Fan Reviews of RIR

Matty Boy

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wanted to let the fans know, that Axl is just as great as ever. After two cancellations back in 2001, I was playing down my emotions during the build up to the 27th, but once I stood there in front of the stage I couldn't help the butterflies. The stage lights were turned off and after an agonising wait where some freaky music was played, they finally came on and there he was!!! Surprisingly in jeans and a waistcoat! His hair still in braids but shorter and not the lean machine he used to be, but hey he is in his forties!! Anyway, he started off a bit subdued but soon enough got going and he was amazing. Running around, jumpin off the stage and performing his trademark moves. His voice was perfect, just like always. The show was composed of fantastic lighting, fire, fireworks and an awesome finish with confetti bearing the colours of the portuguese flag. The played a lot of the classics, Night train, sweet child of mine, welcome to the jungle, mr. brownstone and something I never expected......Rocket Queen and it sounded great. They also played knockin on heaven's door, patience, some new ones and then Axl asked for his piano and played November Rain, at which the crowd went wild and out came the lighters. The show closed with the classic Paradise City, making the crowd go absolutely mental and ending the show on a great high.

The drummer was great and so were the guitarists except Robin Finck who we felt didn't play the guitar solos that well. Dizzy Reed played beautiful piano during his solo. It was really strange but cool to see a rocker with trademark long hair, bare chest and arms full of tattoos playing a beautiful solo on a grand piano. Sorry if I go on forever but it hasn't even been 24 hours and it doesn't sink in. I've been a fan since I was 8 years old back in 1987 and it was a loooooong wait. It couldn't have been more worth it. Axl was great, the show was good and lasted for over 2 hours. If you can make it to a show, please do it, because I promise you it will be worth it.

Before I go, I also wanted to say that after all you hear and read about Axl being angry, moody, manic depressive, aggressive, a prima donna and all that. I don't know if it was returning to touring and the fans, or some good therapy and medication or whatever, Axl was funny, talking to the crowd loads, joking around with the band members, electric on stage and really grateful that the fans had come together. All in all, my faith has been restored in Axl, he has taken far too long to get his act together, but he's done a f*****g good job!!!!!!

Would it be possible for people when they do the reviews to mention if they were at the concert? I was there, and I couldn't be happier with the concert, best concert I ever seen in my life, I think most of you should read what people that were actually there are saying. I saw a small part of the concert today on the portuguese tv network that broadcasted the concert, and the sound was really absolutely pure garbage, nothing like what I lived last night, so I think It would be usefull for people to say if they were there or just watched a transmission with sound coming out of someones ass.

there's no need to be like that. I enjoyed the show in its entirety, was just giving my opinion and don't need to be told what to do by you.

Sounds like the Finck hype is gone..I like his new look and just think that his solos are ok..if you want to listen perfect solos,go listen your cds.

there's no need to be like that. I enjoyed the show in its entirety, was just giving my opinion and don't need to be told what to do by you.

Sounds like the Finck hype is gone..I like his new look and just think that his solos are ok..if you want to listen perfect solos,go listen your cds.

It was not directly for you,but for some bashers here

Just another newbie in the pool... But I was there and I have a lot to say!

The show just rocked'on really hard! I've been waiting for this in a long time and I was overwelmed with what Axl (I must agree it's not GN'R but Axl) put up for us!!! rock4

The live sound was great (some minor faults) and in my humble opinion, the show was for early years fans. Lots of Appetitte which I believe that can be explained by:

- a lot of nostalgia over this album and thats what everyone wants to hear;

- all the pressure about Steve and Izzy departure of the band;

- trying to burry the past (namely UYI) which reflected in the use of cover songs, UCBM (movie related) and November Rain (Axl has to show his piano skills);

- the album is still a safety network for them and they are sure that they will please as long as they play it (http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=146 - favorite/least favorite songs).

Personal note: if everyone didn't dwell on what has been and focused on what is happening and can be done, I believe that GN'R would be a lot looser and wouldn't have to stick to the routine. I remember an interview I recently saw in yourtube.com from UYI tour in which Axl cleary says with a grind "Sometimes I just wanna bury Appetite". Imagine how he feels after 15 years doing the same!

The show:

Excelent start! That effects intro just gets the heart pumpin' and the blood rushin'... Then "Do you know where the fuck you are?!" that blew everyone! I believe that the bootle of boose (gin?) he had was a link to the past and a way to show he is still a old school bad rocker motherf! He didn't need it, we know! The show continued with a very positive and good energy and lots of old and new Axl moments.

Highlight points:

Axl threw a lot of memorablia to the crowd (and he could have thrown some bottles of water too, specially for the first rows). He also went to the crowd on the left os the stage for them to get a closer look and at the second visit he even thouched a few of them (even though with caution because he had his share of riots!).

Pyro was very good and was placed in the righ order and at the right places (there was even fireworks at the top of the stage). My congratulations to those responsible for this. November Rain was awsome!

Good vibe during the show and an excelent backstage team. My regards to all of you involved. GN'R usually starts at least an hour over the established time but you managed to set things really quickly.

Axl: "Thanks for putting up with all of us. Thanks for putting us with me!" You might not mean it but it sure feels nice to hear it!

The Blues, YCBM, NR, WTTJ, Rocket Queen and Out ta Get me were the best ones for me. You definetly still rock!!!!

Finck had some moments with the public repeating Axl's public encounter but much more drastically trying to climb the protections. Later on he did the usual Axl's tour near the crowd between the stage and the sound tower.

Downs:

Axl was constanty going to the backstage. Was he reaching for oxygen? I know is not that young and even on the UYI tour he sometimes got it but it was too often!

Too much breaks and solos. One Slash's old style solos and another Bumblefoot's one would be enough.

Finck is strange and I don't like a bit his style and his way to walk or whatever he does! I do like this new band and I'm supportive to all that they do, but Slash, Matt, Duff and Izzy were great too! I would replace some of the current members by the old ones in the previous order.

Rock in Fu#%in' Rio could have provided us the chance to see Guns a bit longer! Fu#% the subway! I could have walked a bit more or catch a bus! Carl Cox's show lasted until 4 a.m. so why couldn't GN'R play a little longer? He would have a smaller crowd? Too bad! Bitch%n' organization! Get in the ring motherf%&ers and we'll kick your bitc#y little ass!!!

Paradise came too early and badly prepared. Axl seemed saturated of the songs they've played and the comments he made saying that this is a commercial show (I believe that "hit after hit" and four your pleasure of listening" were the expressions) weren't appropriate. He was in a good mood and this can result of the humour. In this case I take back what I've said but it didn't felt nice.

Last note: (Finally!) IT ROCKED AND ROCKED HARD!!! I WAITED A LONG TIME FOR THIS AND I MUST HAVE CHINESE DEMOCRACY (or republic like someone said)!

Axl: If you ever pass by Portugal again feel free to contact me and I can make sure that you spend a good time here with us and that you get to know our beautiful country.

Peace Gunners!

Edited by Shakoo

Well, I must say that I had the chance to see them in RIR, and I did. I'm a fan of GnR since I was 15, and I'm 32 this days, so, as you can all imagine, I was dying for this show. My only word for that, even if some of you don't agree, it's GREAT! There's no point in condemm them for playing oldies, afterall the GnR that we all been expecting were the Rocket Queen, November Rain, etc, GnR. Of course they could have played some themes I love, like One in a milion, Crazy, and so on, but the ones they did play, dispite some minors problems, were contagious, energic, genuine. I noticed (everyone) that Axl don't have the breath of the old days, but I also think that it's a matter of practice in job, so the next live shows will be even better and better, and I'm only sorry that I will not be able to see the last european show.

Some great reviews!

Certainly nice touch to see people being honest and saying they were not big New GNR band fans but the concert blew them away. Streaming clearly was an issue, but still, Axl was on fantastic form and in my opinion the best RIR performance by Guns N' Roses(by a mile!!), memorable? no, we have 1991 to thank for that, but your are kidding yourself if you think Axl and this band can't play great live music!

Can they play there 'own' set? that remains to be seen, however I suspect the answer maybe a resounding YES!

On a disaapointing/frustrating note - Jesus, some of you need to fucking relax, I was ready to kill myself on Saturday night with some of your blatent over-reactions: "Shit, Axl's late......the tour has finished......Axl's voice had gone" for FUCK sake :rolleyes: **memo to self, next live stream subsy, sit back, relax, grab a beer and dont read the online thread**

That said, thanks to "ron mexico82" and "jack99" for keeping me up to speed late Saturday....

UK SUBS.

Perfectly put indeed :shades:

yes i was there in the Bela Vista Park and like you say the sound was great and Axl's voice was just like always. Like I said, no one should hesitate to go because it is a fantastic show.

Would it be possible for people when they do the reviews to mention if they were at the concert? I was there, and I couldn't be happier with the concert, best concert I ever seen in my life, I think most of you should read what people that were actually there are saying. I saw a small part of the concert today on the portuguese tv network that broadcasted the concert, and the sound was really absolutely pure garbage, nothing like what I lived last night, so I think It would be usefull for people to say if they were there or just watched a transmission with sound coming out of someones ass.

Finck is strange and I don't like a bit his style and his way to walk or whatever he does!

Am I the only one who loves it when he does that?

:wub:

Probably! :P

But its definetely a new way to be on stage: the Goofy Rocker! :lol:

my wild guess is that south american european audiences arent as clued in to new guns. They still snorting lines off AFD. In many ways new guns is New York Guns it's not classic LA GNR anymore. There is a sophistication which does do well in a big beer swilling stadium. London will be a big test for new GNR. Can they do Wembley 91?! The british audiences are tough but they respect quality. No duets with Robbie N Williams and it will be fine.