HOOBASTANK cover "Civil War"

BleedingMonk

that was actually good

I liked the acoustic twist, like someone said before, listening to this in a more slowed down way made me remember how much of a good song is the original, it really makes the lyrics of the song shine

kudos to the singer that wasn't trying to impersonate Axl, he did what he could with what he has, it gave the song a whole different vibe

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, i was not impressed at all. the singer really hurt the song. i cant really point it out, but the vocals just didnt fit. this cover also goes to show that modern guitarists cant fuckin play for shit. seriously, he played the intro too fuckin fast, but thats nothing compared to how bad he fucked up the interlude/solo sections. first of all, he was plaing on the wrong fuckin strings. there isnt anything wrong with that, as long as it sounds right.....but it didnt. there were sections where he just hit the same string 10 fuckin times and it sounded like shit. then, there is NO FUCKIN SOLO. Civil War is one of those songs that could have a fucking great acustic solo, and they totally ignor it. why?, its not because they were lazy, its because they have no fuckin talent just like every other modern band. its sad that all you need to do to be famous is be able to play a power chord. its shitty things like that that make me a GNR fan.

as much as i moderately enjoyed it id have to say i do completely agree with that.

i hated how it wasnt really much of a task but the guitarist looked like he was having one hell of a hard time playing.

Well.. after hearing this i hope you finally realised what are great singer and performer Axl Rose is.

Nice try to an acoutisc version if you take off the non-feeling voice.

The lead vocals sings like he's afraid of trying to hit any higher notes.

Get some vocal training, is my advice to him. Hell i'm a girl and do much better job in that one (modesty aside ofc) :shades:

Edited by Draa

Dudes, when you cover someone else´s song you have to make it "yours". You have to play it and sing it in a different way so that it becomes yours and has your style. And that´s what Hoobastank has done. You cannot pretend him to sing it like Axl. That you like the cover or not,that´s a different story.

By the way, the cover isn´t that bad IMO. :)

Dudes, when you cover someone else´s song you have to make it "yours". You have to play it and sing it in a different way so that it becomes yours and has your style.

Exactly... if you try to sing as Axl does... you are doing an imitation, not a cover.

Dudes, when you cover someone else´s song you have to make it "yours". You have to play it and sing it in a different way so that it becomes yours and has your style.

I think you're refering to new versions not covers. Covers are ment to sound alike not different. Any band that makes covers tries to get as close to the original version as possible.

I think you're refering to new versions not covers. Covers are ment to sound alike not different. Any band that makes covers tries to get as close to the original version as possible.

Well.. maybe it's a version, not a cover, after all.

Nope, it sucks. I'll tell you why. As soon as I heard him sing the "my hands are tied" part and realized he's singing it like the rest of the song, it ruined it. Axl sings in two different voices in the real song, and thats what MAKES THAT SONG. There is tremendous passion that comes through the song when he sings the parts that are higher.

J

well said mate,jus wat i was thinkin

Edited by gunsnrosesrfreak

I think its pretty cool to do a cover like this. Its a younger generation using an older generations view to describe shit thats going on in our own country at the moment. Even is Hooba had talked shit about Axl, they are basically saying that they agree with him that the government is fucked up and they are trying to get that message out.