Positively 4th Street

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

So much better than other scathing Dylan tracks, "Idiot Wind" for example. It benefits from Highway 61 Revisited -Blonde On Blonde era instrumentation, the organ really stars throughout. It seems proper that this was a single-only release, it's a pure statement that needed no company.

I might as well:

You got a lotta nerve

To say you are my friend

When I was down

You just stood there grinning

You got a lotta nerve

To say you got a helping hand to lend

You just want to be on

The side that's winning

You say I let you down

You know it's not like that

If you're so hurt

Why then don't you show it

You say you lost your faith

But that's not where it's at

You had no faith to lose

And you know it

I know the reason

That you talk behind my back

I used to be among the crowd

You're in with

Do you take me for such a fool

To think I'd make contact

With the one who tries to hide

What he don't know to begin with

You see me on the street

You always act surprised

You say, "How are you?" "Good luck"

But you don't mean it

When you know as well as me

You'd rather see me paralyzed

Why don't you just come out once

And scream it

No, I do not feel that good

When I see the heartbreaks you embrace

If I was a master thief

Perhaps I'd rob them

And now I know you're dissatisfied

With your position and your place

Don't you understand

It's not my problem

I wish that for just one time

You could stand inside my shoes

And just for that one moment

I could be you

Yes, I wish that for just one time

You could stand inside my shoes

You'd know what a drag it is

To see you

Edited by Ohdistortedsmile1789

It's on par with his best, certainly.

I disagree with you about it being far above his other scathing tracks.

What about "Like a Rolling Stone"?

Anyways, yes, it is one of his best achievements, the instrumentation is very unique and excellent, and the lyrics are some of his best although there are several songs I prefer to it.

It's on par with his best, certainly.

I disagree with you about it being far above his other scathing tracks.

What about "Like a Rolling Stone"?

Anyways, yes, it is one of his best achievements, the instrumentation is very unique and excellent, and the lyrics are some of his best although there are several songs I prefer to it.

Wow, very, very true. You are correct.

And of course, not his best but quite excellent.

i like Stuck in the middle with you

Although that sounds like a Dylan track (I thought so too for the longest time!) It's actually by Stealer's Wheel. Great song though.

As for scathing tracks, I still prefer Idiot Wind but then I'm a big Blood On the Tracks guy. I think I can relate to it more.

Yeah, it's a good song, but my favourite Dylan song is 'Desolation Row'

A 12 minute song with great instrumentation and lyrics and verses that are barely repeated at all.

Really shows what Dylan is capable of.

most of dylan's song are pure genius, "desolation row" being one of his strongest tracks for sure. "positively 4th street" is great too. two of my favourite dylan song are "changing of the guards" and "lay down your weary tune", both two of the most beautiful songs ever created. check them out.

For anyone else its a very good song, but for Dylan, it's just re-write of rolling stone.

I don't really agree, the only similarities are in attitude and instrumentation.

I am a huge fan of Blood On The Tracks, but I still don't like "Idiot Wind" too much. For one, it's sort of disrupting to the mood of the album. And it's the only time Bob's vocals get to me, on the chorus that is. It's still good, but the worst track on the record I think.

Positively 4th Street has to be my second favourite Dylan song ever, just behind Idiot Wind. However, if we compare the studio versions, I like this better than Idiot Wind. But the version in Hard Rain is just plain great.

Great lyrics, as you should expect from the Dylan. The guy's writing ability is nothing short of amazing.

I've been listening to Dylan all day now, and have to say Desolation Row and Tangled Up in Blue are outstanding.

I listened to this song about thrice today, made me like it less. Not that great, would be superb for any other musician, but, (no flaming), it's quite subpar for a great musician like Dylan.

I've been listening to Dylan all day now, and have to say Desolation Row and Tangled Up in Blue are outstanding.

I listened to this song about thrice today, made me like it less. Not that great, would be superb for any other musician, but, (no flaming), it's quite subpar for a great musician like Dylan.

It's one of those songs that sounds very powerful in certain circumstances.

Positively 4th Street is one of my favourite Dylan sings, and one of the first songs I ever learned on guitar.

I agree that it is better than Idiot Wind, not taking anything away from Idiot Wind theres just something about ryhming 'Gray' with 'Italy' that indicates a slight lack of thought compared to most of his other work.

It completes the UK edition of Greatest Hits 1 quite nicely I feel.

• 1 month later...

I have just bought Blood On The Tracks and I really got addicted to Tangled Up In Blue. One of the best tracks ever written. It has instantly become a favourite of mine.

Haven't heard Desolation Row yet, I'll check it out quite soon, though.