Greatest Led Zeppelin Album

Ride The Lightning

What is the best Zep Album?  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

I is really excellent, and it has mine and Slash's favorite Zeppelin track, "Your Time Is Gonna Come".

II is a crime.

III is quite good, but sort of uneven, and besides "Immigrant Song", the electric songs aren't too great.

IV is a masterpiece, close to perfect.

Houses of The Holy is another classic, with some of their best and most challenging tracks, but it also contains one of their worst, "The Crunge".

Physical Graffiti has some great tracks, but a few of the more famous ones aren't as good as they are made out to be. The more unknown tracks, I think are quite good. "In My Time Of Dying" for example is just a Blues standard without much added originality, but is well loved. "Black Country Woman" is a cool, original song, and isn't talked about so much.

Presence is where they start to lose it, but atleast it has a unified sound, and it's star opener satisfies greatly.

The other two I don't have.

I think I is my favorite.

I don't really care for Led Zeppelin at all anymore.

I voted II, because it was the last one I bought, and I'm getting into it.

IV is good, but the second side really didn't convince me. Side 1 is close to perfect though.

I also like Houses Of The Holy a lot, though Dancing Days and The Crunge slow it down for me.

I also like Houses Of The Holy a lot, though Dancing Days and The Crunge slow it down for me.

I like "Dancing Days" very much.

Yeah, me too, but I like the other songs better.

Oh, alright.

"No Quarter" seems so childish to me now, especially live with John Paul's 10 minute keyboard meanderings.

Oh, alright.

Listened to it again ... It's pretty good, really

Oh, alright.

Listened to it again ... It's pretty good, really

Really is. :lol:

Physical Graffiti has some great tracks, but a few of the more famous ones aren't as good as they are made out to be. The more unknown tracks, I think are quite good. "In My Time Of Dying" for example is just a Blues standard without much added originality, but is well loved. "Black Country Woman" is a cool, original song, and isn't talked about so much.

"In My Time Of Dying" is one of my favorite Zeppelin songs. Have you seen it played live on the Zep dvd? It's amazing.

"In My Time Of Dying" is one of my favorite Zeppelin songs. Have you seen it played live on the Zep dvd? It's amazing.

Yeah, that was one of those songs that makes you think "holy shit, they can do that too?".

What I mean is, the first time listening to any Led Zep outside the radio singles, you hear all this amazing range of styles that don't necessarily go together in any other band. But these guys could go from acoustic folk, eastern raga, samba, reggae, slide blues, funk, prog, psychedelic jams, hard rock, rockabilly, and straight up rock and roll in a heartbeat. That's what probably set them appart from their hard rock peers.

You'd have to be a fool to think Ian Paice, Keith Moon, or Bill Ward could handle a groove as slick and greasy as Fool In The Rain...

Not so amazing if you've ever heard Blind Willie Johnson or Elmore James or Earl Hooker or...

Not so amazing if you've ever heard Blind Willie Johnson or Elmore James or Earl Hooker or...

But like I said in my post, Zep could pull off blues, and next they'd go into a completely different style...

I doubt Blind Willie or Elmore James could go off and do Carousembala, or Four Sticks...

But like I said in my post, Zep could pull off blues, and next they'd go into a completely different style...

I doubt Blind Willie or Elmore James could go off and do Carousembala, or Four Sticks...

Why not? Those styles you mentioned didn't exist while they were alive, but what they did they did well and with integrity and originality. I don't think this is a good point anyway, but if I must, in the old days you had to moonlight on all kinds of jobs just to stay alive, the versatility of the great Blues men would have surprised you, although you won't find evidence of it on record. Robert Johnson for example, was one of the greatest of his time because he was able to play Country, Cabaret, and other styles when called upon to do so. This helped him gain financial legitimacy and make a name for himself. The same could be said for most of the famous Pre-War Bluesmen.

Anyway, what I meant in my post was that Jimmy Page doesn't impress so much on slide if you are well-educated, but second-rate Blues never ceases to amaze the masses.