Too many solos in GNR?

Sjakalen

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that the solos were too excessive really, I mean, the odd guitar solo is fine but when you have like 4 guitar solos, a drum solo and 2 piano solos it seems over the top and self indulgent to me. I don't agree with the doctrine that solos are an essential part of rock n' roll but then I pretty much come from the punk train of thinking. Having said that, Bumblefoot's "Don't Cry" solo was a great touch and surprisingly the "You're Beautiful" solo worked out really well too.

I like the solos,what´s wrong with them? By the way, I totally agree with what Madison said.

no offense but you like everything axl does....

Ups, I didn´t know Axl played guitar solos... :o

Zing! :lol:

You like every decision axl makes with guns n roses....is that better? :rolleyes:

I'm speaking only from May 17 show I was at but - yea WAY too many solos. If they were good it may be different but Bumblefoot's solo was cool and flashy but just ok for me. Robin's solos were just awful. So sloppy and out of tune sounding. "Beautiful" may have sounded cool if not for his out of tune sloppiness. I did hear it on Rio though and it sounded really good. The only one I liked was Fortus' solo I'm not really interested in piano solos.

The # of solos is excessive too. It just kills momentum of the show. If Axl needs it to perform better it's worth it but it's kind of a drag.

Come on guys. They are there for a reason. Axl needs to catch his breath now and again.

It's never okay for you guys. In 2002 the voice sucked. Now Axl takes time to take it easy -> too many solos.

Well said man

I watched the show fro Lisboa last night, and i think it was amazing. Good Voice and perfect setlist(ust missed Used to love her).

But i think there were to many solos. Solos are the most boring with GNR. Dizzy had a solo, Brain had a short one, Finchy had one(or two), Fortus had one and Bumblefoot had one.

Solos is not what i want to see at a consert.1 solo is ok , but in my opinion theres too many, and i think they booring too. Not as good as Buckedheads country-solo or slash old solos. Anyway to many solos make the show a little booring.

Anyone agree/disagree?

Sincerely Sjakalen

Better then Buckethead comming out with Nunchucks. :rofl-lol:

I don´t think that the number of guitar solos is really an issue, the problem is rather they are not very good solos. I think they for the most part are very dry and uninspiring and that is a bigger problem than there being too many solos, if you ask me.

:book:

Finck- boring and he always sounds out of tune so its hard to listen to it

Fortus- boring

Matt Sorrum- boring

Brain- I kinda enjoyed it but if it had been any longer then I would have gotten bored

Bumblefoot- boring

Buckethead- very exiting and interesting

Slash- I always liked his

Dizzy- I enjoyed it

Axl- I like his too

I don´t think that the number of guitar solos is really an issue, the problem is rather they are not very good solos. I think they for the most part are very dry and uninspiring and that is a bigger problem than there being too many solos, if you ask me.

yes

Well i disagree, bcause most people will find it boring. I am rock n roll and i dont like to MANY solos. and thats the diffrens. Piano solo, drum solo, and 3 guitarsolos are just to much.

I agree with this. A piano solo and drum solo? :rolleyes: Like Izzy once said, maybe they should learn cover tunes and do instrumental versions to pass time while Axl catches his breath.

Ron's shred solo and Robin's solo added nothing to the overall concert but slowed the momentum down. Keep the beautiful solo bit (since some people here dig it), keep the Don't Cry bit, and jetisson everything else in favor of instrumental jams to showcase the playing ability of the band.

This many solos is ridiculous and makes the band seem bloated a la UYI era....I mean seriously what's next? A Pittman synth extravaganza with his keytar?

Tell Zakk Wylde that too many solos makes a band seem bloated. The guy goes off on his guitar for like 20 minutes every night.

Also. I do think they should cut some of it down. Instead of have all three guitarist going off on their own why not have a band jam type of deal. Have Ron rip shit up and show everyone what he's about. Then have Fortus and Finck come out and have some dueling guitar shit. I know Fortus can rip. Let him and Thal tear shit up and Finck can do his thing while Brain and Tommy keep the rythym section going.

Edited by F*ck Fear

Right On!!!!!!! Is not the amount. It's what they play. They should play things that would grab the audience like what Bumblefoot did with Don't Cry

i think the solos are ok, i never liked drum solos and pianio solos im ok with, i really enjoy fortus's solos but fincks remind me those awful sloppy as hell 20 minute solos jimmy page would do (they werent bad but excessive and sloppy). Bumblefoot's solo is pretty good too but with the past guitarists gnr have had and the solos those guys have done its hard to come over, but he'll get his groove soon. But 5 solos? c'mon, just each of them soloing in paradise city shows their talent

I think that there really are many solos but who cares, as log as their good (and i think most are, and at least their not too long)

But there´s one thing i gotta say and thats that one of the best solos i ever saw was in Rir 3 by mister robin finck. His version of "Sossego" was really great, so if anyone thinks finck can´t pull it off on his own that watch this and tell me so.

I like the solos,what´s wrong with them? By the way, I totally agree with what Madison said.

no offense but you like everything axl does....

Ups, I didn´t know Axl played guitar solos... :o

Zing! :lol:

You like every decision axl makes with guns n roses....is that better? :rolleyes:

I´m in his pay role, didn´t you know? :P

On topic, I like solos. They give the opportunity to the members of having their own time on stage, to show their talent and they also give the rest of the band a little " break" during the concerts, you know, smoke a cigarette, drink something, do a pee or whatever the fuck they want/need. Now, that you like the solos or not, that´s a different story.