HOOBASTANK cover "Civil War"

BleedingMonk

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a Hoobastank fan by any means. I hate their formulaic songs and uninnovative sound, and the whole attitude that accompanies the mainstream pop/rock genre. However I will defend this performance because I think it takes a lot of balls to do an old song like that, one that no one really knows, and one that maybe doesn't fit the current mainstream norms. I don't think that performance was supposed to prove anything, nor was it to make any kind of statement. I think that the band members think it is a good song, and they obviously knew what they were doing and they knew the song well, so I think they were just playing it because of their appreciation for the song. Furthermore, I've seen a lot of people post stuff like "the guy doesn't sing with any emotion" and "he doesn't use two voices like Axl". Well honestly, Axl is like one of the only guys in history to sing with so many unique voices, and do it well. If this guy tried to pull of an Axl-like voice to portray the emotion of the song, he'd totally wreck the song. Additionally, the mainstream listeners are retarded these days. All the music is pro-tooled and pitch-shifted to no end, such that they are used to hearing nothing but tonal perfection. If the singer were to have sung with the emotion of 'Civil War', he more than likely would have sung way off pitch, and people would have just been like 'uhh wtf is he doing?'. Overall, I didn't particularly like it, I thought it was bland and lacking solos (!!), but you also have to remember that it was an acoustic gig, so they couldn't really tear it up. But props to hoobastank for covering the song. I still don't like their music, but I respect that they performed CW.

Edited by abw1987

You people who say "they don't deserve to cover a song like this" are hilarious. You cannot be serious. So I guess every bar band ever must be worthy of covering the songs they choose to cover?. I'm so sure. Pull your head out people. Anyone can do a cover. It has nothing to do with "being worthy" but has everything to do with enjoying a song and wanting to put your own twist on it. How about instead of saying shit like "fuck Hoobastank, they aren't worthy" you say "wow cool song choice. they didn't do a typical GnR song" And this attitude of expecting a COVER to sound exactly like the original and share the same passion is dillusional. :rolleyes:

Edited by Hallucination