regarding these demo leaks

odecom5

some of you are disappointed with these leaks, they are not the quality you would like, blah blah, so on and so forth. (as a side note, whatever, beggars can't be choosers. you're lucky we even got these to begin with).

BUT! to show you that demo's can be VERY VERY different than the studio release of a song, i am offering up a comparison. I have below a demo version of Welcome to the Jungle. now, take this version, and compare it to the real studio version. you will see that they are very different. discuss.

(direct link to mp3. to download, right click, save target as...)

http://www.odegardstudios.com/gnr/gnr_wttj_demo.mp3

so if you have it set in your mind that chinese democracy will suck, prepare to be proven way wrong rock1 rock3

Yeah, a lot of the old demos were vastly different from the final studio versions. When it comes to these ones however, they are much more polished and refined, and overall the quality is excellent. I don't get people who say these demos are shitty quality and the studio versions will be so much better. Sure they'll be better, but for demos these are very good quality. Just compare these to the old band's demos - the difference is night and day. So I don't expect them to differ by as much as the old ones did from their final versions.

Also, look how GN'R perform songs like IRS and Better live. They aren't a stark contrast from the demo versions. If this is how they play the song then this is likely how it will be structured on the studio version. Besides, how could they drastically change Better and make it, well, better? It already kicks ass.

I really dig the demos that we have, and most of the live only tracks like The Blues. I hope the final versions are simply in better audio quality, with some minor changes here and there that make them seem like new songs, rather than songs I have already heard dozens of times. I wouldn't expect something drastically different than what we've heard to date. At least not for songs like Better, Chinese Democracy, TWAT, and The Blues. A song like Rhiad though, who really knows how that's gonna sound?

Yeah, a lot of the old demos were vastly different from the final studio versions. When it comes to these ones however, they are much more polished and refined, and overall the quality is excellent. I don't get people who say these demos are shitty quality and the studio versions will be so much better. Sure they'll be better, but for demos these are very good quality. Just compare these to the old band's demos - the difference is night and day. So I don't expect them to differ by as much as the old ones did from their final versions.

You have to remember that the techonology used now is vastly different than the technology used to record the demos for the UYI albums.

R.

Edited by x_Estranged_x

Also, look how GN'R perform songs like IRS and Better live. They aren't a stark contrast from the demo versions. If this is how they play the song then this is likely how it will be structured on the studio version. Besides, how could they drastically change Better and make it, well, better? It already kicks ass.

I really dig the demos that we have, and most of the live only tracks like The Blues. I hope the final versions are simply in better audio quality, with some minor changes here and there that make them seem like new songs, rather than songs I have already heard dozens of times. I wouldn't expect something drastically different than what we've heard to date. At least not for songs like Better, Chinese Democracy, TWAT, and The Blues. A song like Rhiad though, who really knows how that's gonna sound?

yeah i'm pretty sure that the demos won't be as drastically different this time around, but it still shows people how much different these songs can actually be. i can't wait for the studio version of The Blues!

You have to remember that the techonology used now is vastly different than the technology used to record the demos for the UYI albums.

R.

Which just makes it easier for Axl to record a demo closer to his final vision for the song. It's not like he's going to purposely create something very different from what he wants the song to end up being.

R.

Which just makes it easier for Axl to record a demo closer to his final vision for the song. It's not like he's going to purposely create something very different from what he wants the song to end up being.

yeah i'm pretty sure that the demos won't be as drastically different this time around, but it still shows people how much different these songs can actually be. i can't wait for the studio version of The Blues!

Yes, The Blues will be up there with NR.

some of you are disappointed with these leaks, they are not the quality you would like, blah blah, so on and so forth. (as a side note, whatever, beggars can't be choosers. you're lucky we even got these to begin with).

BUT! to show you that demo's can be VERY VERY different than the studio release of a song, i am offering up a comparison. I have below a demo version of Welcome to the Jungle. now, take this version, and compare it to the real studio version. you will see that they are very different. discuss.

so if you have it set in your mind that chinese democracy will suck, prepare to be proven way wrong rock1 rock3

thats a great way to look at it rember the hollywood rose versions of reckless life and anything goes fuckin garbage

I'm totally confident that the album versions will be pretty different. If not in the song structure so atleast in the sound quality. I've read above in this thread that Kbear says the sound quality is excellent. about that I say: uhm, no. Serously, pretty recent we recorded a demo with my band. three songs in two days, complete with and mastering and everything. The sound quality of those three tracks are way ahead of the leaked Guns tracks.

I have no doubt that CD is very worked on and will probably have a extremely complex and "big" sound, compared to the leaks which sound is weak and fuzzy. And the singing (except maybe from Better) is nowhere near what you can ecspect from from a "real" recording. That is atleast what I belileve.

Edited by evil_l

Maybe i missed a few things here, but i think the demos are just demos, nothing more or less. Just a sketch to get a clear idea how the song will sound. The real work starts later in the studio and i don't think ANY of the material recorded for the demos will be used and all the songs will be recorded again.

That's btw why i am thinking that CD is quite far from a release as nothing or really not much is recorded yet, it is all still in Axls head. That would even fit with the tour dates: i would expect recordings (which take 4-8 weeks) after the european tour followed by the postproduction. So a release in fall seems quite realistic to me. Timing would be perfect as the band should be grown strong over the european concerts.

Just my guess...

Listen to these new leaks.

The quality is awesome. Much clearer than the first demos. Its without buckethead, so i am actually wondering if theyre finished versions.

Either that or it was the one that would have been on the album when it was ready for release in 1999.

But thats finished version quality. They have orchestral arrangements too, but Axl's voice is so clear, its perfect. Its less messy than the start of the first leaks.

The quality is awesome. Much clearer than the first demos. Its without buckethead, so i am actually wondering if theyre finished versions.

Either that or it was the one that would have been on the album when it was ready for release in 1999.

But thats finished version quality. They have orchestral arrangements too, but Axl's voice is so clear, its perfect. Its less messy than the start of the first leaks.

I hope not, the old leaks were SOOO much better...

I hope not, the old leaks were SOOO much better...

Yeah, they have better solo's, but theyre not as clear quality as these new leaks. If they had that quality, they would be pretty much brilliant, as there is barely anything to criticise apart from the quality.

R.

So's the budget!! Back in 86' the band were a club band that didn't have homes. They didn't have the cash to enter a decent studio to do their demos!

Plus, when they did this, they were likely either wasted or hung over from the night before. Current Demos are a very "sober" recordings. Also like someone else mentioned, recording tech is much better today.

I'm totally confident that the album versions will be pretty different. If not in the song structure so atleast in the sound quality. I've read above in this thread that Kbear says the sound quality is excellent. about that I say: uhm, no. Serously, pretty recent we recorded a demo with my band. three songs in two days, complete with and mastering and everything. The sound quality of those three tracks are way ahead of the leaked Guns tracks.

Well I don't actually mean the sound quality is excellent in a general sense. I realize that the sound lacks the clarity and fullness that the studio version will have. It's just that for a demo it is really good quality. Demos don't typically sound this good, at least not the ones I've heard (which is pretty much just old GN'R demos). As such those aren't really a fair basis for comparison, which is what I was pointing out. I still say that the final versions will not be significantly different...the foundations for these songs will not change much IMO from what we hear in the demos. These aren't simply acoustic or piano only versions of songs, like the old NR demos; after which a whole bunch of stuff had to be added. These are songs with keyboards, multiple guitars, effects, and pretty refined vocals.

I'm sure that the studio versions will be clearly superior to these in terms of audio quality, especially when you do a real comparison between the two versions on a nice system. But for actually listening to and enjoying the songs, the demos are surprisingly adequate.

I only listen to these demos on my computer. I haven't tried listening to them on my nice stereo system, because there would really be no point in doing that. It would reveal imperfections in the recordings that my computer simply cannot. I am waiting for the studio versions of these songs to play on that system.

Edited by KBear

thats a great way to look at it rember the hollywood rose versions of reckless life and anything goes fuckin garbage

the demo of welcome to the jugle is not that bad and i have the hollywood rose cd and i love those songs