Too many solos in GNR?

Sjakalen

I think the lengthy solos serve two purposes: First, they give the new members a chance to have their moment in the sun, which is cool. Second - and most importantly - they give Axl a chance to recover between songs in the set. If you recall in 2002, Axl had to run backstage during and after almost every song to catch his breath and do God knows what else. This time, he didn't do that, and his vocals remained solid from start to finish. Just my opinion.

well, then maybe he should try to get in better shape for touring. He knows that doing a rock tour is extremely challenging for voice and body. He should be in perfect physical shape.

He's still MUCH younger than Mick Jagger so I don't quite get it why he would need all those breaks.

On topic: way too much solos. boring as hell. one, maybe two is enough. moment in the sun? go write a kickass album then you'll get your moment in the sun

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The solos are entirely so Axl can rest his voice. I like solos when they are used to extend a song, like Jimmy Page on Dazed and Confused. Rio was excessive with all the individual solos I thought. The guys in the band should jam on some cover tunes or just jam on some Illusion Era GnR. These individual solos that Axl has them doing are boring as hell and are momentum killers.

Edited by Matty Boy

I agree that there are too many solos that break the flow of the show, i also accept that rose needs intermitten breaks, but is it really neccesary to have so many, he should be fitter than that now,

of course, they could still be just for introducing the band, i do believe that, that many is unwarrented, still i like the "you are beautiful" one and too be honest its not likely this band is the hard rock tough band of before (real GNR), i mean the new stuff is mostly emotional ballads (not that it matters what song they play as long as its done well) anyway that solo was quite good even if it was a wee bit homo-erotic but sure if they are that way then i guess the band will be that bit tighter ;)

Holy ballsweat. Too many solos in a rock band? I really don't know where to begin analyzing that. Fuck sakes. If the guitarists of GN'R didn't play solos, there would be a thread by some pinhead who would title it: "Not enough solos in GNR?" Then we'd have 4 pages slamming GN'R for not enough showing of the talents of the guitarists. Trust me, the thread would exist.

Why can't people stop nitpicking? Honestly. We all know Axl has to rest, and as he rests his voice so he can attempt to please you with his best voice, the guitarists take over and give you pretty damn good solos. So, we immediately come on here after Rio and say, "Oh Lord, something about this band is too boring." Here, let's replace the solos and then Axl gets no rest. Then we get a condensed concert with Axl's voice going from rasp to Porky Pig in a matter of 3 to 4 songs. Then we'd have a thread about Axl's voice going to shit and another thread pleading for GN'R to bring back the solos so Axl can recover. Let the fucking band play the shit out of their instruments. We get a primo concert because of these, and some of you just fucking whine over and over. "Boohoo, I'm bored of these solos. I'd rather have a shitty concert after paying 50+ bucks." Shite.

Guns N' Roses, keep the solos. If some of you get bored, then give me your tickets and I'll go.

i think you have to play guitar to really love guitar solos. though you dont need to play to like them, i think though guitar players look at them and say damn because they've either tried or have tried solos similar and know that some of the sounds the guitar makes is very fuckin hard. i love solos. slash, buckethead, bumble, anyone as long as its good and not sum cheap 10 second solo. so no they dont have 2 many solos.

I liked Beautiful

I liked Fortus' solo

I FREAKING LOVED Dizzy's solo

I did not dig Finck's first solo, his second was alright.

Ron's solo was great, but he should stick with the more melodic parts and keep playing "Don't Cry"

All in all, I think ALL the solos except Finck's first should be kept a part of the setlist.

I liked Beautiful

I liked Fortus' solo

Ron's solo was great, but he should stick with the more melodic parts and keep playing "Don't Cry"

All in all, I think ALL the solos except Finck's first should be kept a part of the setlist.

i am in almost complete agreement with the above.

"You are Beautiful" solo is well... beautiful... up there with the great GNR solos... I'd say on the line of Wild Horses if not even better.

Fortus is a straight up rocker... fits into GNR incredibly well... a lead guitarist whose been put into the rhythm spot... his solo is awesome.

Dizzy fuckin' Reed is the man and I'll love anything he does.

Finck's solos tend to be a bit less catchy and a bit more impromptu from my point-of-view but whatever... he's still the best thing to happen to GNR in a while.

And yes... Bumblefoot playing Don't Cry is just nostalgia at its best.

Please...i beg...i will people just shut the fuck up saying "not as good as slash" WE ALL KNOW but hey guess what...slash left slash is gone,yes he was great,but please stop comparing new solos to his HE AINT GUNS N ROSES NO MORE,this "aint sa good as slash" shit is starting to get really boring.

yea he left, but i heard slash is coming back, he said so on like a two hour radio thing, but idk

I liked Beautiful

I liked Fortus' solo

Well Finck's first solo was Sibelius' - Finlandia hymn played on guitar and IMO it was great ;)

Please...i beg...i will people just shut the fuck up saying "not as good as slash" WE ALL KNOW but hey guess what...slash left slash is gone,yes he was great,but please stop comparing new solos to his HE AINT GUNS N ROSES NO MORE,this "aint sa good as slash" shit is starting to get really boring.

yea he left, but i heard slash is coming back, he said so on like a two hour radio thing, but idk

Actually he said the exact opposite.

Slash ain't coming back.

gone but NEVER forgotten.

Would people be complaining if it were Slash, Izzy, and whoever else doing the solos?

No because Slash and Izzy knew how to solo well and keep the audience interest with highly melodic riffs. Same with Buckethead. Nobody bitched about that.

The difference here is nobody cares about Fortus and Finck's solos and find them boring, same for Ron Thal's wank solo....its boring...atleast he had Don't Cry which was a show stopper. Fortus probably had the best solo and that's not really saying much but it was a lot better than Finck's solo.

I really dont mind them (being a guitarist i wouldnt) plus it gives us the chance to see what they can do. I was really impressed with Richards, and Rons, i love his guitar, thats probably why i love his solo, i got to see my favourite guitar :P

i agree, it shows if the band knows how to play their instruments or they just fillers who know how to copy

Would people be complaining if it were Slash, Izzy, and whoever else doing the solos?

Absolutely not!

I don't remember complaining when they were in GnR .. plus I don't remember many Izzy solos?

I counted 8 solos in the RIR show!

And average length 6 minutes..............that's really a lot!

That's really too much!

Plus they're not intended to play something cool and enjoyable but to show skills... which, guys please! Show at auditions but not in arenas!!!!!!!!!!!!

No because Slash and Izzy knew how to solo well and keep the audience interest with highly melodic riffs. Same with Buckethead. Nobody bitched about that.

The difference here is nobody cares about Fortus and Finck's solos and find them boring, same for Ron Thal's wank solo....its boring...atleast he had Don't Cry which was a show stopper. Fortus probably had the best solo and that's not really saying much but it was a lot better than Finck's solo.

dude... Don't tell me "Only Women Bleed" or "I was only Joking" were better guitar jams than Finck and Fortus's "Beautiful". Slash's guitar solo before the godfather used to put me to sleep about as much as matt's drum solo. Fortus's solo rocked harder than Slash's old solos. Fincks are more of a take a minute to chill out between songs, which i like too.

dude... Don't tell me "Only Women Bleed" or "I was only Joking" were better guitar jams than Finck and Fortus's "Beautiful". Slash's guitar solo before the godfather used to put me to sleep about as much as matt's drum solo. Fortus's solo rocked harder than Slash's old solos. Fincks are more of a take a minute to chill out between songs, which i like too.

The beautiful solo is fine although a strange piece to pick for a gnr show....however the Finck only solo sucks and goes nowhere, its just him playing sloppy for 3-4 minutes before the next song starts. Same for the Ron shred solo and the Fortus solo, none of them are good enough to really justify a solo spot. If you're going to solo, pick something that the crowd can get into like "the godfather theme" or even "beautiful".....

Don't tell me you want to see Ron run up and down his fretboard for 5 minutes and you would be thrilled to hear that between songs. Or a damned drum solo, they always suck regardless of how good the drummer is.

Wouldn't you agree their time would be better served learning cover tunes to jam on? Izzy was a visionary, he predicted everything that would go wrong with GnR and so far he's not been wrong. He said that 15 years ago, there were too many solos in the band and it was boring for the fans. Shit hasn't changed much since then....

Edited by SylvesterStallone

well call me an idiot or a loser lol but I'm not a big fan of the new GNR yes I seen them at the Air Canada Center in Toronto back in 2002 and this may annoy some people but I'm one who agree's that I would kill to have a reunion and have slash back in the band and on the topic of the three guitar solo's I didn't like the fact either that it took three people in the new band to solo what Slash could do just himself and maybe at the most Izzy playing part of it or Gilby not three people. Just my two cents

well call me an idiot or a loser lol but I'm not a big fan of the new GNR yes I seen them at the Air Canada Center in Toronto back in 2002 and this may annoy some people but I'm one who agree's that I would kill to have a reunion and have slash back in the band and on the topic of the three guitar solo's I didn't like the fact either that it took three people in the new band to solo what Slash could do just himself and maybe at the most Izzy playing part of it or Gilby not three people. Just my two cents

well the idiotic part of that statement is the last couple sentences. To say it takes 3 people to do what Slash does is a load of B.S. Axl has always wanted three guitar players in the band ever since they got done with the UYI tour. Gilby spoke his mind on that and got canned because of it (according to Gilby).

The three guitar players thing.. its cool to have these 3 guys, all very talented with a completley different style. It makes the band more versitle, and allows them to do more. A band like Velvet Revolver doesn't have the skill or manpower to do a song like "Better" or "The Blues".

well the idiotic part of that statement is the last couple sentences. To say it takes 3 people to do what Slash does is a load of B.S. Axl has always wanted three guitar players in the band ever since they got done with the UYI tour. Gilby spoke his mind on that and got canned because of it (according to Gilby).

The three guitar players thing.. its cool to have these 3 guys, all very talented with a completley different style. It makes the band more versitle, and allows them to do more. A band like Velvet Revolver doesn't have the skill or manpower to do a song like "Better" or "The Blues".

Actually VR doesn't have the singer and composer...but I can imagine Better or the Blues with SLASH's guitar and they would be a blast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!