How does Bumble compare to Buckethead and Slash?

SylvesterStallone

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lets flip this conversation around some, what if all these guys attempted to play a buckethead song with 3 weeks to learn? well, we know buckethead would obviously do it the best, bumblefoot would give him a run for his money, and slash would be struggling.

now let's do it with a bumblefoot song (remember, 3 weeks!) bumblefoot would do it the best, buckethead would do a great job, and slash would be struggling again.

obviously whoever wrote the song is going to do the best, as they've known the song since it was written (not always true with everyone, but certainly for guitarist of this caliber).

so the discussion becomes who can write the best song, well....

vr sucks, so lets count that out, but slash era gnr? what did slash really write that stood out? pretty much the only things off AFD he wrote were jungle, scom and out ta get me. and most of the faster, mediocre songs on UYI 1, that's really it. (duff wrote nighttrain). as for solos, they stay in 1 pentatonic position most of the time with simple 1/8 and 1/16 notes, you'll rarely find even triplets.

i wouldn't touch buckethead's solo stuff with a 10 ft. pole, save for "big sur moon". solos are random notes, he lets the tricks he uses (8 finger tapping, rakes) predetermine the end result (for maximum robot-like sound!)

as for ron? well... normal (favorite song ever), turn around, delilah, pardo don pimpwagon, guitars suck, pretty ugly, t-jonez, flies in the batter, overloaded, ronalds comin back now.... i could keep going. anyway IMO these songs (at least guitarwise, but usually singing too) are the best ones i've listed. if he had the luxary of axl singing these songs, they would blow even afd out of the water. solos? (the ones he's known for over 3 weeks) phenominal, arpeggios, legatos, sweeps, 8 finger tapping, whammy bar stunts, piano tapping galore, not to mention notes that make sense at blinding speeds.

winner? bumble>slash>bucket

you want a new favorite guitarist of all time? go listen to the song "normal" by ron thal, PM me.

edit- matty boy, i was at that pittsburgh concert, bucket totally stole the show, you'd be proud.

Edited by quadlaser

Ron is just warming up. Let's see what people say in a month or two.

When he won't be in the band anymore?

:)

I've been reading he won't stand long was it false?

where the fuck did you read that? don't start spreading shit like that without a legit source.

Ron is here to stay.

Ron is just warming up. Let's see what people say in a month or two.

When he won't be in the band anymore?

:)

I've been reading he won't stand long was it false?

where the fuck did you read that? don't start spreading shit like that without a legit source.

Ron is here to stay.

Precisely I read it in this forum.........

vr sucks, so lets count that out, but slash era gnr? what did slash really write that stood out? pretty much the only things off AFD he wrote were jungle, scom and out ta get me. and most of the faster, mediocre songs on UYI 1, that's really it. (duff wrote nighttrain). as for solos, they stay in 1 pentatonic position most of the time with simple 1/8 and 1/16 notes, you'll rarely find even triplets.

With GN'R it's hard to know who wrote exactly what. But some of the stuff Slash is credited with on UYI 1 is Coma, Don't Damn Me, Bad Apples, and Dust N' Bones. I'd consider all of those good to great songs. He's credited with other stuff on that disc that I'd lump into your category of faster, mediocre songs. I guess this all comes down to personal taste.

As for your comment on solos, I don't have any idea what that means. :D But I do know that what makes Slash special is his ability to craft beautiful melodies. Not necessarily how difficult it is to play his solos. Lots of people can play them...I have a buddy who learned a few of them pretty quick and he's not a great guitarist by any stretch. But not many can write like them like he can. That's what it's always going to come down to with Slash...that and the fact that he's a great showman who oozes sleazy rock n' roll and coolness more than Bucket or Thal ever will.

Damnit I need to learn how to play the guitar....is it too late to start...I'm 22.... :P

Heh, I've got a few years on you Sly. But I'm going to start learning this week. I don't want to pay for lessons so I'm going to teach myself. I bought a computer program, which I figure should be a good way to learn since it'll be interactive and will have videos which will clearly show you the things you need to do. Hopefully.

don't damn me and bad apples have great riffs, but axl's voice (especially for coma) is what made the songs.

as far as people writing (not playing) solos like slash, anyone who's been playing guitar for a couple years (practicing HARD) can do it if they follow the rules: pentatonic based (called the blues box, it's certain notes that you're allowed to play), lots of bends and maybe a big run up the guitar. if you follow that formula and are playing with a les paul and marshall, you WILL sound amazing.

the more i listen to bumblefoot, vai, satch, petrucci and the like, the more i realize the saving grace of gnr is axl's voice, because if you put gnr instrumentals up against the guys i just mentioned- slash would be crushed every time, and not just in terms of speed.

he does look cool though! (i also love how ron hears that hat too.)

edit- some advice for you guys if you're gonna play guitar - you CAN kick major ass (and i mean 60% of slash's solos) in about 1 year if you practice enough (A LOT). i've seen it done.

Edited by quadlaser

Guest Matt13

Like Bucketslash said, he seems to have the technical chops of Buckethead and the soul of Slash....a happy medium for fans of both camps....

Technically, he's proven that he can handle the material. However, as a lead guitarist, he lacks the commanding presence that both Slash and Buckethead brought to the stage.

BH? The circus act?

:rofl-lol:

Real 'commanding'...

:rofl-lol:

How does Bumble compare to Buckethead and Slash?

He dosn't Slash is slash, bucket is bucket and bumble is bumble, as odd as it sounds we should not judge one over the other, will you eat your words when bumble sits down with Axl and maybe writes some music that takes this forum by storm, i think not, don't compare them it isnt fair, he is low milage with gnr and we have not seen what he can do, if he turns out not to be right axl will fire him. On the other hand he may settle in and produce some astounding stuff, which i suspect he will. :P

the more i listen to bumblefoot, vai, satch, petrucci and the like, the more i realize the saving grace of gnr is axl's voice, because if you put gnr instrumentals up against the guys i just mentioned- slash would be crushed every time, and not just in terms of speed.

so would Clapton, so would Page, SRV, Richards, Hendrix, B.B. King, Buddy Guy, Duane Allman, Allen Collins, and the rest of the blues based players...

That doesn't necessarily make for better solos or better listening in general...

Slash is the better musician out of the three, Buckethead has the better technical abuility, and Bumblefoots guitar is a foot with tiger stripes and wings... but hes not bad rock1

Edited by sweetness

In terms of who is the best guitarist, it's Buckethead, but Ron comes close. Slash, last in technical ability.

In the thing called 'emotion' or whatever, yeah, fine, Slash whatever, Bucketlast... :rolleyes:

Ron's finding stage presence, something which Slash had and owned, and something which Bucket really didn't go out of his way to do.

All in all, great guitarists, all suited to the time era in which they played or play with Gn'R IMHO.

I thought Ron 'The Nuke' Thal was absolutely brilliant last night. He was far more into the music and some of his solos were amazing.

His solo where he played Don't Cry was fantastic. A great moment in GNR history. Anyone still wanting Slash should just dig out the 88 show DVD's and watch them, this band isn't the same. Besides, Slash can't play Nightrain anymore, Buckethead stole it from him and wrote him out of the record books now Thal is all over it like a mofo too.

I just can't understand the people who can watch that show and complain about the band members. They were ALL fantastic last night, every one of them.

I agree ... the new band members are amazing ! Bumble is the best guitarrist GNR has ever had ...

Was Buckethead really all that great of a performer on stage. I know he is a fantastic guitarist but I just can't get away from how absolutley ridiculous his stage attire was. Personally, I thought that version of GN'R looked horrific. I loved listening to Buckethead play but I always have to close my eyes...because when there open I just can't stop laughing.

But thats just me. Slash is the perferct lead guitarist in my mind and as of right now will always be the best Guns N' Roses lead guitarist. Everything about him was perfect. He has/had great technical ablity, great songwriting skills, and a whole lot to say(meaning emotion and feel) Emotion is one of the most important things in a rock band...esspecially in the rock bands lead guitarist. Thats why I feel Slash has it all. Slash wipes the floor with the other two in a band like GN'R. Again thats just me...I'm also one of those guys who feels that you can't look at these two bands the same. It just makes me sick to see so many people throwing away Slash like this...

Hope I didn't annoy anyone, that is not my intention.

Edited by CrashNRide

We've seen Bumble put on a great performance in Rio, he's gelling better with the band and worked out his nerves from the hammerstein shows. He basically stole the whole fucking night away with Don't Cry and gave us the best moment in the concert when the crowd sings along, the way he plucked those strings to the Don't Cry chorus moved me a lot.

His outro on Nightrain and November Rain were spectacular and he played good support to the band all night, complementing their playing.

How does he stack up to the skill and emotion of Bucket and Slash? Anyone think he exceeded Bucket's brilliant nightrain outros in 2002? Or out-souled Slash in Don't Cry?

Apologies if this is the wrong area for this thread....

i see bumble as a midway point.....

ya see, i like bucket's shredding on hard rock more than slash's blues

but people bitch about it being "unfeeling"(what the fuck, it's not fuckin blues, it's not time to pussy out and cry for your woman, it's tiome to get some drugs, shoot up and headbang), and so bumble's seem as the ansawer between bucket and slash, not too bluesy but not too fast(so it dosen't alienate the pussies)

i Agree. Bumble is inbetween the two. this trhead should be a poll. :P

TW@

Bucket and Slash both possessed a kind of charisma that Bumble just doesn't have. Slash and Bucket had that Star quality. Bumble is a good guitar player but he's not a star unfortunately.

That's true. But really, no one in this band is, except Axl. And that's probably how he wants it now anyway.

Bucket's Nightrain solo is absolutely amazing. This video sends chills down my spine, check it out(Albany 2002) ---> http://www.newgnr.com/dloads/shortclips/bhntrain.wmv

I like Ron, he's impressed me so far, but doesn't come close to matching Buckethead in my opinion.

The stuff we've heard of Bucket on the new songs is superb, the unique solo on Madagascar, the outro solo on TWAT, I.R.S, etc, all add so much to the songs. Bucket's solo stuff is amazing aswell, so diverse, unique, creative, and just so bloody impressive.

He gets a lot of stick for his appearance, but regardless of that he had loads of presence on stage, something Bumble falls short on aswell. Nothing against Bumble, as I said above he has impressed me, but would just much prefer to have Bucket back.

I reckon the reason Bumble only joined a week or so before the Hammerstein gigs was because Axl was still hoping Bucket would return.

I won't bother comparing either Bucket or Bumble to Slash. Slash is obviously a big part of the reason why we love GnR in the first place. All that I will say is that given the choice, I'd rather Bucket rejoined Guns than have Slash rejoin...Don't shoot me ;)

--

Bucket and Slash both possessed a kind of charisma that Bumble just doesn't have. Slash and Bucket had that Star quality. Bumble is a good guitar player but he's not a star unfortunately.

That's true. But really, no one in this band is, except Axl. And that's probably how he wants it now anyway.

In fact!

Maybe that's what Axl really wants, and if so, well I'm happy he has it now!

Axl has the greatest voice (and fortunately it is back after the 2002 lack) he is an incredible frontman and a talented composer..........

Ron is the most down to earth, friendly, cool guy in the band.

Sure, Slash can never truly be replaced in terms of legacy--but that is the past.

Bucket had "Negative press" and "GNR=Sideshow" written all over him. I think Bumble is the perfect guy for G'N'R and I think Axl found the best man for the job. Besides being an awesome guitar player, he also is cool to the fans, I mean, in his position, he could be a total dick or a total enigma (like Buckethead) but no, he comes and talks to the mans, like any old normal joe, and I think that as the lead guitarist for Guns N Roses, that is the coolest thing to do. Great player, cool guy.

Cut him some slack.