Fan Reviews of RIR

Matty Boy

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every classic GnR gig that ive seen, and heard JUST WENT OUT THE FUCKING WINDOW!!!!!

My god what a spot on show, the chemistry was all there, the vibe, the triple dueling guitars, and the vocals of Axl Rose.

Hits of the night!

OUT TA GET ME!!!!!!

Brain Drum Solo into You Could Be Mine

November Rain

RICHARD FORTUS!

IM still shaking in my seat after witnessing the GREATEST BAND IN THE WORLD.

I WANT MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rock3

You're forgetting Nightrain! rock2

And I didn't like the drum solo much...

It beats whatever Matt Sorum could do though :sleeper:

How about Robin running and trying to get over the fence??!!!! that was classic, and don't forget about MOTHERFUCKING NIGHTRAIN!!!!!! rock4 rock1 rock4rock3

Kannon.

*Only those asshole ingeniers fucked up the sound :anger: the Mix was way off in some songs! :no: .....Axl was the shit!!!! I thought his voice was bad but after watching some stuff it was the sound!

Setlist

Welcome to the Jungle

It's So Easy

Mr. Brownstone

IRS

Finck Solo

Sweet Child O' Mine

Knockin' On Heaven's Door

Dizzy Keyboard Solo

Live And Let Die

Instrumental Jam

Dizzy Piano Solo

The Blue

I Feel Good (James Brown Cover)

Rocket Queen

Fortus Solo

Fortus/Finck Solo (Beautiful)

Out Ta Get Me

Intrumental Jam (Axl called it "Fuckin' Off in 'G'"...AHAHHA)

Axl Piano Solo

November Rain

Bumblefoot Solo (Feat. Don't Cry)

Better

Brain Solo

You Could Be Mine

Patience

Finck Solo

Nightain

Paradise City (encore)

Edited by RJ88

ok....

the show wuz awsome!!!!!

but sweet child o' mine sounded kinda screwed up.....

and alot of the time the guitars were drownding out axl's beutiful voice!!!!

that got me kinda mad....but at least he looked SEXY!!!!

:wub:

It's Axl's last chance and he's repeating 2002 all over again. But apparently I should be happy and not express any disappointment? Ha.

When the hell are you people going to be happy? GNR is back. Bumble... Bucket... who the fuck cares....GNR are back. They were good enough for me.

Oh. They didn't play this. They didn't play that. The reason any of you still care is because of what HE did. Not Slash, not Duff, not Izzy.....but Axl. Axl went out there, like he did in NYC (I was at the May 12th show) and blow everyone away. He sounded amazing!!! The band played what they were told to and they did a great job. Sure, I can't wait for Chi Dem to come out, but if it never did, GNR are still one of the greatest bands eever!!!!!!!! To hear that setlist again, and to hear them nail it, is priceless!!!

I wont say im cheated or disappointed but it is a curious move by Axl only playing the old songs..With the new songs on the setlist being clearly inferior to the older ones.

NUGNR will never get big using the current setlist

It'd be stupid to play an entire CD live before its out.

It'd be stupid to embark on another tour without an album out.

It'd be stupid to try and promote a new band, a new era, and a new album (supposedly) by playing a setlist of predominantly old songs that were created by another band.

It's Axl's last chance and he's repeating 2002 all over again. But apparently I should be happy and not express any disappointment? Ha.

I think that's a fair point of view.

Some people think we should just be happy they are out there performing. I am, but only to a point. Don't you people want more than that? What the hell have we been waiting for year in and year out? Why have we been coming the forums each and every day?

This is about Chinese Democracy. I realize it may take some time to get going and that the band is probably following some sort of plan. But as a fan I don't think anyone should have to apologize for being disappointed that this grand comeback has started off with a bit of a whimper. If they don't want to play new songs too early that's fine, but tell me this much...what is the excuse for not at least playing TWAT, Madagascar, Chinese Democracy, and Catcher in the Rye? We've all heard them. There is no loss in playing these songs a little more frequently. Two of them could have been mixed into tonight's setlist in between other songs.

I would think that part of being a fan is being impatient to get something new. Why didn't all those fans who stood in line to buy the Illusions just stay at home and wait for a few months? Impatient bastards! Just shut up and be happy that GN'R is back.

It's true that some fans do nothing but rag on the band, but others do nothing but defend them no matter what. ;) As fans we should be looking at them in a critical light. It's because we are fans that we want them to excel. We care about them and don't want to see them make mistakes, and when they do we shouldn't just pretend they aren't happening. And I'm not saying they are making huge mistakes. We don't have the entire game plan in front of us to be able to judge too harshly. Once the first single hits things will probably be a lot different. But it does seem like things are stalling a bit. Who would have thought back on May 10th that the setlists played in 2006 would be this similar to the ones in 2002? Yeah, the band sounds a lot better and they have played some new material.

Nothing wrong with wanting more though...that's what being a fan is.

Edited by KBear

It'd be stupid to try and promote a new band, a new era, and a new album (supposedly) by playing a setlist of predominantly old songs that were created by another band.

Good points, but at this moment in time, with an album still not out, most fans would be dissapointed (to an extent) if they went to a Guns n Roses concert and heard a set list full of new songs that they hadnt heard yet, and had no source to hear them previous to the gig so they could at least get partly excited about them, which is the way Axl is going to have to play it until the new CD comes out and they can get a reaction over some of the newer songs and what goes down well with the fans.

If you went to a concert and heard the following (im making the titles up as an example of the new songs they could play if everything went the opposite) :

Welcome to the Jungle

It's so Easy

Man, thats a nice hat

Clowns all over my lawn

This Baseball game sucks ass, i want my ten bucks back

Foam Finger - tool of the gods

The gift of new Pants

Rocket Queen

Cup of coffee and a slice of banoffee

Ass hero

Pitiful Pitta Bread but good falafel

My enemies Teeth

Cheers for the box set, dumbass

Fuck me, Im Flying!

Look at this pen, look how it writes

Im a bongo kinda guy and bongo i will

Im so proud of it i stuck my balls into it

New Car Hell

Pissed Officer of the law

Paradise City

You'd still get a lot of people going "ahh shit they didnt even play YCBM or SCOM"

In contrast with the 2002 shows, these 2006 shows and Axl's atitude seem a hell of a lot better and it genuinely does feel like he's doing this because he wants to, not because they need to make money or need to remind people they're still around.

Things could be a lot worse, and they have been.

Edited by mr-fukaji

Good points, but at this moment in time, with an album still not out, most fans would be dissapointed (to an extent) if they went to a Guns n Roses concert and heard a set list full of new songs that they hadnt heard yet, and had no source to hear them previous to the gig so they could at least get partly excited about them, which is the way Axl is going to have to play it until the new CD comes out and they can get a reaction over some of the newer songs and what goes down well with the fans.

If you went to a concert and heard the following (im making the titles up as an example of the new songs they could play if everything went the opposite) :

Welcome to the Jungle

It's so Easy

Man, thats a nice hat

Clowns all over my lawn

This Baseball game sucks ass, i want my ten bucks back

Foam Finger - tool of the gods

The gift of new Pants

Rocket Queen

Cup of coffee and a slice of banoffee

Ass hero

Pitiful Pitta Bread but good falafel

My enemies Teeth

Cheers for the box set, dumbass

Fuck me, Im Flying!

Look at this pen, look how it writes

Im a bongo kinda guy and bongo i will

Im so proud of it i stuck my balls into it

New Car Hell

Pissed Officer of the law

Paradise City

You'd still get a lot of people going "ahh shit they didnt even play YCBM or SCOM"

In contrast with the 2002 shows, these 2006 shows and Axl's atitude seem a hell of a lot better and it genuinely does feel like he's doing this because he wants to, not because they need to make money or need to remind people they're still around.

Things could be a lot worse, and they have been.

AGREE!!!!! 100%

Sound techs: Fuckers need to be castrated, they ruined what could've been one of the best shows in history. 1/10

Axl: Ok, the guy's got it. Energy and fashion were spot-on really. Talk about his voice? Yeah, the rasp is back, unless you want the sore throat voice back (why would anyone really?). A ton of power and ability in his voice that just was not there in 2002, and dare I say it even in 1992. 10/10

Richard Fortus: Always been my favorite new guitarist. And tonight just really convinced me of it, his soloing was brilliant and the duet with Finck was just unbelievable. 9/10

Tommy Stinson: Great stage presence and once again proved that he's an immensely talented bassist. 8/10

Ron Thal: What can you say about the guy? Truly brilliant. Everything about him tonight was perfect, November Rain was played so perfectly by him, his solo was amazing and his li'l insert of "Don't Cry" into the mix. 10/10

Robin Finck: Aside from a great image and far improved stage presence he is still the least talented of the three guitarists. He did absolutely shine at times though, I will give that to him. 6.5/10

Dizzy Reed: I think he was the highlight of the show, it is just special when you get to see someone play so brilliantly, the intro to LALD, and the Blues, and his solo before that. Irresisteble. I just must say that Dizzy blew me off today, simply one of the best performances in history. Amazing. Absolutely and utterly amazing. My idol. 20/10

Brain: Very good drummer. I enjoyed his drum solo which was clearly superior to Matt Sorum's horrendous drum solos. 8/10

Pittman: Well, I guess he did a good job, the horn was used well, and his synth was very good. I say this as a keyboard/synth player myself. 7/10

Setlist: Unsatisfactory, but reasonable, as I'm sure Axl doesn't want the whole world to hear CD prior to its release. 6/10

Overall grade: 9.25/10

All in all, probably the best concert since the UYI era and the crowning achievement for this band, who really proved that they are, in fact, a band. The chemistry on display tonight was absolutely brilliant and far superior to the later UYI shows.

Saw the show....the shoddy sound ruined a bit of the experience...like Axl's mike cutting off during SCOM...that was unfortunate....

I do feel a bit dissapointed....

The setlist....mundane....Rock in Rio is a special concert....I don't think it's a lot to ask for it to be more spontaneous....How about "Used to love her" instead of stuff like Live and Let die and KOHD? Or catcher in the rye? I mean millions of people are watching this show, it should have been different from the other shows they've played....imho Axl missed a big opportunity....

Axl did a good job and his voice held together, pittman/dizzy/stinson I don't care about and never pay attention to them....

Fortus did a great job....he gives it everything he has and I like his guitar playing....very bluesy....

Bumblefoot, I don't get why people are bitching about him, with each bootleg he's sounding better.... his nightrain solo was awesome....maybe not as good as Bucket's, but still pretty damn good...

Finck....I just can't get into this guy....his image is ridiculous with the white tights and vest....and I just don't enjoy his style of playing. Didn't dig his solo and he screwed up november rain again. Did a good job on Patience I guess...but I just am not feeling this guy....

NIghtrain is definitely the highlight....this band plays the shit out of it, that's their trump card....I enjoyed Bumble's nightrain outro.... rock1 YCBM was played very well, the guitar mix was great... though brain still can't get the damn intro beat right....

The moodkillers were the multiple solos (Drum solo! LOL), and the slow stuff like the cover songs and Patience could easily be removed from the setlist without missing a beat in favor of acoustic songs from lies or illusion era songs....

The encore felt really rushed, they just ran through paradise city.....no rants, no speeches....

Anyone else despise those wacky synth effects of Pittman? They were annoying on LALD....

Overall, while it was an enjoyable show with solid musicianship and Axl giving a good performance....the setlist, finck, the multiple solos, and the crappy sound hurt the show.

Throughout the performance I kept scratching my head and wondering "Is this a badass rock n roll band? Seems more like a vegas act....with the lightshow and offbeat instrumental jams and synth effects"......that's just my personal take on things, it didn't really detract from my enjoyment but this band truly is a different beast for sure....

7/10

Edited by SylvesterStallone

BTW, what happened to the start of PC? Axl had the whistle but decided not to blow it after he got messed up at the start of the song. Another poor Finck solo was in PC at the part when Axl sings "So far away...".

Sorry, but I call it as I see it. I do realize however that I am nit-picking.

Good points, but at this moment in time, with an album still not out, most fans would be dissapointed (to an extent) if they went to a Guns n Roses concert and heard a set list full of new songs that they hadnt heard yet

Mate, even if it was a 50/50 ratio of old and new songs, I'd be reasonably happy.

I mean, fuck, would anyone care if they went to NuGnR concert and didn't see Live & Let Die or Out Ta Get Me?

Saw the show....the shoddy sound ruined a bit of the experience...like Axl's mike cutting off during SCOM...that was unfortunate....

The setlist....mundane....Rock in Rio is a special concert....I don't think it's a lot to ask for it to be more spontaneous....How about "Used to love her" instead of stuff like Live and Let die and KOHD? Or catcher in the rye? I mean millions of people are watching this show, it should have been different from the other shows they've played....imho Axl missed a big opportunity....

I've always loved KOHD, but it didn't do much for me tonight. Not that they played it poorly, just the energy it had. LALD, I have never been a huge fan of the song, but it really kicks ass live. I thought the piano intro to it was really good, overall the song has a lot of energy. I always find myself enjoying it when they do it live - it's kind of a staple now (always has been really). Ditto for Out Ta Get Me.

But yeah. It's curious why they omit songs like TWAT, Chinese Democracy, Maddy, and Catcher from shows. And why they haven't added some different songs from the Illusions to the set list than they played back in 2002. Yesterdays, Dead Horse, Breakdown...these songs would be a breath of fresh air IMO.

Edited by KBear

I've always loved KOHD, but it didn't do much for me tonight. Not that they played it poorly, just the energy it had. LALD, I have never been a huge fan of the song, but it really kicks ass live. I thought the piano intro to it was really good, overall the song has a lot of energy. I always find myself enjoying it when they do it live - it's kind of a staple now (always has been really). Ditto for Out Ta Get Me.

But yeah. It's curious why they omit songs like TWAT, Chinese Democracy, Maddy, and Catcher from shows. And why they haven't added some different songs from the Illusions to the set list than they played back in 2002. Yesterdays, Dead Horse, Breakdown...these songs would be a breath of fresh air IMO.

Fair points, I enjoy KOHD as much as the next guy, but the mellow version was a momentum killer....Catcher in the Rye would have been a GREAT song to debut in Rio....it's one of the best songs out of all the leaks and it hasn't been played live yet...missed opportunity....

Did you ever feel like the renditions of some songs like Rocket Queen by the new band sound way too "busy"?...like there's just too much going on to really get a clear sound...for example the Rocket Queen outro in the 92 tokyo show compared to the outro in this show...where you have 3 guitars going at it and overpowering axl's voice....

If Axl played every song off of CD, this thread would be turned into a reunion thread. If Axl showcased all 32 songs he wants in 3 albums and played them all from his ass with a kazoo, nailing every solo, and still had enough rasp, some still would not be satisfied. Then, they'd say that Slash would need to be there because the kazoo isn't good enough to play those solos.

Then, if Axl said CD would come out tomorrow, the next album a week after, and the final album 2 weeks after that, people would still find some way to say, "Well the new songs should've been played. If not, Slash should've been there. If not, Buckethead should've been there. If not Bucket, Tracii. Wait! No! I want the kazoo back again. Why wasn't Izzy there? Is Adler playing lead now?" Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? Maybe because that's how these threads shape out to be.

This band is on top of the fucking game and Axl has promised the album to drop twice, and in both instances, before the end of the year. He has thanked us for our patience over the years, and some of you can't wait out the final less than half of a year? That's truly sad.

Very cool to see a GnR show as it happens. Makes my broadband subscription worthwhile.

Unfortunately the mix was so shitty it's hard to really judge the show. (Bumblefoot's guitar seemed to be turned off). The band did look and sound fantastic. Axl seemed to be in a great mood. I was moved when he said "Thanks for putting up with me." They should show more of the band instead of just focusing on Axl.

My gut reaction to the show is that the set list copied 2001 Rock In Rio too closely, there were too many solo spots, not enough surprises (aka "previously unheard new songs"), too much dead time (jazz jams, "I Feel Good," "Beautiful") that could be replaced by actual songs and too many keyboards & effects. But then I remembered...

It's Axl's band! It's not the Guns N Roses that we knew from 1987-1993. That doesn't exist anymore. And tonight's show reflects Axl's musical sensibilities, personality and decision making. That's why he's so ecstatic. He's in complete control! No more Slash & Duff getting drunk & high. No more Izzy standing still on stage. No more Matt Sorum or Steven Adler to battle with. The seven other musicians onstage now are just an extension of Axl Rose.

For most people Guns N Roses by definition means a kick ass, dangerous, sex crazed, drug addicted rock n roll band. That's never been Axl's modus operandi. He likes ballads, healthy living, sobriety, monogamy and doing covers of Rod Stewart & Todd Rundgren songs. That's just his tastes. And there's nothing wrong with that but people don't come to a Guns N Roses song to hear jazz improvisation, 2 keyboardists, piano solos, power ballads, James Brown/Christina Aguilera homages & 4 experimental guitar solos

Axl should just call this what it is, an Axl Rose solo project. Either that are finally introduce us to this brand new version of Guns N Roses. Meaning, release a new album and a play a "bunch of new songs." The thing he promised onstage at Rock In Rio five years ago. Why a band that has supposadely recorded enough material for 2-3 new albums has to fill their set with a bunch of solos, jams, cover songs and "GnR's Greatest Hits" is beyond me.

And this thing about not wanting to play a bunch of new stuff before the albums is released is lame.

In 1991 the band toured for several months before UYI came out and played almost nothing but new songs.

The only thing that I can think of is that Buckethead's leaving really stunted the band's growth.

And that we're now starting over like in 2002. Trying to incorporate Bumblefoot into the fold... slowly.

Edited by shotdowninflames

ok....

the show wuz awsome!!!!!

but sweet child o' mine sounded kinda screwed up.....

and alot of the time the guitars were drownding out axl's beutiful voice!!!!

that got me kinda mad....but at least he looked SEXY!!!!

:wub:

(lets see if gnr pick-up lines work)

said baby you been lookin real good and i been thinkin bout thinkin bout sex, sweet child, and i was wondering if you'd be my rocket queen in your sunday dress

please?it's so easy, don't ever leave me, say you'll always be there, all i ever wanted, was for you, to know that i cared

i thought the concert was great axl gave his fans a free concert and had lots of energy. axls mic seemed to faid in and out on some songs i hope this didnt cause him to blow his voice out trying to compensate for the bad mic audio from time to time. the audio got better for the last few songs. thanks for a great show axl!!