Can't believe better isn't better.

Greekgelboy

I thought Better was going to be different too, but this version really disapointed me. I thought that the final version should be better, because it had a huge potential!

but if this is the final version and if TWAT is the final version i think Chinese Democracy is going a disapointment. But i really hope im wrong.

Axls couldnt sing better the 2 night. that was a bit aweful...

but its exiting times anyway, looking forward, but i hoped the leakes was deomos and not finished material!

he seemed to tweak T.W.A.T the most and it's the one that probally needs it the most. i like the intro. but im still not 2 keen on the "it was the wrong time for you" bit

I totally agree. The outro is excellent, maybe the best moment in all the new songs, but the chorus just doesn't match up to the rest of the song. I really like the intro though.

there was a time is probably the best song guns n roses have produced since 91, better being a close second, t.w.a.t just has a perfect pace and really after the first guitar solo the majority of the lyrics are over and it just becomes a instrumental masterpiece with axl interviening with some superb singing. How it sounds live I don't know I'm just going from the demo.

has madagascar changed at all if anyone knows? That really lacked a substantional guitar solo.

You're calling a demo the best GnR song since '91? You need to educate yourself on the history of GnR.

perhaps you can educate me if you're so knowledgeable instead of attempting to flame a flameless post? I can't remember hearing a better song, demo or not since then, and I'm sure the demo is a educated guess at what the final version will be like?

Hair of a dog is better. And dead flowers!

after i heard the first leak on 50 second i was exited. but the hard metal part of it destroyd it. i hoped Axl had change it cos this could be the comebeck hit for GNR. but it seems like that not gonna happend as long as it is like the demo

he seemed to tweak T.W.A.T the most and it's the one that probally needs it the most. i like the intro. but im still not 2 keen on the "it was the wrong time for you" bit

I totally agree. The outro is excellent, maybe the best moment in all the new songs, but the chorus just doesn't match up to the rest of the song. I really like the intro though.

there was a time is probably the best song guns n roses have produced since 91, better being a close second, t.w.a.t just has a perfect pace and really after the first guitar solo the majority of the lyrics are over and it just becomes a instrumental masterpiece with axl interviening with some superb singing. How it sounds live I don't know I'm just going from the demo.

has madagascar changed at all if anyone knows? That really lacked a substantional guitar solo.

You're calling a demo the best GnR song since '91? You need to educate yourself on the history of GnR.

Hmm, I can't seem to think of hearing a better song after the Illusions, what do you think is better?

I would say that the entire TSI album is better than any demo ever was. I would say that SFTD is better than a demo. I would say that even though Axl had to redo a lot of the vocals, the live era albums are better than the demos.

Demos are unfinished, poor sound quality recordings that are never meant to be heard by the public. There is little to no chance that it is better than any song released by the same artist...I suppose you could argue that the demo is better than Fall Out Boy or Pink, but it would be pretty foolish to call it better than any songs released by that same artist, but that's just my opinion.

On Edit: I suppose you could also make the argument that this isn't the same artist, but you'd have a lot of NuGnR fans mad at you.

Edited by hartjh14

Hmm, I can't seem to think of hearing a better song after the Illusions, what do you think is better?

I would say that the entire TSI album is better than any demo ever was. I would say that SFTD is better than a demo. I would say that even though Axl had to redo a lot of the vocals, the live era albums are better than the demos.

Demos are unfinished, poor sound quality recordings that are never meant to be heard by the public. There is little to no chance that it is better than any song released by the same artist...

This makes no sense. Forget about sound quality for a second, how about actually listening to the music contained in the demos? Better vs. My World. Hmmmn, I wonder what shall I choose as the better song? :unsure: These demos are obviously very fleshed out pieces of music, and the actual audio recording quality is very good. You can easily listen to these songs and get a great sense of enjoyment from them. In that regard they are IMO very near a finished product. They are all we have, but that isn't the key. The key is that they are real, thus we can evaluate them. Even when we have the final versions and say they differ from the demo, some of us can still say hmmn, the demo is better. Axl should have left it like that! Nothing wrong with that. You have two pieces of music in front of you...just decide which you like better. It's simple.

Yes, the final versions could be drastically different. But that's really neither here nor there. Besides, I doubt there will be a drastic difference. Certainly not for Better. A song that almost everyone loves and got a huge reaction from the fans live. TWAT and IRS maybe, as the response to those was a bit lukewarm (not live, I'm talking on the forums).

And don't be so sure that these demos were not meant to be heard. I suspect the complete opposite.

Edited by KBear

IMO The lyrics and the way they're done by Axl are great, the song is amazing.

Look at perfect crime? a bit abstract, yet its one of my favorite songs,

If the lyrics make a tiny bit of sense you'll get em, unless you run on 7% of your brain ;)

lol dont worry im not tryin to bash, this is just my opinion

JamesStedham.

I like the lyrics. I still think the second half of the song is a bit of mess musically (so many twists and turns in terms of styles) but it's still very good. Axl can still deliver the goods in the studio with his voice, that's for sure.

Of all the new songs I think IRS has the dodgiest lyrics imo

No doubt. Still doesn't stop me from enjoying it, though.

Funnily enough, I think Oh My God is still his best work lyrically since splitting with Guns.

I like the lyrics. I still think the second half of the song is a bit of mess musically (so many twists and turns in terms of styles) but it's still very good. Axl can still deliver the goods in the studio with his voice, that's for sure.
Of all the new songs I think IRS has the dodgiest lyrics imo

No doubt. Still doesn't stop me from enjoying it, though.

Funnily enough, I think Oh My God is still his best work lyrically since splitting with Guns.

I'm starting to dig OMG, the live version at least. The studio (demo) is pretty bad.

Someone mentioned Better's lyrics being cliche. I dunno. I don't see too many other songs structured like Better out there. The lyrics work so well together, and their meaning isn't obvious. It's open to interpretation.

But there's different degrees of cliche. I mean, at least it's not "It's my life, It's now or never, I ain't gonna live forever!" :lol: How much more cliche can you get? Poor JBJ!

Edited by KBear

Listening to the NY bootleg, I can't believe better hasn't been improved.

The instrumentation and axl's singing were always very strong, but i was sure that by the time it was played live the dodgy lyrics would have been sorted out, but no, it is identical to the demo.

The lyrics in places are just so oversentimental and sappy, and when when axl screams out that empationed B-section, you really need someting a bit more origional than 'i only wanted you to see things for yourself'. As it is, that part of the song is just comical.

Were all the other 'new' tracks just as demo/2002 also?

i couldn't disagree more. i think the lyrics are spot-on. what do you want, some ambiguous bullshit like Pink Floyd or The Doors?

Edited by artfromtex

The lyrics in places are just so oversentimental and sappy

Don't ever leave me

Say you'll always be there

All I ever wanted

Was for you

To know that I care

Those are probably the most sentimental lyrics in the Gn'R catalouge, do you have any issues with those?

R.

Edited by x_Estranged_x

The lyrics in places are just so oversentimental and sappy

Don't ever leave me

Say you'll always be there

All I ever wanted

Was for you

To know that I care

Those are probably the most sentimental lyrics in Gn'R catalouge, do you have any issues with those?

R.

If the rest of the song was like that, then yes i would. Rocket queen, however, has a stark contrast from the starting lyrics to the end. Rather than just 5 minutes of mellodrama. Do you see the difference?

Just one thing, is it Chris Pittman who does the intro to Better or is it one of the guitarists?

:question:

Isn't the Better intro a guitar riff? So, why would Chris Pittman do the intro? Unless, you're talking about a different thing...

Anyway, there's a small clip somewhere on the net where it shows the intro to the song, and it's Robin Finck playing it with the guitar.

Also, from reading the reviews from those who went to the shows, Axl has stated two times already that Better is 'Robin's song'.

I totally agree too! That part could be so much cooler.. I think that song would be perfect if it wasn't for that part.