Debate

zakk

I recently got in an agrument with a Peal Jam friend of mine regarding GNR. He said PJ is an underground band who does not seek the attention that GNR does. I pointed out that GNR never played SNL or Letterman like PJ. I also pointed out that GNR never sold every live show they played like PJ. He countered with the fact that GNR is in flux and does not give their fans what they want. Am I jaded in my thinking? I have seen PJ live and they did nothing for me. Axl is 100X th frontman Vedder is. Probably the wrong forum to discuss this; but I am curious what you all think.

First of all, wrong forum.

When the world lacks true rock heros such as Axl, many people cling tight to those they think come close. PJ isn't bad, but they are sort of blah. GNR causes people to have poignant emotions.

That's a blanket statement. I know people - a lot of people - who hate GN'R. It does nothing for them. No "poignant emotions." I also know people who love Pearl Jam and think they're one of the best bands ever - better than GN'R, even.

So, it all depends on who you're talking to. I consider Pearl Jam to be okay - Vedder is bland, repetitive and incoherent - the songs all sound the same - but they have some good tunes.

But to say GN'R is better because people experience different emotions can be said for PJ as well - it just depends on who you talk to.

For what it's worth - your friend is probably saying PJ wasn't mainstream/corporate/etc. because they were a grunge band - but they sold out quicker than Kurt Cobain, and are one of the most commercial bands out there. If he disagrees, ask him to point out the last time they didn't travel in a jumbo jet, ride around in a limo or buy a new multi-million-dollar mansion.

Pearl Jam is about as underground as Britney Spears.

They're awesome, but have become quite old and stale with their last few albums, imo.

But they do treat their fans like royalty, they do put out new material, and they do have the courage to tour with new material. Good on 'em.

When the world lacks true rock heros such as Axl, many people cling tight to those they think come close. PJ isn't bad, but they are sort of blah. GNR causes people to have poignant emotions.

some of u people dont realise how true and good of a band PJ are, sayin they are blah is just stupid but i guess it would be expected from a GNR fan.

Eddie is not bland and repetitive and all songs dont sound the same, thats just a very ignorant thing to say. they have 10 times the songs GNR have so u try and make every one sound different.

PJ is a band, GNR is a Axl's band with is selection of players, thats the only reason why u could say Axl is 100th the frontman eddie is.

ok... i like pearl jam a lot...i think they are the best band since gnr...

so let me try to answer this...

pearl jam does a lotta things for their fans..they give out cd's at the end of each year to their ten club, released 72 live albums...etc. etc.

when they went on letterman they gave an hour of a show afterwards just for their fans and even let letteman keep it on his site...

they have screwed most media and promotional companies respectivelly for a long time now.....

vedder is an amazing singer who has so much emotion and a great voice..to say all his songs are the same is to not hear pearl jam right as none of their songs sounds the same at all...

that being said..

it's hard to compare what they do for their fans cuz axl wasnt around for a long time..it's not cuz he didnt want to be....it's cuz he just wasnt..

now that he is..he just gave us a concert from rio that we could watch on the internet for free at aol music...

he gave forum members a lot of stuff...

he writes great songs......... he's awesome and his songs connect with a lotta people's feelings....

i love the songs of both bands and the bands for different reasons because they are different..VERY different style of music and well frankly..some people just prefer one or the other...

but no matter what..dont try to be ignorant and completely put off one band or the other saying they arent good or they are bland or sound the same or the singer of either sucks..thats just not true

just say they arent ur cup of tea...

rant over...

Well, let me put it like this.

GnR is my favorite band, but Pearl Jam is solid.

Although between the two, I wish Pearl Jam was my favorite band, because they treat their fans so much better than Axl could ever DREAM of.

the fact that axl has been basically underground for over ten years with the exception of 2002 and everyone calling axl a "recluse" in every article we see, i think this is an obvious answer

I think beside the awesome “Ten album”, Pearl Jam is a highly overrated band.

And Eddie Vedder is an ashole who keeps shoving is so called “political correct” opinion as if it’s the only right one out there, in other peoples throats. The guys sings in a fucking rock band what makes him the new world leader?? Just have a coke and a smile and shut the fuck up!

I think beside the awesome “Ten album”, Pearl Jam is a highly overrated band.

And Eddie Vedder is an ashole who keeps shoving is so called “political correct” opinion as if it’s the only right one out there, in other peoples throats. The guys sings in a fucking rock band what makes him the new world leader?? Just have a coke and a smile and shut the fuck up!

shit comment really, couldnt be more far from the truth, he voices a collective opinion that many people share particularly in the music industry, he's not tryin to be the only one who's right, he's using his position as a well known singer to tell things because he knows he's lucky to be in the situation he is in.

yeah well good for him, everybody is entitled to their own opinion just don't spread it like its the only truth out there, and that’s what he does. in a fact i agree on most of what he believes in but thats not the discussion. He spreads his opinion like its better than any other individual has out there, and that’s what i don't like about him. When I go to a rock concert I wanna have a good time and listen to some good music, if I wanna get a political lecturing I’ll watch the six o clock news.

OK, to even compare Pearl Jam with GN´R on these topics is insane cause GN´R has never put so much thought to their fans and to politics like Pearl Jam is doing. I mean who battled ticketmaster for lower concert prices? No other band dared to even step up and helt them out and this almost cost PJ their career. To thi sday ticketmaster still has too much control over prices when it comes to tickets in the states. The fact that they put out bootlegs themselves is so everyone can get good quality bootlegs and they try to put them out as cheap as possible and thats why they´re not selling them trhough record stores like the first time around since the stores sold them at the normal price range for a double album. To keep the price down they also do the sleeves as cheap as possible and even offer fans to buy them in mp3-format. Also PJ now after splitting with major compant Epic/Sony controls exactly how their albums are made, looking into the production line and making sure people working with it have a fare pay and that no funny business is going on. Go to their homepage and read more of what they do plus check out the "activism" part of the page where they try to get people politically involved which is very good in times like these.

And how great didn´t PJ handle the tragic Roskilde incident where they personally contaced families and put a messeage on their webpage where they expressed their thoughts and sadness about the whole thing for about a moth (you couldn´t do anything else on their pahe during that time but read that message). Also the song "Love Boat Captain" came out on the nest album as a tribute to the 9 people that passed away.

So even though I love GN´R with all my heart I have to say they ain´t got shit on Pearl Jam when it comes to these things.

To compare the bands musically is also just a waste of time since that is just subjective thinking and if you like GN´R better or Pearl Jam better who really cares? They´re both good bands and none of them gets worse just because some people dislike them so just deal with it cause I am really tired of people acting like children as soon as someone has a different opinion of how their favourite band sounds. How hard is it to just accept that we all don´t like the same music? We´re all on this Guns N´ Roses forum so why can´t we just drop lame ass discussions like this where people bash bands and even worse eachother.

I give respect to both Pearl Jam and GN´R. Great artists, great music. Still, it´s bands like this that truly keep music alive in these times where we all are wading through commercial shit.

(excuse my english but I am from Sweden)

Edited by Lukinx

GNR vs PJ on a GNR board...I wonder how this will turn out! :rolleyes::sleeper:

yeah well good for him, everybody is entitled to their own opinion just don't spread it like its the only truth out there, and that’s what he does. in a fact i agree on most of what he believes in but thats not the discussion. He spreads his opinion like its better than any other individual has out there

No he doesn't, at least no more than any other passionate, opinionated person does.

GNR vs PJ on a GNR board...I wonder how this will turn out! :rolleyes::sleeper:

yeah well good for him, everybody is entitled to their own opinion just don't spread it like its the only truth out there, and that’s what he does. in a fact i agree on most of what he believes in but thats not the discussion. He spreads his opinion like its better than any other individual has out there

No he doesn't, at least no more than any other passionate, opinionated person does.

Well to my opionion he does cause he is standing on a stage doing his speach without anybody having the change to say something back if they don't agree with him. Not much of a change of debating him.

ha I passed on a ticket to see Pearl Jam last nite,, instead I stayed home to see Guns on AOL ^_^

And although I really only like 2 Pearl Jam albums(Vs. and Vitalogy, perhaps 2 of my all time favorite albums) , You have to give that band credit, they always keep there ticket prices reasonably low(by todays standards compared to other bands) and they never give you a dull set list, every set list is different and they always throw in some rare tracks/ surprises,, and the sets are freakin long, yesterday they played like 30 songs which is about average for them(some rare nites you can catch them playing close to 35, check out this set from 2003, 45 songs! Pearl Jam 2003 Tweeter

But Pearl Jam isnt some super underground band, yes the 50 bux they charge is very reasonable by todays standards, but for alot of kids that is still a bit much, and the band still rakes in well over 6 figures every show they play

Edited by Slashthemutt

5 days! going to see PJ...

honestly, i'd listen to PJ any day over GNR, why? cuz i got bored listening to the same shit with nothing new from gnr...PJ, i have the entire discography plus 10 bootlegs...never get bored with that.

don't ask ohdistortedsmile though...we argue about them all the time :chef:

Well, let me put it like this.

GnR is my favorite band, but Pearl Jam is solid.

Although between the two, I wish Pearl Jam was my favorite band, because they treat their fans so much better than Axl could ever DREAM of.

I think part of the appeal of Guns and Axl is his behavior,, if Axl was nice and caring it wouldnt be guns

We need Axl to do stuff like this:

Fan kicked out

Wheres Slash?

St. Louis

Plus with Pearl you really can expect anything when it comes to the playlists, they change it pretty good from night to night which is just amazing! And that´s why it´s not boring to get your hands on all those bootlegs.

Edited by Lukinx

WIth Pearl Jam you never know what the Set is gonna be, with Guns you never know if

a) Axl will show up

b ) Show up 2 hours late

c ) end the show early

d ) get into a fight with some fan or security

So I guess they each have there own appeal :)

Edited by Slashthemutt

WIth Pearl Jam you never know what the Set is gonna be, with Guns you never know if

a) Axl will show up

b ) Show up 2 hours late

c ) end the show early

d ) get into a fight with some fan or security

So I guess they each have there own appeal :)

Hehe well said :P

GnR (80's and 90's version) > Pearl Jam > GnR (current version)

This will possibly change after the release of Chinese Democracy, but Pearl Jam is a pretty accomplished band + I admire the way they treat their fans. It isn't anything to be ashamed of being listed behind them.

Edited by Slashahaulic

OK, to even compare Pearl Jam with GN´R on these topics is insane cause GN´R has never put so much thought to their fans and to politics like Pearl Jam is doing. I mean who battled ticketmaster for lower concert prices? No other band dared to even step up and helt them out and this almost cost PJ their career. To thi sday ticketmaster still has too much control over prices when it comes to tickets in the states. The fact that they put out bootlegs themselves is so everyone can get good quality bootlegs and they try to put them out as cheap as possible and thats why they´re not selling them trhough record stores like the first time around since the stores sold them at the normal price range for a double album. To keep the price down they also do the sleeves as cheap as possible and even offer fans to buy them in mp3-format. Also PJ now after splitting with major compant Epic/Sony controls exactly how their albums are made, looking into the production line and making sure people working with it have a fare pay and that no funny business is going on. Go to their homepage and read more of what they do plus check out the "activism" part of the page where they try to get people politically involved which is very good in times like these.

And how great didn´t PJ handle the tragic Roskilde incident where they personally contaced families and put a messeage on their webpage where they expressed their thoughts and sadness about the whole thing for about a moth (you couldn´t do anything else on their pahe during that time but read that message). Also the song "Love Boat Captain" came out on the nest album as a tribute to the 9 people that passed away.

So even though I love GN´R with all my heart I have to say they ain´t got shit on Pearl Jam when it comes to these things.

To compare the bands musically is also just a waste of time since that is just subjective thinking and if you like GN´R better or Pearl Jam better who really cares? They´re both good bands and none of them gets worse just because some people dislike them so just deal with it cause I am really tired of people acting like children as soon as someone has a different opinion of how their favourite band sounds. How hard is it to just accept that we all don´t like the same music? We´re all on this Guns N´ Roses forum so why can´t we just drop lame ass discussions like this where people bash bands and even worse eachother.

I give respect to both Pearl Jam and GN´R. Great artists, great music. Still, it´s bands like this that truly keep music alive in these times where we all are wading through commercial shit.

(excuse my english but I am from Sweden)

great post... you basically agreed with me.... but put it in a much better fashion..... rock3