Greatest Led Zeppelin Album

Ride The Lightning

What is the best Zep Album?  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Physical Graffiti has some great tracks, but a few of the more famous ones aren't as good as they are made out to be. The more unknown tracks, I think are quite good. "In My Time Of Dying" for example is just a Blues standard without much added originality, but is well loved. "Black Country Woman" is a cool, original song, and isn't talked about so much.

"In My Time Of Dying" is one of my favorite Zeppelin songs. Have you seen it played live on the Zep dvd? It's amazing.

Not so amazing if you've ever heard Blind Willie Johnson or Elmore James or Earl Hooker or...

Dude, the holier than thou act is gettign really old. Don't get me wrong, I love blues as much as you but dude, they're apples and oranges. Blind Willie and Elmore and Earl Hooker have nothing to do with Zeppelin. Sure they were and influence but come on!

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789
Physical Graffiti has some great tracks, but a few of the more famous ones aren't as good as they are made out to be. The more unknown tracks, I think are quite good. "In My Time Of Dying" for example is just a Blues standard without much added originality, but is well loved. "Black Country Woman" is a cool, original song, and isn't talked about so much.

"In My Time Of Dying" is one of my favorite Zeppelin songs. Have you seen it played live on the Zep dvd? It's amazing.

Not so amazing if you've ever heard Blind Willie Johnson or Elmore James or Earl Hooker or...

Dude, the holier than thou act is gettign really old. Don't get me wrong, I love blues as much as you but dude, they're apples and oranges. Blind Willie and Elmore and Earl Hooker have nothing to do with Zeppelin. Sure they were and influence but come on!

Jimmy Page can't hold a candle to them as a slide guitarist, and his slide guitar playing is central to "In My Time Of Dying". That's why I don't find it amazing.

Think before you accuse me of any of that.

Jimmy Page can't hold a candle to them as a slide guitarist, and his slide guitar playing is central to "In My Time Of Dying". That's why I don't find it amazing.

let the people enjoy their Zeppelin. You don't like them that's fine, but you don't have to drag the thread down.

Page may not be the best slide player, but he still plays it well enough for what he needed it. He is but a 1/4 of what made that song great anyway...

let the people enjoy their Zeppelin. You don't like them that's fine, but you don't have to drag the thread down.

Page may not be the best slide player, but he still plays it well enough for what he needed it. He is but a 1/4 of what made that song great anyway...

I was afraid it would reach this point.

Look, I obviously like Led Zeppelin, read my first post. Are you all allergic to constructive criticism? It's a healthy debate until you say things like that. I don't think "In My Time Of Dying" is quite amazing. If we were talking about something like "Kashmir" it would be a different story.

My favorite Led Zeppelin album changes all the time. I'm voting for 'Houses Of The Holy'. - :)

"That's gonna be the one, Andy - "Come have a listen, then." - "Oh yes, thank you."

Edited by Ions

I was afraid it would reach this point.

Look, I obviously like Led Zeppelin, read my first post. Are you all allergic to constructive criticism? It's a healthy debate until you say things like that. I don't think "In My Time Of Dying" is quite amazing. If we were talking about something like "Kashmir" it would be a different story.

I find it quite annoying that you generalize your personal opinion as a matter of fact.

Obviously other people like other aspects of the band no matter if they are blues based, coverd or whatever.

It should not be so difficult to accept that.

Oh NO we've reached "that" point!!

Allergic? nah but it's so obvious you want to convince people that love their zeppelin that they weren't all that great, and all I can say is good luck with that. We just wanted to chat about our favorite album and why it was so, but noooo...

Somebody somewhere always has to question why people hold Led Zep in such high esteem.

And...

Why Kashmir? I mean, I don't mind the song but it just keeps going and going with that riff. To me it doesn't seem to go anywhere...

"That's gonna be the one, Andy - "Come have a listen, then." - "Oh yes, thank you."
hell yeah, that's after like the last 5 or 6 minutes of Bonzo going nuts on that song. He was just on fire. Edited by moreblack

I'm listening to In Through The Out Door again. Its pretty amazing how Led Zeppelin's worst album still kicks ass.

Yeah, even the lesser known tunes like Carousembala have something cool about them. In The Evening is a kick ass rocker, I'm Gonna Crawl was great too. All My Love is kinda cheesy, but one cheesy song in 11 albums isn't bad. Fool In The Rain is so slick, I love it.

"In My Time Of Dying" for example is just a Blues standard without much added originality

i love the ebb and flow of that song. also, the middle section where Bonham and gang are so staggered, yet synchopated. i hope you know which part i'm talking about. i'm at work or i'd give you min:sec. to me, the "blues standards without much added originality" is on the first two albums. although, i love those albums. i think they were at their peak with PG.

"In My Time Of Dying" for example is just a Blues standard without much added originality

i love the ebb and flow of that song. also, the middle section where Bonham and gang are so staggered, yet synchopated. i hope you know which part i'm talking about.

are you talking about the "St. Peter won't you let me in? I never did no wrong" part?

i love the ebb and flow of that song. also, the middle section where Bonham and gang are so staggered, yet synchopated. i hope you know which part i'm talking about.

are you talking about the "St. Peter won't you let me in? I never did no wrong" part?

yeah, the "..won't ya blow your horn..."

here's the tab:

E|8--87---8--87---|8--87---8--87---|----------------|----------------|

C#|8--87---8--87---|8--87---8--87---|----------------|----------------|

A|5--55---5--55---|5--55---5--55---|-320320053-0----|-320320053-0----|

E|5--55---5--55---|5--55---5--55---|-320320053-0----|-320320053-0----|

A|5--55---5--55---|5--55---5--55---|----------------|----------------|

E|----------------|----------------|----------------|----------------|

9/8 time 4/4 time

E|----------------|-----------------|| 8--87---8--87---|8--87---8--87---|

C#|----------------|-----------------|| 8--87---8--87---|8--87---8--87---|

A|-320320053-0----|-320320053-0-----||o5--55---5--55---|5--55---5--55---|

E|-320320053-0----|-320320053-0-----||o5--55---5--55---|5--55---5--55---|

A|----------------|-----------------|| 5--55---5--55---|5--55---5--55---|

E|----------------|-----------------|| ----------------|----------------|

E|8--87---8--87---|8--87---8--87---|----------------|----------------|

C#|8--87---8--87---|8--87---8--87---|----------------|----------------|

A|5--55---5--55---|5--55---5--55---|-320320053-0----|-320320053-0----|

E|5--55---5--55---|5--55---5--55---|-320320053-0----|-320320053-0----|

A|5--55---5--55---|5--55---5--55---|----------------|----------------|

E|----------------|----------------|----------------|----------------|

:huh: Okay everyone, I'm sorry for not thinking "In Time Of Dying" is amazing. That's a very strong word you know? I've said good things about two other songs on that album in this thread, but you all ignore it and blindly criticize me as a pure hater.

you finished your review with:
I don't really care for Led Zeppelin at all anymore.
That just set you apart as one of them not one of us.

Doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about, although I no longer listen to them, I know what I liked and disliked when I did. I just don't like being criticized when I have a reasonable point like that. I know Led Zeppelin pretty well and I am entitled to my opinion on them.

I just don't like being criticized when I have a reasonable point like that. I know Led Zeppelin pretty well and I am entitled to my opinion on them.

But you can't be surprised when it creates the kind of reaction it did. I immagine you said what you said in order to incite it.

I just don't like being criticized when I have a reasonable point like that. I know Led Zeppelin pretty well and I am entitled to my opinion on them.

But you can't be surprised when it creates the kind of reaction it did. I immagine you said what you said in order to incite it.

Not really. Someone reacted to my opinion on the song, and I elaborated on it. That's all.

:huh: Okay everyone, I'm sorry for not thinking "In Time Of Dying" is amazing. That's a very strong word you know? I've said good things about two other songs on that album in this thread, but you all ignore it and blindly criticize me as a pure hater.

i don't see you as a hater. everybody's opinion is worth something. it's not a bad thing to have differing opinions. how boring would this place be if it were like this:

Poster:

Man i love me some Zeppelin.

reply:

yep

reply:

yep

ya know?