All in all how do you rate these NYC warm up gigs?

Son Of A Gun

I had a bit of a listen to stuff off NYC warm up gigs and I would say that the intensity is the same as that off the American leg 2002 as well as the style they played. Surely I hope people are not going to respond to me in a nazi manner for my opinion but I 'm hoping the band plays much better than this...these are just warm ups so I don't judge them but it would be very disappointing if they play like this in future. It doesn't really come anywhere close to matching the studio versions of any of the tracks they played the way they have played so far in NYC and the '02 American leg. Does anyone else here expect more intense performances...I listened to the '02 shows from Chiba, Osaka, Leeds, Pukkelpop, and London and these shows are just mindblowing. If they can consistently play as good as that then I don't think it can get any better than that.

Were U there?

Don´t know on what U based that...?

It´s not fair to judge them with some shitty bootlegs.

It´s not even fair to judge them based on ONE single show that u´ve seen. (of course it´s MORE fair)

And if U did see one show, it all depends on WHICH show U´ve seen.

I had a bit of a listen to stuff off NYC warm up gigs and I would say that the intensity is the same as that off the American leg 2002 as well as the style they played. Surely I hope people are not going to respond to me in a nazi manner for my opinion but I 'm hoping the band plays much better than this...these are just warm ups so I don't judge them but it would be very disappointing if they play like this in future. It doesn't really come anywhere close to matching the studio versions of any of the tracks they played the way they have played so far in NYC and the '02 American leg. Does anyone else here expect more intense performances...I listened to the '02 shows from Chiba, Osaka, Leeds, Pukkelpop, and London and these shows are just mindblowing. If they can consistently play as good as that then I don't think it can get any better than that.

..And in which way was these shows u mentioned in 02 "mindblowing"?

And can u clarify what U mean with "intensity"?

Not bashing, only asking :rolleyes:

Peace

From the press reports, and the reviews from fans on here and the full show audio from the 15th id say they went really fuckin well!

I think that overall axls voice was better than in 02, still cant sing scom and paradice city like the old days but he did seem more able than before to get some grit into it on jungle etc, which is wicked.

I get the feeling they are more of a band than before, axl does appear to be really enjoying everything and is probably very ahppy that the shows were recieved well by the fans and press alike.

I really dont think that you can tell exactly how the performance went down unless you were there. Which i was not!

So ill hold my full judgement back for when i see them on saturday in lisbon!

Axl's voice was a lot better than in 2002. I went to the opening night gig at The Hammerstein and his voice blew me away. Robin is playing better than in 2002 and Richard appears to have a more prominent role also. The main difference is that you have Bumblefoot replacing Buckethead. Buckethead is so much more kick ass than Bumblefoot, so the band will never sound quite that good live again, unless Axl can somehow get Bucket back in the fold. I'm not impressed at all by Bumblefoot as of yet. I understand though that Axl only hired him recently so I'm willing to give him a shot. What I wouldn't give to watch Bucket rip it up on Nightrain again with the boys one more time.

Edited by Matty Boy

Weak performances.

:laugh: what are you on crack?!

If after 10 years, all this band has to offer is a bunch of AFD covers, I'd say that the performance is weak. :)

were you at any of the shows?

edit:

because if you were, you would know that they were not just playing a bunch of AFD "covers"

on the 15th, they played 9 songs from AFD, 5 from UYI + Lies, and 5 new songs

for gods sake, even VR plays a couple GN'R songs live, and you can actually call those covers!

Edited by jc524

Guest Matt13

How the fuck does Idiot Niveen get a 'Supporter' tag? What exactly does he support? Surly not Guns N' Roses.

W

T

F

?

Weak performances.

:laugh: what are you on crack?!

If after 10 years, all this band can offer is a bunch of AFD covers, I'd say that the performance is weak. :)

:rofl-lol: always so sullen. After 10 years..bla..bla..reunion bla...bla..they all suck..everything suck...bla..

It all starts to be little worned out..

I didnt go to the shows and anyone who didnt go cannot make an accurate rating of how good they sounded/were. We have a couple decent boots from the 14th and 15th shows, but it still isnt enough to say they were awesome or they sucked, you really had to be there, period.

That said, from what ive heard they sounded pretty good. I think considering this was their first few shows they will get better, they would have to, this was WARM UP SHOWS. Shows that work out the kinks.

And to everyone complaining about them playing too many AFD songs, stop being ignorant. To us diehards that watch and listen to every boot that is made available, of course we get tired of the Appetite songs. We would rather hear new songs and more UYI songs. However, to every one of us diehards there is probably 50 or more "casual" fans at the shows, who really want to hear older appetite songs. So I think AXl and company are more interested in giving the majority what they came to see. Personally, I hope as the tour goes on they play more UYI and new songs, like every other fan here, but dont jump on them for playing mostly Appetite songs, these are warm up shows and they are just out to kick ass and show they have returned at these shows. Im guessing when they do the full tour and hopefully at some of the festival shows they break out some new material, but its all the same to me.

Im just happy they are back.

Edited by mahimahi

All in All i give it a C+ [i went on the 12th] Axl sounded awesome!!! set list not awesome seemed to be the same as 2002 Sabastian and Axl singing my Michelle was really cool!

But what i have always said is Axl, Duff, and Slash is GNR's , that being said ill take what i can get.

Does Paul McCartney call himself the beattles? "Matt Sorum"

I.R.S. is a great tune and was easly the best out of the new songs.

thanks

Joe

From the press reports, and the reviews from fans on here and the full show audio from the 15th id say they went really fuckin well!

I think that overall axls voice was better than in 02, still cant sing scom and paradice city like the old days but he did seem more able than before to get some grit into it on jungle etc, which is wicked.

I get the feeling they are more of a band than before, axl does appear to be really enjoying everything and is probably very ahppy that the shows were recieved well by the fans and press alike.

I really dont think that you can tell exactly how the performance went down unless you were there. Which i was not!

So ill hold my full judgement back for when i see them on saturday in lisbon!

i agree !!

axls voice is fucking great ... from what we've heard now.... its like the 90s ! i love it !

i hope they play at least like that for ever :D

I was at the May 14 show, the "lackluster performance". It wasn't lackluster for me.....it rocked rock3 they met all my expectations. 1 little complaint, they didn't play Madagascar, o well. And what was wrong with the overall setlist for the NY shows? If anyone is a true fan of the music the setlist shouldn't matter. I don't care if they played AFD from WTTJ to Rocket queen .....I saw GNR live, loved every minute of it, and wished the show never ended.

I was at the May 14 show, the "lackluster performance". It wasn't lackluster for me.....it rocked rock3 they met all my expectations. 1 little complaint, they didn't play Madagascar, o well. And what was wrong with the overall setlist for the NY shows? If anyone is a true fan of the music the setlist shouldn't matter. I don't care if they played AFD from WTTJ to Rocket queen .....I saw GNR live, loved every minute of it, and wished the show never ended.

yeah i'd like to have seen some more from the new gnr not AFD

I was there on monday the 15th and i think axl was great, I was suprised by how good his voice is seeing how the last time i heard him was on mtv awards when he seemed all out of breath, but that did not happen then, as for the rest of the band they were good, the only one i saw was Axl Rose. :P

I was there on monday the 15th and i think axl was great, I was suprised by how good his voice is seeing how the last time i heard him was on mtv awards when he seemed all out of breath, but that did not happen then, as for the rest of the band they were good, the only one i saw was Axl Rose. :P

Yes i guess it will be the same for me, I'm only going for Axl and my eyes and hears will all be for him!

I didn't need to attend the shows to know that they mostly played AFD covers.

And I heard some bootlegs... :laugh:

Finck continues being as mediocre as he's always been... Poor guy... And most important : poor fans ! :)

you're a sad hater and nothing else. :no:

all in all they were warm up gigs... so they served their purpose. Everynight the band played tighter and it sounded better.I'll give it a " B", for too much AFD and not enough UYI, and for too many guitar solo's (should do an instrumental which involves the whole band - sort of like the Godfather theme played with the old guys).

I think it overall went really well.