the new gn'r: what's on your mind?

ohyesindeed

hi there.

i've been a gn'r fan since 88 when, at the tender age of 8, i heard axl say "why dont you just fuck off!!!" on appetite. Lies was the first LP i ever bought, and i've been hooked ever since.

anyhoo, i'm new to this board, and i wanted to say "hello" and "thank you" to this online community before i start ranting. this site is a killer source for gn'r info!!!!

annnnnyway, i was just reading the thread about the madrid show and its bad review, and i felt compelled to post my thoughts about the current "gn'r" situation. truth is, i really don't think axl is gonna have any luck with the press in any country with his new band or with the record (if it actually comes out). i remember after the MTV awards in '02 he said to kurt loder "i'm not sure its been done like this before." well, axl, there's a reason for that: you cant take the greatest, most recognizable band of an era and replace everybody and expect people to embrace it like its 1988. he's got to be plain delusional....especially when you consider the fact that gn'r, at their peak, were always a collaborative effort. it's not like he's prince or trent reznor and he wrote every note of every instrument in every song and just "assigned" parts to the rest of the band....i was looking in the songwriting credits section of this very forum, and axl didnt even write "patience" which he still performs!! don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to bash him. i think the new songs i've heard are pretty good just because his voice is so good. axl could sing any lyric and any melody and make it sound awesome, but that doesn't make it guns n fuckin roses. axl's voice was just one part of a great equation forged by the 5 original gunners. granted,his voice was possibly the best and most recognizable part of that equation, but still: i don't understand why doesnt call it "the axl rose band." no shame in that....."axl rose" is the friggin greatest rock n roll name of all time!!!! david lee roth had a sucessful solo career after van halen, and he had a bad-ass band behnd him playing van halen tunes on tour, but they werent van halen now, were they? everyone seems to be buzzing about izzy's appearance in new york, posting things like "full original guns lineup has to be imminent! bad ass!" or things to that effect....clearly some of you would rather see the original guns......so what do you guys really think? does this new lineup, with all of its musical bad-assness, deserve to be called "guns n roses"? or do you feel ripped off/patronized? to me gn'r is axl,slash, izzy, duff, and steven (and to a lesser extent matt sorum and dizzy reed). robin finck is an incredible guitar player, but he didnt write the stuff he plays, slash and izzy did. the majority of the stuff this band plays live is all from original era....yet the original members are not in the band!!!

i wanna know what you guys, the hardcore fans, really think of this. thanks for reading.....

Edited by ohyesindeed

I agree Axl's got an uphill battle but he's got a great band and the new songs are amazing.

I just wish he would reveal both to the public in a bigger way. (the new guys & new songs).

He should draw a line in the sand and say "that was the past (Slash, Duff, Izzy, et al)" and "this is now (Chinese Democracy, Robin, Tommy, Bumblefoot, etc)" Here's our new album and we're gonna tour playing a shitload of new songs. We'll play some oldies, but it's gonna be all about the new.

Unfortunately Axl still hates the media so bad that he doesn't realize he needs a lot of press and word of mouth to promote this new band. He needs something big and dramatic that says "We're back!"

And releasing the most controversial, highly anticipated hard rock album in history would be a cool way to start.

Edited by shotdowninflames

hi there.

i've been a gn'r fan since 88 when, at the tender age of 8, i heard axl say "why dont you just fuck off!!!" on appetite. Lies was the first LP i ever bought, and i've been hooked ever since.

anyhoo, i'm new to this board, and i wanted to say "hello" and "thank you" to this online community before i start ranting. this site is a killer source for gn'r info!!!!

annnnnyway, i was just reading the thread about the madrid show and its bad review, and i felt compelled to post my thoughts about the current "gn'r" situation. truth is, i really don't think axl is gonna have any luck with the press in any country with his new band or with the record (if it actually comes out). i remember after the MTV awards in '02 he said to kurt loder "i'm not sure its been done like this before." well, axl, there's a reason for that: you cant take the greatest, most recognizable band of an era and replace everybody and expect people to embrace it like its 1988. he's got to be plain delusional....especially when you consider the fact that gn'r, at their peak, were always a collaborative effort. it's not like he's prince or trent reznor and he wrote every note of every instrument in every song and just "assigned" parts to the rest of the band....i was looking in the songwriting credits section of this very forum, and axl didnt even write "patience" which he still performs!! don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to bash him. i think the new songs i've heard are pretty good just because his voice is so good. axl could sing any lyric and any melody and make it sound awesome, but that doesn't make it guns n fuckin roses. axl's voice was just one part of a great equation forged by the 5 original gunners. granted,his voice was possibly the best and most recognizable part of that equation, but still: i don't understand why doesnt call it "the axl rose band." no shame in that....."axl rose" is the friggin greatest rock n roll name of all time!!!! david lee roth had a sucessful solo career after van halen, and he had a bad-ass band behnd him playing van halen tunes on tour, but they werent van halen now, were they? everyone seems to be buzzing about izzy's appearance in new york, posting things like "full original guns lineup has to be imminent! bad ass!" or things to that effect....clearly some of you would rather see the original guns......so what do you guys really think? does this new lineup, with all of its musical bad-assness, deserve to be called "guns n roses"? or do you feel ripped off/patronized? to me gn'r is axl,slash, izzy, duff, and steven (and to a lesser extent matt sorum and dizzy reed). robin finck is an incredible guitar player, but he didnt write the stuff he plays, slash and izzy did. the majority of the stuff this band plays live is all from original era....yet the original members are not in the band!!!

i wanna know what you guys, the hardcore fans, really think of this. thanks for reading.....

To me you're perfectly right, the matter, the only matter, is that Axl didn't call himself "Axl Rose" but "Guns n' Roses"

When SLASH left the band I was like...Axl will do a lot of cool ballads and will get the greatest ever...

But he didn't...he didn't do much actually, maybe he is scared, I've just listened to an audio clip somebody posted, it is from 2002 and Axl starts yelling to someone who probably named SLASH when he was presenting the band, he really got crazy!

I think the way he talked was just frightening... ...

Yes I do feel ripped off because GnR were a Band not a name, not a man............

Anyway still there's time for.......................

please let me say it ;)

REUNION!!!!!!!!!

hi there.

To me you're perfectly right, the matter, the only matter, is that Axl didn't call himself "Axl Rose" but "Guns n' Roses"

When SLASH left the band I was like...Axl will do a lot of cool ballads and will get the greatest ever...

But he didn't...he didn't do much actually, maybe he is scared, I've just listened to an audio clip somebody posted, it is from 2002 and Axl starts yelling to someone who probably named SLASH when he was presenting the band, he really got crazy!

I think the way he talked was just frightening... ...

Yes I do feel ripped off because GnR were a Band not a name, not a man............

Anyway still there's time for.......................

please let me say it ;)

REUNION!!!!!!!!!

YES!!! Say it loud and Proud!!!!! rock1

i think a reunion will happen, but not until after the record is out. public demand is too great for it. however, axl would be stupid to do a full-fledged gn'r reunion before he has a chance to really sell the new band/songs to people. i read an article in classic rock magazine that the original guns had agreed to reunite for 2 shows and a live DVD, but axl said the other guys would have to forfeit the rest of their rights/gn'r royalties after said reunion. nice guy.

either way, it is quite obvious that axl is really scared of something, cause releasing a record, in his position, is a very easy thing to do. he could have it come out next week if he wanted. his label wants it out, and i'm sure the band does too. but then again, once the album comes out axl will have to officially transform from mysterious recluse to un-mysterious public figure with a record to promote, and a tour to fulfill.

and we all know how that could turn out...if the record blows and the live band is lame, that'll be the end of it......then he'll have to do an original gn'r reunion!!! rock3

Edited by ohyesindeed

i think a reunion will happen, but not until after the record is out. public demand is too great for it. however, axl would be stupid to do a full-fledged gn'r reunion before he has a chance to really sell the new band/songs to people. i read an article in classic rock magazine that the original guns had agreed to reunite for 2 shows and a live DVD, but axl said the other guys would have to forfeit the rest of their rights/gn'r royalties after said reunion. nice guy.

That rumour was bullshit.

"hi there.

i've been a gn'r fan since 88 when, at the tender age of 8, i heard axl say "why dont you just fuck off!!!"

................................................................................

So...it wasn't Slash's solos or Duff's rock star vibe or Izzy's crunching guitar work that hooked you.

It was swagger and attitude...

GnR reached that rare pinnacle in rock and roll that few bands attain...larger than life.

It went to a level that was beyond the sum of the parts.

It's about the power of the music,the attitude...a celebration of the BEST rock and roll has to offer (regardless of who's laying down the riff).

let go and enjoy it brother...it's a hell of a lot of fun

...and welcome to the board

Axl wrote patience didnt he,, well the lyrics... am i the only one who thinks this???????

Izzy did

Chuck Norris wrote it

No silly, Norris just produced it.

I feel like the only one who doesnt understand this whole Chuck Norris joke, someone help me :(

I'd love to tell you, but Chuck Norris would have to kill you.

Axl wrote patience didnt he,, well the lyrics... am i the only one who thinks this???????

Izzy did

Chuck Norris wrote it

No silly, Norris just produced it.

I feel like the only one who doesnt understand this whole Chuck Norris joke, someone help me :(

I'd love to tell you, but Chuck Norris would have to kill you.

HAHA very funny, o wait its not coz i still dont get it. Everyone talks about him and i dont get it.

Edited by bucketmaster101