Does anyone know the story behind Robin Finck joining GNR

fishyguy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Axl and Matt went to see him with NIN and they both agreed they'd like him in the band.

Axl wanted him as lead and Matt wanted him as rythm.

i never got the full story on this but did Axl steal him from NIN or did Finck leave and Axl swooped in?

I think Axl and Matt went to see him with NIN and they both agreed they'd like him in the band.

Actually.....................Axl and Matt went to see a band called Cirque De Soul (I think this was the name or somthing simmilar to it), and they both liked the guitar player, and like you said Axl wanted him lead and Matt wanted him rhythm...

I also believe that this was before Finck was ever involved in NIN because Trent Reznor was scouting too at that time...

this may not be 100% correct, but its close to it... Also it was Matts idea to have him the band and he just wanted Axls approval. :)

Edited by Charles Manson

I think Robin would be better at rhythm guitar. He is the least technically skilled guitar player in the new band. I see Robin as the Izzy of the new band in the sense that I think Robin and Axl are the driving creative forces behind the new GnR.

I think Robin would be better at rhythm guitar. He is the least technically skilled guitar player in the new band. I see Robin as the Izzy of the new band in the sense that I think Robin and Axl are the driving creative forces behind the new GnR.

i aggree there

i aggree there

Dont Forget Chris F'n Pittman!!!! rock3

Axl was looking for a guitarist. Sorum took him to cirque de solie. It's a circus, not a band(seriously). Finck was playing with the circus's band & Axl said he wanted to join gnr. Sorum said, "you mean to play alongside Slash?". Axl said, "No, to replace Slash." That's the story as best I remember it. One would assume that they already knew who he was going to the circus, so it probably wasn't just a coincidence that a NIN chronie happened to catch Axl's eye out of nowhere.

Robin was playing with Cirque du Soleil after his tour with NIN. Axl and Matt went to see him and were impressed. Axl said, "I want him in the band." Matt replied, "Yea, put him beside Slash." Then Axl replied, "I want him playing lead."

I believe GNR were looking to put another lead guitarist beside Slash at that point because Axl always felt that only 2 guitarists made the live show sound weaker than he wanted. This was about '94-'95. Zakk Wylde was also considered to fill the 2nd lead guitarist position.

Slash quit in '96. Robin replaced him in '97, then went back to NIN in '99 and was replaced by Buckethead. When Robin came back in 2000 Axl had 2 lead guitarists at hand and decided to keep both of them.

Guest roses_are_red

He was just soo cool axl couldnt resist to invite him to the band.

And the fact, that axl wanted him to play lead, means no return for slash. Ok im just guessing. Dont hate me :(

I don't really know what the story is, but I saw Guns 'N' Roses last night in Lisbon and he was the worst guitarist out of the bunch. The rest did a really good job, but he didn't do the songs justice. I guess no one can live up to Slash and I understand that Finck as a guitarist doesn't want to sound like someone else, but I think that when you are playing someone else's songs, you should at least out of respect play them as close to the original as possible, as much as your skill allows. Apart from that, the show was INCREDIBLE. It was worth the 18 year wait! (yes 18!)

Not dissing him or anything but I'm curious.

I don't really know what the story is, but I saw Guns 'N' Roses last night in Lisbon and he was the worst guitarist out of the bunch. The rest did a really good job, but he didn't do the songs justice. I guess no one can live up to Slash and I understand that Finck as a guitarist doesn't want to sound like someone else, but I think that when you are playing someone else's songs, you should at least out of respect play them as close to the original as possible, as much as your skill allows. Apart from that, the show was INCREDIBLE. It was worth the 18 year wait! (yes 18!)

Not dissing him or anything but I'm curious.

Actually.....................Axl and Matt went to see a band called Cirque De Soul (I think this was the name or somthing simmilar to it), and they both liked the guitar player, and like you said Axl wanted him lead and Matt wanted him rhythm...

I also believe that this was before Finck was ever involved in NIN because Trent Reznor was scouting too at that time...

this may not be 100% correct, but its close to it... Also it was Matts idea to have him the band and he just wanted Axls approval. :)

Actually Robin was with NIN for awhile, then he joined Cirque Du Soleil during some NIN offtime, during which Axl recruited him to join GNR, which Robin did for awhile, then he quit GNR to go on tour with NIN while they were touring on The Fragile, after that was over, GNR has recruited Buckethead to join the band, then a little after Robin rejoined GNR, this time permanently.

:rofl-lol: That's why Matt was fired then? :rofl-lol:

Because Axl wants the nu-GNR to be like Nine Inch Nails-lite, so he figured - "Hey, I might as well just get the guitarist from NIN!"

This is funny! :rofl-lol: