Too many solos in GNR?

Sjakalen

I watched the show fro Lisboa last night, and i think it was amazing. Good Voice and perfect setlist(ust missed Used to love her).

But i think there were to many solos. Solos are the most boring with GNR. Dizzy had a solo, Brain had a short one, Finchy had one(or two), Fortus had one and Bumblefoot had one.

Solos is not what i want to see at a consert.1 solo is ok , but in my opinion theres too many, and i think they booring too. Not as good as Buckedheads country-solo or slash old solos. Anyway to many solos make the show a little booring.

Anyone agree/disagree?

Sincerely Sjakalen

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please...i beg...i will people just shut the fuck up saying "not as good as slash" WE ALL KNOW but hey guess what...slash left slash is gone,yes he was great,but please stop comparing new solos to his HE AINT GUNS N ROSES NO MORE,this "aint sa good as slash" shit is starting to get really boring.

Please...i beg...i will people just shut the fuck up saying "not as good as slash" WE ALL KNOW but hey guess what...slash left slash is gone,yes he was great,but please stop comparing new solos to his HE AINT GUNS N ROSES NO MORE,this "aint sa good as slash" shit is starting to get really boring.

He hates Slash and wants Tracii Gunns in GnR. Go Figure....

i love slash,but just like if someone you care about dies,u gota get over it...you never forget but some day you just gota move on.

Am I the last person in the world that actually appreciates solos? The "I want Slash to do solos" isnt even there anymore. It's "I dont want solos!!!"

When do bands solo these days in songs? Listen to the radio, 9/10 songs wont have a solo and that 1/10 will be a shitty 10 second solo. People need to appreciate amazing guitar work when they hear it. People say Finck sucks, but who the hell on these boards could do better. Im willing to bet that nobody even comes close to solo-ing like he does even if he isnt as good as the "god" Slash. People in the 70's didnt complain when they heard solos because they actually appreciated them...unlike today. :(

This was ment to be a discussion about solos and not about Slash. I dont hate Slash, but i dont like him. Im not facinated by him at all.

But i think most people in the audience not appreciate 5 solos at one gig. 1 solo for me is perfect, the rest just make me bored. And i think thats the way most audience think.

Edited by Sjakalen

Am I the last person in the world that actually appreciates solos? The "I want Slash to do solos" isnt even there anymore. It's "I dont want solos!!!"

When do bands solo these days in songs? Listen to the radio, 9/10 songs wont have a solo and that 1/10 will be a shitty 10 second solo. People need to appreciate amazing guitar work when they hear it. People say Finck sucks, but who the hell on these boards could do better. Im willing to bet that nobody even comes close to solo-ing like he does even if he isnt as good as the "god" Slash. People in the 70's didnt complain when they heard solos because they actually appreciated them...unlike today. :(

l agree with you some people now days dont really apreciate good music everything now is about technology and the keyword that make music by it itself l guess everuthing has to change.l am glad l had good time and good music in the 90's :)

+ he says to many solos are boring! :lol:

People should go watch Limp Bizket instead! :rolleyes:

I think the lengthy solos serve two purposes: First, they give the new members a chance to have their moment in the sun, which is cool. Second - and most importantly - they give Axl a chance to recover between songs in the set. If you recall in 2002, Axl had to run backstage during and after almost every song to catch his breath and do God knows what else. This time, he didn't do that, and his vocals remained solid from start to finish. Just my opinion.

There's no such thing as too many solos. Or boring solos. And solos don't have to be "let's see who can shred the fastest" contests either. I mean just last night, Dizzy played Ziggy Stardust, Finck and Fortus did their heart filled Beautiful duet, and Bumble played a single riff of Don't Cry and got god knows how many people singing. Solos can have emotion too, not just songs. rock2

I think the lengthy solos serve two purposes: First, they give the new members a chance to have their moment in the sun, which is cool. Second - and most importantly - they give Axl a chance to recover between songs in the set. If you recall in 2002, Axl had to run backstage during and after almost every song to catch his breath and do God knows what else. This time, he didn't do that, and his vocals remained solid from start to finish. Just my opinion.

Yeah,your opinion. But Axl diddnt ran around at this time so he diddnt lost hes breath. I thing the GNR shows will be cooler if they did one solo nand if it was cool.

Yeah,your opinion. But Axl diddnt ran around at this time so he diddnt lost hes breath. I thing the GNR shows will be cooler if they did one solo nand if it was cool.

Guitar solos are an integral part of raw, in-your-face, great rock n roll.

This is one of the awesome things that separates GNR from other "wanna-be" bands out there.

Well i disagree, bcause most people will find it boring. I am rock n roll and i dont like to MANY solos. and thats the diffrens. Piano solo, drum solo, and 3 guitarsolos are just to much.

I agree with this. A piano solo and drum solo? :rolleyes: Like Izzy once said, maybe they should learn cover tunes and do instrumental versions to pass time while Axl catches his breath.

Ron's shred solo and Robin's solo added nothing to the overall concert but slowed the momentum down. Keep the beautiful solo bit (since some people here dig it), keep the Don't Cry bit, and jetisson everything else in favor of instrumental jams to showcase the playing ability of the band.

This many solos is ridiculous and makes the band seem bloated a la UYI era....I mean seriously what's next? A Pittman synth extravaganza with his keytar?

Edited by SylvesterStallone

Boy, would you hate to be back in the day when Bonham and Baker were going non-stop for 12-16 minutes on their drum-kits.

Honestly though, I could hear an argument pushing for doing better solos, but too many solos? It's all about the solos, dude. There were some really good ones last night. It allows the performers to break loose and exhibit their talents. If it wasn't for Fortus' solo last night people wouldn't have known how great he is. People say he got a lot better, but the truth is that he never got the chance to show what he can do before and his solo spot last night opened him up to a legion of fans. The solos were all kept at a reasonable length and were distributed evenly throughout the show.

If you dislike solos that much I can't help but feel disappointed in you and others who don't understand what an old-fashioned rock concert is all about. Feel that shit, dude. FEEL IT!!!

Boy, would you hate to be back in the day when Bonham and Baker were going non-stop for 12-16 minutes on their drum-kits.

Honestly though, I could hear an argument pushing for doing better solos, but too many solos? It's all about the solos, dude. There were some really good ones last night. It allows the performers to break loose and exhibit their talents. If it wasn't for Fortus' solo last night people wouldn't have known how great he is. People say he got a lot better, but the truth is that he never got the chance to show what he can do before and his solo spot last night opened him up to a legion of fans. The solos were all kept at a reasonable length and were distributed evenly throughout the show.

If you dislike solos that much I can't help but feel disappointed in you and others who don't understand what an old-fashioned rock concert is all about. Feel that shit, dude. FEEL IT!!!

People love good solos. The solos of last night, none of them except that "Dont Cry" bit really stood out....and the "beautiful" solo...

Like Izzy said 10 years ago....cover tunes are the way to go not solos....they seem way too indulgent and excessive...I mean a piano solo for a badass hard rock band? Give me a break man...

People love good solos. The solos of last night, none of them except that "Dont Cry" bit really stood out....and the "beautiful" solo...

Like Izzy said 10 years ago....cover tunes are the way to go not solos....they seem way too indulgent and excessive...I mean a piano solo for a badass hard rock band? Give me a break man...

I thought Dizzy's solo was among the best moments of last night. It was really melodic and beautiful. I don't get it when ppl complain about the piano not being "badass." It's nothing new to GNR and hard rock. Does listening to the piano make you feel all emotional and less of a man? I don't get it. Besides, Axl is all about self-indulgence and excess, as is rock n' roll.

Guitar solos are an integral part of raw, in-your-face, great rock n roll.

This is one of the awesome things that separates GNR from other "wanna-be" bands out there.

How dare you say that Green Day and ....?.... My Chemical Romance arent really Goth N Roll! ..... Hahaha. Wow. I did manage to say that sentence without breaking a rib in sheer laughter.

But yes, I agree with you.

One idea that Manson passed down to other Musicians was have an Oxygen tank ready after a certain set of songs so while they are re-building the set he is sitting down while drinking water and sucking on some .... Oxygen. :P

Solos are an integral part of the show, and "show" being the operative word.

A band in the position that GNR are in have to put on a performance that goes beyond just playing the songs. I quite enjoy the interlude-like solos, gives the whole show more of a feature. They break the show up and tease you into the next song, it's all good IMO.