Sweet Child O' mine solo

fishyguy

That solo is one of Slash's most famous solos and Robin dosent even try to play it.

Robin just dosent have the chops to pull it off so why not give it to Ron Thal? He seems to be doing all the tough solos except this one.

I really wanna hear that played accurately live.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That solo is one of Slash's most famous solos and Robin dosent even try to play it.

Robin just dosent have the chops to pull it off so why not give it to Ron Thal? He seems to be doing all the tough solos except this one.

I really wanna hear that played accurately live.

Robin plays that solo perfect. You couldn't even hear it in the mix unfortunately during the rio show.

you know jimmy page's solo in the song heart breaker? it was great but he missed so many notes it wasnt even funny, it could have been an amazing solo but th missed notes sort of ruined it

that was exactly what finck did tonight on every solo, but he almost did it on purpose, he muted notes that shouldnt be and he sounded like shit. it mighta been a coupla great solos but he fucked it up so bad

other than that it was a great show tho

And to think, there are people on this very forum who would entertain the suggestion that he's better than Slash or Buckethead :rolleyes:

Slash plays with soul. He may not be the best technical player ever but he plays with passion. That's not something you can learn or be taught - it's something you feel.

Buckethead - as much as I don't like him - is a great technical player. He can shred. He doesn't play with passion, though.

Robin Finck does neither. He has no passion and no skill IMO. I'm not claiming to be a great guitar player but I hate the way he plays and at times he sounds like a very amateur guitar player trying to learn a new song. He's just very average in my opinion and his style is lame. I also hate those stupid faces he makes when he plays - there's a difference between getting into a song (Hendrix a prime example, and Slash) and seemingly orgasming to a song (Finck). I mean, he looks like he's blowing his load every time he hits a note. Not very easy to watch.

He was very hit or miss....I find his solos very "choppy" like they cut off and then begin again....its not my thing...

Fortus and Bumble were great, bumble owned nightrain....

Any guitar afficionados want to rate Finck's playing tonight? what's the deal? Was he just off tonight or was it sound problems?

i thought he was alright tonight, and i'm a fan of him. Wayy better than his 2002 chops. His NR solo muted a tad but he covered up for it. that was really the only bad thing w/ him for the night was his NR solo and it was one off muted note. its particular to taste. if people hate him their gonna say he sucked no matter what. i found his playing was pretty good.... if you can tell THROUGH THE SHITY SOUND MIXING!! :monkey:

And to think, there are people on this very forum who would entertain the suggestion that he's better than Slash or Buckethead :rolleyes:

Slash plays with soul. He may not be the best technical player ever but he plays with passion. That's not something you can learn or be taught - it's something you feel.

Buckethead - as much as I don't like him - is a great technical player. He can shred. He doesn't play with passion, though.

Robin Finck does neither. He has no passion and no skill IMO. I'm not claiming to be a great guitar player but I hate the way he plays and at times he sounds like a very amateur guitar player trying to learn a new song. He's just very average in my opinion and his style is lame. I also hate those stupid faces he makes when he plays - there's a difference between getting into a song (Hendrix a prime example, and Slash) and seemingly orgasming to a song (Finck). I mean, he looks like he's blowing his load every time he hits a note. Not very easy to watch.

or to listen

to me emotion is more important than anything, given finck has improven on technical talent (even tho he didnt show tonight) he still doesnt have the passion

and he aint great at writing shit either, i mean, everything he did in NIN was written by trent, trent is NIN

He was very hit or miss....I find his solos very "choppy" like they cut off and then begin again....its not my thing...

Fortus and Bumble were great, bumble owned nightrain....

Any guitar afficionados want to rate Finck's playing tonight? what's the deal? Was he just off tonight or was it sound problems?

yeah i'll give it a go. the problem with finck tonight was that you could actually hear him very well (after RQ, of course) whereas the shitty bootlegs leave room for the imagination. this is how he always sounds.

it's like i always say though. it doesn't seem to matter how good you are, only how cool you are. (ron still wins)

well

first of all, the shit recording muted his best solos(i listened hard to scom, and it was dead on)

and november rain, it started out ok with a little feeling, but as it went on it got better, and i'd say it was pretty dead on while axl was singing

his regular solos were great with those exceptions

and the blues made up for everything....love that solo

i actually don't know what finck played for solos as solos, but most of his solos in songs were spot on great if you can really get into it and hear his solos

basically finck delivered what was expected, nothing more, nothing less, fortus aimed at crowd pleasing, thal was aimed at showiing he was the shredder, the hard rock bullet of the guns......but he was more of a .45 shot than the .47 cratered rounds that bucket is

Edited by Bucketslash

Shut up about Finck! He's in the band because he obviously brings some talents. So what if he doesn't play the NR solo perfectly. Suck it up. He played flawlessly in NYC.

aww, i know its hard having ur husband so far away mrs. finck, but dont worry, you can suck my dick instead

I also hate those stupid faces he makes when he plays - there's a difference between getting into a song (Hendrix a prime example, and Slash) and seemingly orgasming to a song (Finck). I mean, he looks like he's blowing his load every time he hits a note. Not very easy to watch.

hahah I noticed that, he looked like he was getting off in his solos, it was a bit off putting...

I thought one of the highlights of the show was Bumble's wonderful rendition of Don't Cry...and the crowd singing along...very moving....I still don't get why Axl won't play this song live (Shannon hoon's death?)...if any song is a fan favorite it's that song....

Ha ha. I thought he actually looked like someone from the 70's, with the long hair and beard. A guitarist in The Eagles, or Boston, or something.

Anyways, I also though he was hit and miss. The worst ones that stuck out to me were NR (I really wanted him to nail it), and the solo in PC where Axl sings "So far away". What he did best tonight was the Patience solo. It was great. And the solos in Better and The Blues sounded perfect too.

I don't know...Finck is an enigma for me. He can sound so bad at times, but I love the solos he has come up with in the new songs. I don't care if they are technically speaking difficult to play or anything like that. I find them very melodic and in the same vain as something Slash would play, and that's the kind of solo I enjoy.

Edited by KBear

I also hate those stupid faces he makes when he plays - there's a difference between getting into a song (Hendrix a prime example, and Slash) and seemingly orgasming to a song (Finck). I mean, he looks like he's blowing his load every time he hits a note. Not very easy to watch.

hahah I noticed that, he looked like he was getting off in his solos, it was a bit off putting...

I thought one of the highlights of the show was Bumble's wonderful rendition of Don't Cry...and the crowd singing along...very moving....I still don't get why Axl won't play this song live (Shannon hoon's death?)...if any song is a fan favorite it's that song....

Yeah, Axl is screwing up a lot of gold opportunities if you ask me. RIR5 was the perfect way to unleash something new - but all we got was the RIR3 setlist with two new songs (Better & IRS), no mention of CD, no real mention of ANYTHING that's been going on lately...he didn't talk to the audience much at all...

NYC was another prime chance and he played a lot of 2002 setlists with a few new songs as well.

I just don't get it...you'd think he'd change the setlist, at least offer something FRESH to people, to avoid another 2002 scenario. Put in some new songs nobody's heard at RIR, plug Chinese Democracy, play some old UYI era songs, etc.

Whatever.

Finck can bring the goods. He sounded off at certain moments, but good, nonetheless.

You know, it's amazing. A few weeks ago after the NYC gigs, Finck ran away with about 50% of the votes in the favourite new member poll and now people are talking shit about him again. Even the most cynical critics were moved by Finck's performance in those shows and that proves something.

Also, keep in mind that this is the dude who made "Better" possible. I think he is awesome. His style, his emotion, his presence, and his uniqueness. Finck is vital to this band and those of you who pass judgment on him clearly fail to grasp his true importance. He's not Slash, he's not a Buckethead virtuoso, he's Robin fucking Finck, I love the guy, and he's here to stay.

Finck can bring the goods. He sounded off at certain moments, but good, nonetheless.

You know, it's amazing. A few weeks ago after the NYC gigs, Finck ran away with about 50% of the votes in the favourite new member poll and now people are talking shit about him again. Even the most cynical critics were moved by Finck's performance in those shows and that proves something.

Also, keep in mind that this is the dude who made "Better" possible. I think he is awesome. His style, his emotion, his presence, and his uniqueness. Finck is vital to this band and those of you who pass judgment on him clearly fail to grasp his true importance. He's not Slash, he's not a Buckethead virtuoso, he's Robin fucking Finck, I love the guy, and he's here to stay.

Ron Fucking Thal...did you hear his rendition of don't cry? That 20 second guitar solo of his was more moving than anything finck did tonight. Im saying that with utmost sincerity. Thal was off the hook....him and fortus stole the show imho. Those two made me forget Finck.

Edited by SylvesterStallone