Axl - at the top of his game at RIR?

madison

I have to say I thought Axl really looked and sounded like he was at the top of his game during the RIR show. I can't ever remember seeing him sing with such confidence, vocal consistency, and well-timed stage moves as he did tonight. This was definitely a different Axl from the one we saw in 2002.

His voice remained solid from start to finish - His voice didn't go into "helium" mode - which seems to happen when he gets tired or stressed - at all this evening! It was solid. *I know many people have complained about the sound of the streamed show -- but folks that's the AOL feed/mix -- NOT the way the show sounded in Lisbon.*

I thought Axl was energetic - but carefully chose his moments to run from one end of the stage to the other so that it didn't affect his vocals. (This was a far cry from RIR four years ago - when he just randomly ran around the stage through the whole show, knocking over cameramen and bumping into other bandmembers, and generally tiring his voice out). He's learned that he can be energetic and charismatic without running around during the entire show. I find the "new" Axl plays "with" his bandmates more than the old Axl: There's a chemistry there that wasn't there four years ago.

He's also clearly listened to what fans have been saying and complaining about - everything from his clothes (I counted at least three different changes of clothes - which I'm guessing is to address the whiners who started multiple threads asking if Axl owned any other clothes. :rolleyes: ) - to the comment, where he imitated fans who were complaining that he wasn't doing any rants. Pretty funny.

Did anyone else find that he seemed genuinely - dare I say - happy out there? His moves were animated and concise, his voice solid, and nothing seemed to upset him. There was almost a cerebral calmness in his eyes, which I don't ever remember seeing before - not even at the Hammerstein shows. Awesome.

Sorry for the long rant ...

Your thoughts? Do you see a "new" Axl? One who's in top form?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He is in good form, certainly a cut above the 2002 shows and RIR 3. Vocally hammerstein atleast from the boots I heard were "better" than today. Guess his voice is a little stressed.

He does seem happier and shows more comraderie with the band. There is a good theory for that which another poster pointed out in the lisbon review thread:

Very cool to see a GnR show as it happens. Makes my broadband subscription worthwhile.

Unfortunately the mix was so shitty it's hard to really judge the show. (Bumblefoot's guitar seemed to be turned off). The band did look and sound fantastic. Axl seemed to be in a great mood. I was moved when he said "Thanks for putting up with me." They should show more of the band instead of just focusing on Axl.

My gut reaction to the show is that the set list copied 2001 Rock In Rio too closely, there were too many solo spots, not enough surprises (aka "previously unheard new songs"), too much dead time (jazz jams, "I Feel Good," "Beautiful") that could be replaced by actual songs and too many keyboards & effects. But then I remembered...

It's Axl's band! It's not the Guns N Roses that we knew from 1987-1993. That doesn't exist anymore. And tonight's show reflects Axl's musical sensibilities, personality and decision making. That's why he's so ecstatic. He's in complete control! No more Slash & Duff getting drunk & high. No more Izzy standing still on stage. No more Matt Sorum or Steven Adler to battle with. The seven other musicians onstage now are just an extension of Axl Rose.

For most people Guns N Roses by definition means a kick ass, dangerous, sex crazed, drug addicted rock n roll band. That's never been Axl's modus operandi. He likes ballads, healthy living, sobriety, monogamy and doing covers of Rod Stewart & Todd Rundgren songs. That's just his tastes. And there's nothing wrong with that but people don't come to a Guns N Roses song to hear jazz improvisation, 2 keyboardists, piano solos, power ballads, James Brown/Christina Aguilera homages & 4 experimental guitar solos

Axl should just call this what it is, an Axl Rose solo project. Either that are finally introduce us to this brand new version of Guns N Roses. Meaning, release a new album and a play a "bunch of new songs." The thing he promised onstage at Rock In Rio five years ago. Why a band that has supposadely recorded enough material for 2-3 new albums has to fill their set with a bunch of solos, jams, cover songs and "GnR's Greatest Hits" is beyond me.

And this thing about not wanting to play a bunch of new stuff before the albums is released is lame.

In 1991 the band toured for several months before UYI came out and played almost nothing but new songs.

The only thing that I can think of is that Buckethead's leaving really stunted the band's growth.

And that we're now starting over like in 2002. Trying to incorporate Bumblefoot into the fold... slowly.

I really do agree with you on most of your points except the Hammerstein. I was front row and he ran over to my side of the stage and at one point I got a really good look at his eyes. He seemed happy, ive never seen that. Aside from the bullshit AOL mix that had the guitars way too loud most of the time the show was awesome.

Some songs really impressed me. Out Ta get Me was awesome. I love the new rendition. It's such an acidic song and the guitars have a real edge to em now. In the begining where you hear the "string drag" for the lack of the proper term, it sounds like a fucking chainsaw which rocks.

Edited by Ashlar

I didn't see the rio show, but it's great to finially hear a positive review. It's cool to hear that his performance was great despite audio problems. I heard some audio and I thought he sounded fantastic vocally and sthe guitars had a great bite to them, the problem was technical, that was clear.

He and the band are light years from 2002 in everyway.

Edited by Nightcrawler

I agree with most of what was said in the beginning of this thread. Axl, like I said in another post, sounded better in this concert than in any show with the new band. That being said, there were times where his helium voice was present (not many times) and he sounded like he did in 2002. But the major difference was that he was definitely trying to sound like that (even though most of us, myself included, do not like that voice) because he switched to the rasp very easily in many parts of the songs. The best example of this was in KOHD on one of the last screams where he actually began the scream in helium mode and switched to one of the raspiest howls you'll ever hear. And even his high-pitched voice seemed to have something more to it during this show. He seemed in complete vocal control. Also, I thought he sounded EXACTLY like he used to during the first two verses of Brownstone, and his sleevless look in the early going was really cool and reminded me of the old Axl. Good to see him rocking with sunglasses, tattoos, and great vocals. I was very impressed with everyone in the band tonight with the exception of Finck.

I have to say I thought Axl really looked and sounded like he was at the top of his game during the RIR show. I can't ever remember seeing him sing with such confidence, vocal consistency, and well-timed stage moves as he did tonight. This was definitely a different Axl from the one we saw in 2002.

His voice remained solid from start to finish - His voice didn't go into "helium" mode - which seems to happen when he gets tired or stressed - at all this evening! It was solid. *I know many people have complained about the sound of the streamed show -- but folks that's the AOL feed/mix -- NOT the way the show sounded in Lisbon.*

I thought Axl was energetic - but carefully chose his moments to run from one end of the stage to the other so that it didn't affect his vocals. (This was a far cry from RIR four years ago - when he just randomly ran around the stage through the whole show, knocking over cameramen and bumping into other bandmembers, and generally tiring his voice out). He's learned that he can be energetic and charismatic without running around during the entire show. I find the "new" Axl plays "with" his bandmates more than the old Axl: There's a chemistry there that wasn't there four years ago.

He's also clearly listened to what fans have been saying and complaining about - everything from his clothes (I counted at least three different changes of clothes - which I'm guessing is to address the whiners who started multiple threads asking if Axl owned any other clothes. :rolleyes: ) - to the comment, where he imitated fans who were complaining that he wasn't doing any rants. Pretty funny.

Did anyone else find that he seemed genuinely - dare I say - happy out there? His moves were animated and concise, his voice solid, and nothing seemed to upset him. There was almost a cerebral calmness in his eyes, which I don't ever remember seeing before - not even at the Hammerstein shows. Awesome.

Sorry for the long rant ...

Your thoughts? Do you see a "new" Axl? One who's in top form?

I thinks its called Lamictal (a mood stabilizer) Axls bipolarity is now under control so he indeed seems happier!!

Yeah, I agree with you saying Axl seems a lot happier these days. He's still pretty intense, but he seems to be enjoying himself on stage. I can't recall another time when he smiled as much as tonight's show! I know what you mean about the look in his eyes. Definitely different now then in the past. Maybe he's conquered some of his old demons. Axl's definitely in top form!

I'm still downloading the audio to put on my mp3 player :) (stupid sound on my computer doesnt work so theres no point in watching the AOL thing, plus my internet is crap, so im still waiting on it, but he looks great! Im diggin the beard thing ;) not sure why everyone's complaining, it looks good on him, along with his new clothes, AXL YOU ROCK, we all know he only reads my posts ;) , anyway Madison great post :krider: , said it before, and I'll say it again 2006-the year Guns N' Roses kicked the worlds ass

madison, you said it well

He did seem happy. He was smiling, joking around, having fun, jumping up and down with bandmembers, headbanging, even almost climbed over the fence that one time

He sounded amazing on NR, patience, YCBM and many other songs...one thing that did make me mad was that the guitars and synth were wayy too loud and overpowered everything most of the evening so axl was sorta quiet compared to the rest....

he sounded amazing, NR was awesome, he looked like a rockstar, he did it again and i think people will be impressed... I loved it...

FOR THE PEOPLE WHO MISSED IT..AOL IS REPLAYING IT AND WILL PROLLY LEAVE IT ON THEIR SITE FOR A WHILE....

aol.music.com...go there..look around..u shall find it.... i will edit with link when i can

Edited by GnR lives on

He did seem to be in good spirits, but he is usually that way most of the time unless he's really pissed off. You never know when his mood is gonna shift so watch out.

His voice is amazing. I like where he is at right now. I think he tried to play it safe in 2002 by not abusing the rasp, but he needs it and I hope he can keep it up for a long tour without putting too much stress on his vocal chords. He has full control over sounding nitty gritty or using his newer style, which is higher pitched and cleaner. I see people have been calling this his helium voice, but I prefer the term 'safe voice' for the sake of not sounding offensive. He has found a nice balance, anyway.

On a final note, I'm glad Axl can take advice from these boards, but I just hope he doesn't let the assholes get under his skin too much.

I watched the aol mix and yes it sucked sometimes but there was moments in it when they got it right and axl's voice was amazing. I also think a lot of the bootlegs that are around for any show not just this one suck because they're recorded on crap equipment like cell phones only picking up the highest tones in his voice making him sound like the "helium man" someone mentioned. Everyone knows axl has a lot of overtones in his voice and very low ones too, which these bootlegs aren't picking up. I can almost garauntee it sounds 100% better live. I'm even more excited about the album now, cause I know axl's voice is just as good as it was, maybe he doesn't sing all out all night anymore but he can turn it on anytime he wants. Probably so he can save his voice, less cancelations?? hope so. Anyway in the studio he can belt out all he wants, so I know it will rock. Good job Axl and all of Guns n' Roses for an amazing show, really impressed with bumblefoot.

thats what i noticed at the NY shows, this is a completly differant show from '02

I was blown away at how differant Axl sounded, nothing like '01/02

and Finck, while he may have no shown it tonight, rocks way harder than before (i think hes been praticing extra hard :):P ) and fortus is still rocking out like before

Ron was a good addition to the lineup, and it takes away that sort of "circus feel" that was there with buckethead

plus bucket scared me a little :scared:

better and IRS is awesome live too (again, even if it didn't show with the piss-poor audio :anger: ) and I have still yet to see TWAT live (why did you only play it at the first NY show :P )

Come september, i think I may have to do the canadian tour with these guys, or i'll at least be at a few shows that are near the boarder

I sure hope Axl and the guys pull the rest of the tour off, we're all pullin for you guys!

ROUND 2?

its a good time to be a fan!

Well ive listened and some of it is good very good and im gonna enjoy myself seeing and hearing them live here in the uk in 11 days, But im a firm believer in "If it ait broke dont fix it" its like getting a 5yr old to paint the mona-lisa and then raving about how it is better than the original, Well it aint and never will be, i dont understand why they would want to bastardise songs that put them where they are in fan base terms, and as for the excuse that the solo's are being played by new guys, here is what i say, "if you cant do it how it was done then STEP OUT!!" if they want to make thair mark then make it on stuff they wrote or co wrote, im not saying i cant listen to the modified solos or leads, but when i buy a packet of crisps i expect to open the packet and find crisps not fkin pretsels....I look forward to hearing these new guys do some stuff that show us who they are but untill then leave the classics alone and play them how they should be played....or quite simply dont play them.... Full Stop... rock2

Edited by Ricardoco

Guest cherry_bomb

i didnt see the whole show, but ive seen about 6 songs, and i totally agree.

i was amazed, i cant believe how good his voice is!! not just that, he seems so at ease. with everything. i watched some RIR from 2002 after, and...seriously, its hard to believe its the same guy.

he finally got his shit together it seems. you can tell he knows this, he's so confident with himself.

as for the band - bumblefoot didnt do much for me from what i saw, but i wasnt there and i didnt see the whole show so i can be proved wrong. fortus was great, if they had got the sound mix right in scom he wouldve shone through! i think the problem with a lot of it just was the sound quality. KOHD and the blues proved that.

but as for axl - incredible. a pleasure to watch, unlike the last RIR which was very awkward and uncomfortable to watch.

I was very impressed by Guns N' Roses performance last night at RIR2006, it was far better than the show in 2001. I thought the AOL mix was for the most part, very balanced. A shame my interent crapped out during KOHD and I missed seeing the rest of the show "live".

While watching the performance, I couldn't help but admit that this is the TRUE return of Axl Rose and Guns N' Roses.

I was very impressed by Guns N' Roses performance last night at RIR2006, it was far better than the show in 2001. I thought the AOL mix was for the most part, very balanced. A shame my interent crapped out during KOHD and I missed seeing the rest of the show "live".

While watching the performance, I couldn't help but admit that this is the TRUE return of Axl Rose and Guns N' Roses.

guess that means you should change your sig :)