", those show that they don't care who says what about them. I know I'm repeating myself, but do songs like "Better" or "Madagascar" really show this side of Guns N' Roses?

To me, The Band "Guns N' Roses" just means - Fuck you, we don't care what you think. We go out to play Rock N' Roll. And those people out there, they fucking love it.

What happened to Guns N' Fucking Roses? Seems to me like Axl is going for a nicer side of G'N'R, but is the Return Album "Chinese Democracy" really the place? People, new to the band, will buy this album thinking that G'N'R Rock N' Roll is back, then be disapointed by G'N'R's guiet songs, and over-use of the piano. I love Guns N' Roses, I love the new Album, but is this new G'N'R side, good... or bad?

Conor

1. The songs you mentioned off the Illusions are crap

2. These songs rock just as hard as the Illusions rockers

3. The epics are just as good as the Illusions epics

4. Dizzy is on almost every single song of the Illusions

5. GN'R only included good "FUCK YOU" songs on Appetite. Appetite was one album, it was released, and GN'R never created material like it afterward.

6. The more I hear of Dizzy, the more I love the music. To some, "over"use of the piano/keyboards is bliss.

7. Guns N' FUCKING Roses will NEVER be back. That attitude disappeared with Dizzy coming in and Matt being replaced and Axl getting (mostly) sober.

8. Guns N' Roses have moved on. You need to accept this, there will probably not be any "FUCK YOU"-type lyrics on this album, aside from "Gonna win and rock out in your face" maybe.

9. These songs are not quieter than previous GN'R work. The majority are heavier.