REVIEWS - GN'R Live Madrid 25 May 2006

pattonPwr

Gee, sounds like elements of the crowd were pretty hostile.

Its got me thinking. I'm pretty worried about the reception GNR might get at Download in the UK. Download is renowned for its pretty hardcore crowd/heavy metal bands/goths etc (one of the reasons i'll be giving it a miss :laugh:) .

I even recall Slash laughing at how the Download crowd were perplexed when VR played Wish You Were Here at the festival, and they were concerned whether the crowd would dig balads like Fall To Pieces or not.

Same might be said of Sweet Child and November Rain really - especially if Axl decides to go on stage 2 hours late........ Just a thought

LA

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was an awesome review - thanks. It speaks to the fans because clearly you love Gn'R like we all do but it wasn't just ''OMG AXL OMFG''. Although, admittedly I'm probably gonna be like that after the gig i'm going to! Hehe. :P

I think that people need to realise that Gn'R is not gonna be perfect for them, they never were. Axl and whoever he chooses to have in his band, has a notorious reputation attached no matter what they do to ''redeem'' themselves. Also, I feel like the people who are fans but gave crap reviews were just being a tough crowd. It's almost as if they were cynical to begin with and weren't ready to give Axl and the guys any slack at all.

It can't be easy for him. There's a lot of expectations around this, both negative and positive. It's gotta be hard to make a come back, after what? 13 years? He's playing for himself but he's also playing for US. The die-hard fans. He knows he CAN sell out massive venues because he knows no matter what he does, or doesn't do - we're still going to be there. And keeping up the rumours, the tease or whatever, that's loyaltly. He could've told us to fuck right off in 1993. Fact is, Axl's a courageous guy, he's gonna get on stage and give it his best shot. That means going for the screams - playing the big stuff - playing some new stuff - and showing us how he's healthy, happy and secure with his new band. Even if it is a little late.

At least that's how I like to think of it! rock3

Next time they come probably you'll see more young faces with the record in the streets and all. And maybe we won't see yours either. But "the four cats" and me will be there for sure. Enjoy!

Although I do agree with the Spanish dude, I must admit you're funny!

The topic creator sounds like just another crazy fan in my opinion.

So Axl was 2hrs late, so fucking what! Yes it's a slight inconvenience, but 13,000 people or however much it was still got to see him perform!

Your complaining because they used the same set design as the New York shows? Jesus fucking christ, that's a laughable complaint.

Bad sound? you do realise that an outdoor arena is not going to sound the same as an indoor concert hall?

You'd have probably been happier if Axl hadn't showed up at all, then you could have really vented your anger and bitched about Axl as much as you'd have liked to!

Very very ignorant and immature.....did you have to get up at 7 this morning?

Quit licking Axl's balls or at least get your head out of his ass! The man does things wrong and there is nothing wrong with admitting that hoping that he improves himself one day.

You do know the meaning of the words ignorant and immature, do you? I realise you're probably struggling with the language barrier, but still....

I find it amusing that you think my post was immature, but then go on to tell me to "quit licking Axl's balls or take my head out of his ass"..... yup, that's very original, and mature...

So you think my head is up Axl's ass because I havn't condemned him for being late or what? I'm not saying Axl has a right to be late, but he is well known for being late to gigs, so I would have at least been expecting some sort of delay in them taking the stage, but all would have been forgotten once they took the stage and delivered a rockin set. A lot of you seem to be completely blinded by the fact that they took to the stage 2hrs late, regardless of how good the actual performance was, you're not really interested in that, you're only interested in hurling abuse at Axl.

I was at the Leeds gig in 2002 and I'm pretty sure the band were really late in taking to the stage, but I have no recollection of that really, all I remember from that night was the amazing performance from the band.

P.S. I posted at 9:55am, not 7am, so no, I really didn't have to get up at 7.

Really good post! Thank you, totally changed my mind!

quit bitchin

other GNR fans around the world would kill to see GNR live but because of the distance or the $$$ cant see them. I can easily wait 24 hours for them and still enjoy the show and fuckin go mad with their performance.

if u want to see an artist that is puntual, go to a justin timberlake show.

HEY ITS AXL ROSE TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT

rock1

That's one of the best reviews i've ever read, absolutely un-biased, that's something you don't get here too often.

Thanks for that mate, i really enjoyed that read, it's porbably the most realistic and sincere review so far /ever.

TOTALLY agree.

If there is one thing that infuriates me about this fanbase, its the polarization. It seems you either have to think Axl does no wrong, or think Axl does nothing right. I have never understood why its so unacceptable to some here that you can be a monster, monster fan...yet still feel free to talk about times that Axl fucks up.

Anyway, great review. First shows on tours for any band are usually pretty sloppy. Hopefully, its bit of a more well oiled machine as time goes on.

I agree that when you go to a gnr gigs, you have to expect them to be late but hey, two hours late is fuck*ng to much.

While i agree that two hours is a long time to wait - for any band. There could be circumstances surrounding the delay that we don't know about. There could well have been techincal problems - and if there were then i think a delay is understandable.

While two hours is a long time - i'd wait all night.

R.

I agree that when you go to a gnr gigs, you have to expect them to be late but hey, two hours late is fuck*ng to much.

While i agree that two hours is a long time to wait - for any band. There could be circumstances surrounding the delay that we don't know about. There could well have been techincal problems - and if there were then i think a delay is understandable.

While two hours is a long time - i'd wait all night.

R.

The thing is, you know, then you should inform the crowd and not wait untill all hell is about to break loose, invent some kind of excuse (technical problems....right....) to the point where everyone can see that they weren't even there!

I told that its not just the two hours,was a fucking bad concert,boring,without soul,animation,etc....very bad :anger:

Ok, still trying to figure this out..many people thought that the concert was 'boring'...how??

how could seeing axl possibly put you to sleep?

please elaborate...either you guys were at the wrong concert or I'm missing something here :question:

Small review of the show:

Because the band arrived two hours later than sceduled the atmophere was very tensed, all time name calling like "hijo de puta", "cabron" etc. But anyway the show started like in NY with WTC which was in my opinion one of the best performances of the show (together with out to get me; nightrain and PC).

Very boring were the guitar solos (the even played "you're beautifull" by cristina aquilera :scared: ) and piano solo by Dizzy. It realy slowed to show down. Robin's performance was very disappointed. Bfoot did a good job

Axl performance was very good (9/10) apart from "it's so easy" and "better".

Setlist (10/10)

Guitars (6/10)

-----------------------

Overall 8/10

total playtime 2h20min

mr.Q