Axl's attitude toward fans

madison

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like many people have already noted, Axl is Axl and he will always be Axl. It doesn't really matter if he has to fight an uphill battle against anything. I don't believe he is the kind of person to change his personality according to his circumstances or even conform to any standard or norm. He does things only his way and that's evident from the way he has organized this whole project. In many ways, it's understandable how some people can come to see him as an asshole. If I was waiting outside to see the man and he blew me off I'd be hella pissed, too.

After being such a die-hard fan and reading so many things about the guy, though, I've made an effort to understand him. Understanding doesn't necessarily mean all of his actions are faultless, it's just a way to try and acknowledge where the guy is coming from. Let's face it, the man is a headcase and he'll be the first to admit it. His perception of various things is likely to be different than most peoples'. Despite his bad-ass persona, I think most fans have already figured out how sensitive Axl is. He doesn't act like an asshole for the sake of pissing random people off. His reactions are a direct response to external stimuli that he perceives as threatening. You could say it's paranoia or something, but that's his reality. He's in his own world, his own ozone layer, just like you and I.

If he ignores certain people or blows them off, it could be for various reasons that we don't understand. Maybe he's dealing with certain issues in his head at the moment, maybe he's in a pissed mood, maybe he just doesn't want to act all fake and nice to get himself over with the fans at that particular moment, maybe he doesn't appreciate the fans because he feels like we don't really appreciate or understand him. Who really knows?

He is also known to have a very sweet side. When he spent time in Rio during 2001 he was said to have sat down with a group of fan-girls talking friendly with them for hours. I also recall reading quite a few accounts from various fans over the years who have encountered the man and have nothing but nice things to say. I remember something a while back where Axl invited disabled childrens groups to his mansion, which was lavishly decorated for Halloween, with a whole theme park set up in the backyard. A woman who had been invited, along with her daughter, put up a website about the visit and it was one of the most heartfelt things I've ever read.

Sure, maybe he could be nicer or more lenient sometimes, but I've always seen Axl as a "you-take-what-you-can-get" kinda guy. I'm a big fan of his, but I wouldn't expect much from him if I met him in person. I personally wouldn't even want to meet any of my favourite rockstars or media personalities because it wouldn't do anything for me. After all, you're just another fan in their eyes. They don't know you and you probably don't really know them. Any sort of perception you have of them from your 10-second encounter is probably a misrepresentative analysis of their true personality. On top of that, I wouldn't ever want someone I respect to look at me and think to himself, "oh, there's another one." That's just how I feel.

I'm not a fan of the man because I expect him to be perfect. As long as he's dishing out the goods i.e. making music, performing, I'll be here for support. I respect his musical integrity above all and that's what matters the most. I also think Axl's appeal would diminish if he started being all fan-friendly, updating his personal blog and shit. Even though we're left in the dark and pissed off most of the time, we really know how to appreciate things when they hit us with the good stuff. We're never fully gratified and I think that's what keeps us coming back for more.

Great post. B)