REVIEWS - GN'R Live Madrid 25 May 2006

pattonPwr

I was there, backstage by the way, and here's how I see it:

-band arrived late in a van and a hummer (deluxe cars?)

-THE SOUND.Sound was quite bad, bass far too loud, sometimes you couldn't even hear the guitar or Axl's voice. The need a good sound tech guy there. I talked to promoters and all and the answer was that this time the band doesn't bring its own stage and equipment. Besides instruments and amps (and some effects) the rest has been provided by the promoters. And in my opinion someone messed up that part.(4/10)

-THE (NEW) BAND. Besides that, which is not their fault, the band rocked. Specialy Robin who I think really won the public. Some solos where a bit off and sometimes 3 guitars are too many BUT they will get the hang of it. Another bad thing is that when they songs like November Rain or Some of the new ones, you can clearly see they need more instruments on stage. Those songs are too complex to just play on guitar and drums. The effects (except for Madi) weren't there and the new songs sounded a little empty in my opinion.(9/10)

-AXL. He was there (late). Motivated. In a good mood. And with voice in shape. I beleive he will do even better as the tour develops and he starts to get a little more in shape that he is right now (8/10)

-THE SOLOS. There were too many, true, and some of them a little boring (even though i still remember those hateful Sorum solos). But the reason is Axl needs to catch his breath every 3-4 songs. Another artist would just stand and not move so he doesn't get tired but Axl moved around like always... 14 years later. And again, like I said before, he will improve as the tour develops. (5/10)

-THE PUBLIC. I was a little amazed by 2 things:

*it seems Internet hasn't arrived in Spain because 99% of the public didn't know ANY of the new songs, so they just stood there and watched. And like I said, some of the new songs sounded quite bad. For example. Better sucked big time and it's great song.

*The age and profile. 90% of the people were over 30 or 35 and, to say the least, not really the image you would expect from a Heavy Metal fan (i even saw Ralph Lauren Shirts lol). That means that they will move less. i'm sure that most would have rather sat down. But not at all because the show sucked, but because you grow old and being pushed around, stepped on, etc just isn't what you want anymore. (6/10)

So in conclusion, not THE greatest show in time but quite good. Wasn't the best because of sound problems. The band AND Axl need a little more touring to get in the perfect fit.

One more thing, Spanish critics are lame, mediocre, bad informed and, to say it in the kindest possible way, a BUNCH OF UN PROFESSIONAL ASSHOLES.

Cheers

PS- Guess who I was with at an aftershow private party?

CABRON!!! How did you get those passes, why, where, when??? What happened backstage, more info man, more info!!

Loved the "Ralph Lauren" part in your review, welcome to Spain man, that's the way it is, haha!

And don't forget Richard, I think he stole most "new" hearts yesterday, definitely mine. (but man! That is one damn HUGE nose he sports!)

Base

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I don't know if I'm able to express all my mixed emotions after seeing GNR yesterday for the first time in my life. I'm spanish and english is not my language, but I'd like to give you the best review I could.

I'm a fan since 1989. I wasn't able to go to the '93 show, but I went yesterday. To me, it was going to be the most beautiful experience of my like, speaking of musical experiences. I've seen dozens of concerts, but no one could compare to what I saw yesterday.

In every goddamn term.

Two hours late, people bitching all around, sits flying, people starting to call Axl "Son of a bitch", some spokeperson making the worst thing he could vae done (lie to an angru audience), and me and my wife and my best friend sitting there, watching all these people without a clue about anything. I think they were expecting to see Slash coming out or something.

Two hours late, so? I was saying to someone (I don't even remember his face or name) that I could not understand why people hate Axl so much. And I cannot understand it today, also.

Two hours late. People had to work today. Well. That's Axl, boys & girls. You knew that. You knew he probably did de sound check and then came to rest somewhere, somehow, far from the auditorium the show was going to take place.

I was suffering watching all this stuff. And then HE went onstage. There's nothing in the world like that sound: "DO YOU KNOW WHERE THE FUCK YOU ARE?" It's something really really special. Only for that I pay a ticket and wait two hours, just for that scream, you know? I'm just like that.

The show went well, to me. The ballads were one of the highlights, and also the way Axl and the boys are getting along onstage. They seem to ENJOY, do you know what I mean? They seem to be free and alive, smiling and having a good time together. That's something that makes me feel relaxed and happy. On the other side, Axl has VERY BIG problems with his voice. I don't know if he is able to make it. The european tour and then the american leg of the tour. I really have serious doubts about it. But it's really, really amazing how he fights to make the best show possible. He's not afraid of reaching the higher notes, you know? He's got a lot of attitude, and that's something it's fair to be said about a 44 year old singer. He's got balls to do it. He really is a proffesional. That's why I could not understand people bitching and saying stupid things, like he had fucked their mothers or something in the past. Well, that's not true.

He has been out of the scene. Not making records. Not making three bad albums and going onstage to play a short show without, for example, screaming the higher notes. No. He's been out and that's it. He's made a new band, with new guys (an amazing band, and that's true, they are all great players and have the soul & the feeling to play that beautiful set list), and now he's ready. Why do I say that? Because there was a lot of provocation to Axl yesterday, and he didn't answered to that like he surely had done in the past. Plastic glasses thrown to the stage and lots of ugly insults directly to him, principally.

The sound was terrible. That's something to worry about, because it walks along with the fact that the band doesn't sound very compact. I suppose they need 20 more shows to become a real band. I mean, they are fantastic players (Dizzy's solo before "The Blues" was simply perfect, a really beautiful piece), and they seem to enjoy: Axl suddenly started singing "I feel good", the James Brown classic, and it was funny. There's chemistry between them and also a lack of experience together. That's something that really needs more work.

I suffered and enjoy. The ballads were great. Axl seemed comfortable singing "Sweet Child", "Patience", "Knockin' on heaven's door" and "November Rain", and very tense on pieces like "The Blues" or "Better" (that song didn't sound well, Axl was completely out of key and not reaching the verses correctly).

It was weird to see him coming out and showing this wonderful experience. It's been my first (and only?) time with Axl Rose and Guns N' Roses, and I wish it had been different in some points, but if someone asked me to go again, I'd say "where do I have to sign?" I love this guy and this band, with no objections. It's love untold, blind and faithful love. I simply love them. But there's a lot going on with this band since 1994. A lot of bad stuff around them.

They need to keep on trying. If they pass this hard test (the next three months without a glitch), the band would success and Axl is going to be well considered again. By now, he's considered by the press as someone who came very late onstage and did a show with lots of mistakes. And that's not good.

To me... well, as I said, I have very mixed emotions, but if I had to say just one sentence to resume my first time with them, I'd say: I LIVED ONE OF MY HAPPIEST DAYS IN MY LIFE.

PD: Thank you american fans for your support.

Well, about the party.. the whole band including Axl went to a very small private party after the show at Javier Hidalgo's house (the son of a famous Spanish entrepaneur). Didn't stay for too long, but what you just read is what I actually commented there. Of all Richard was the most accesible of the bunch. Thanks for your comments

I was there, backstage by the way, and here's how I see it:

-band arrived late in a van and a hummer (deluxe cars?)

-THE SOUND.Sound was quite bad, bass far too loud, sometimes you couldn't even hear the guitar or Axl's voice. The need a good sound tech guy there. I talked to promoters and all and the answer was that this time the band doesn't bring its own stage and equipment. Besides instruments and amps (and some effects) the rest has been provided by the promoters. And in my opinion someone messed up that part.(4/10)

-THE (NEW) BAND. Besides that, which is not their fault, the band rocked. Specialy Robin who I think really won the public. Some solos where a bit off and sometimes 3 guitars are too many BUT they will get the hang of it. Another bad thing is that when they songs like November Rain or Some of the new ones, you can clearly see they need more instruments on stage. Those songs are too complex to just play on guitar and drums. The effects (except for Madi) weren't there and the new songs sounded a little empty in my opinion.(9/10)

-AXL. He was there (late). Motivated. In a good mood. And with voice in shape. I beleive he will do even better as the tour develops and he starts to get a little more in shape that he is right now (8/10)

-THE SOLOS. There were too many, true, and some of them a little boring (even though i still remember those hateful Sorum solos). But the reason is Axl needs to catch his breath every 3-4 songs. Another artist would just stand and not move so he doesn't get tired but Axl moved around like always... 14 years later. And again, like I said before, he will improve as the tour develops. (5/10)

-THE PUBLIC. I was a little amazed by 2 things:

*it seems Internet hasn't arrived in Spain because 99% of the public didn't know ANY of the new songs, so they just stood there and watched. And like I said, some of the new songs sounded quite bad. For example. Better sucked big time and it's great song.

*The age and profile. 90% of the people were over 30 or 35 and, to say the least, not really the image you would expect from a Heavy Metal fan (i even saw Ralph Lauren Shirts lol). That means that they will move less. i'm sure that most would have rather sat down. But not at all because the show sucked, but because you grow old and being pushed around, stepped on, etc just isn't what you want anymore. (6/10)

So in conclusion, not THE greatest show in time but quite good. Wasn't the best because of sound problems. The band AND Axl need a little more touring to get in the perfect fit.

One more thing, Spanish critics are lame, mediocre, bad informed and, to say it in the kindest possible way, a BUNCH OF UN PROFESSIONAL ASSHOLES.

Cheers

PS- Guess who I was with at an aftershow private party?

Be confident with yourself as until today, fellow..I will say to you only two things, because i dont like miss my time with kiddin assholes like you:

First one: Guns n Roses had yesterday a public they did not "merecen" i dont like the fuckin english word, but as spanish gonna be the second language soon, after the chinese, english will be the third..So start to learn spanish..

Second one: this is of course a not musical matter, the education is universal..This is appart of fanatism, because music must serve to link, not to separate..In the moment that GNRs have fans like you, objective very objective""" as i see, it is a group of "four cats" as we say in Spain

I doubt..one reasonable doubt, that GNRs achieve even the half of the audience of yesterday next time. The exgience of the public is a logical thing, im so sorry about GNRs because I am a REAL fan, possibly more than you.

Thats it, my friend

That's one of the best reviews i've ever read, absolutely un-biased, that's something you don't get here too often.

Thanks for that mate, i really enjoyed that read, it's porbably the most realistic and sincere review so far /ever.

Edited by Spoon87

Its OK if your opinion is otherwise. I just don't understand how agressive you are on the matter. Cool down.

Next time they come probably you'll see more young faces with the record in the streets and all. And maybe we won't see yours either. But "the four cats" and me will be there for sure. Enjoy!

That's one of the best reviews i've ever read, absolutely un-biased, that's something you don't get here too often.

Thanks for that mate, i really enjoyed that read, it's porbably the most realistic and sincere review so far /ever.

Or maybe it's only the one that fits you most...why r u saying other reviews were not sincere?

Not realistic???

Or maybe it's only the one that fits you most...why r u saying other reviews were not sincere?

Not realistic???

Well, most of the other reviews I've read were either more pro-Axl or anti-Axl... so this one here is very balanced, points out great moments, written in a very personal, emotional way, but also mentions things which weren't too good yesterday evening...

You gotta hand it to the guy up top.

Told it as it was.

He wasn't scared to criticise, but it was constructive criticism, which is something that some fans need to know should and is allowed to happen once in a while. all he wants is to see his favourite band do some great things.

He gave the good points and bad points, which is a far cry from many of the posters around here.

A nice honest review.

I thank the guy for that.

on a final note, i just wanna say fair play Axl, because he's shown something this time around unlikme 2002....he has no fear again. He's not afraid to give the screams a good go, and isn;t worried if theyre not perfect. good luck to the guys throughout the rest of the tour.

Well dude, I'm glad you enjoyed the show, I just don't agree with you.

I don't like being fucked around like that as a thank you after 13 years.

Another guy in here said it very well: Axl still thinks he is the biggest band in the world and that it's still 1992. Things changed though in my opinion.

Axl cant go on stage and give 100% unless he is physically and mentally ready and then when he is you get the show. What would you rather have your bread half baked or what?

if someone CAN'T do that, then HE IS NOT PROFESSIONAL.

when your JOB is to be a musician, then when you have a concert you MUST DO YOUR JOB.

if someone says the opposite, then I think he knows anything about music.

I agree it is a very fair review, i did enjoy reading which there are lots on here that Axl could shit right in their face and they would says oh its ok, thats just axl's way...well sooner or later axl will see, fans get tired of some of his stupid childish shit. dont get me wrong, i love him, i saw him in nyc on the 15th and enjoyed it, but i dont enjoy how axl treats some of the fans. He seems to act like the fans owe him everything and in return they will see him perform when and if he gets ready..not cool.

Hola, soy de madrid, no entiendo casi ingles, me lo podrias decir en castellano tb, q con las pocas paginas q hay de guns n roses, encima todo es en ingles.

yo fui al concierto, a mi parecer lo q nos dejo frios fue el tiempo de espera, por los madrugones y el cansancio de haber currado, pero no me parecio q el concierto estuviera mal, yo disfrute de lo lindo viendo a axel, aunq este tan cambiado, pero era el, y para mi gusto estuvo bastante bien todo en general, quiza al principio el sonido mal, pero luego mejoro muchisimooo y bote como hacia mucho ;) (eso si, de las pocas q botaban :S)

plz, dime tu opinion en español ;

graciassss

Guest RonMexico82
Be confident with yourself as until today, fellow..I will say to you only two things, because i dont like miss my time with kiddin assholes like you:

First one: Guns n Roses had yesterday a public they did not "merecen" i dont like the fuckin english word, but as spanish gonna be the second language soon, after the chinese, english will be the third..So start to learn spanish..

Second one: this is of course a not musical matter, the education is universal..This is appart of fanatism, because music must serve to link, not to separate..In the moment that GNRs have fans like you, objective very objective""" as i see, it is a group of "four cats" as we say in Spain

I doubt..one reasonable doubt, that GNRs achieve even the half of the audience of yesterday next time. The exgience of the public is a logical thing, im so sorry about GNRs because I am a REAL fan, possibly more than you.

Thats it, my friend

Uhm what... :huh:

Edited by RonMexico82

Hola, soy de madrid, no entiendo casi ingles, me lo podrias decir en castellano tb, q con las pocas paginas q hay de guns n roses, encima todo es en ingles.

yo fui al concierto, a mi parecer lo q nos dejo frios fue el tiempo de espera, por los madrugones y el cansancio de haber currado, pero no me parecio q el concierto estuviera mal, yo disfrute de lo lindo viendo a axel, aunq este tan cambiado, pero era el, y para mi gusto estuvo bastante bien todo en general, quiza al principio el sonido mal, pero luego mejoro muchisimooo y bote como hacia mucho ;) (eso si, de las pocas q botaban :S)

plz, dime tu opinion en español ;

graciassss

what ever?