Avenged Sevenfold Side With Axl, Guns N' Roses

Doghan

Avenged Sevenfold frontman Matt Shadows recently saw Guns N' Roses during their swing through New York City earlier this month, and he said they're better than ever. Guns N' Roses first shows of the year have drawn reluctant rave reviews.

Shadows talked with us about the shows.

"Yeah, they actually played four nights. We came to the fourth night. Of course we were in Philly, and we were like, 'There's no way we're staying in Philly. We're going to go see Axl and company. So it was cool. I've met him before and I personally don't like that vibe being the guy that's trying to get back there and bug him. I know how that situation is on a way smaller level than he does. I just don't to be sitting back there all night and be like, 'Oh, Axl. Let's go bug the s--t out of him.' We just watched the show, enjoyed it, had a great time and then had a couple of drinks with our friends in Mastodon, because they were here, and took off. We're going to be on tour with them in Europe for a while so we'll have plenty of time to throwdown if he's available. Those shows are just way too overwhelming, especially for us to be trying to bug him."

Shadows has also sided with Axl Rose in the Velvet Revolver vs. Guns N' Roses debate, and he discussed why he backs the enigmatic frontman.

"I don't know, man. I go more toward the Use Your Illusion records and I know he had a major part in those. If you listen to Velvet Revolver they're a straight ahead rock band and a lot of people like that. It's not a dis on them. They have a short attention span and they just want to rock out to three or four minute songs, and just the way Use Your Illusions were put together, just like Slash said on the VH1 Behind the Music he said it's our "White Album" [legendary Beatles album considered their best work]. It's a big and complex record and once you get into it, to me it's my favorite two records of all time. From the new songs I've heard and from the demos I can tell that Axl had the biggest part in Use Your Illusion 1 and 2. They lyrics, the way he writes the lyrics, the vocal stylings was a major part of Guns N' Roses, even though you can't have Guns N' Roses with out Slash and those guys. Just to me Axl was the most important."

watch the video here.

Avenged Sevenfold frontman Matt Shadows recently saw Guns N' Roses during their swing through New York City earlier this month, and he said they're better than ever. Guns N' Roses first shows of the year have drawn reluctant rave reviews.

"Yeah, they actually played four nights. We came to the fourth night. Of course we were in Philly, and we were like, 'There's no way we're staying in Philly. We're going to go see Axl and company. So it was cool. I've met him before and I personally don't like that vibe being the guy that's trying to get back there and bug him. I know how that situation is on a way smaller level than he does. I just don't to be sitting back there all night and be like, 'Oh, Axl. Let's go bug the s--t out of him.' We just watched the show, enjoyed it, had a great time and then had a couple of drinks with our friends in Mastodon, because they were here, and took off. We're going to be on tour with them in Europe for a while so we'll have plenty of time to throwdown if he's available. Those shows are just way too overwhelming, especially for us to be trying to bug him."

Shadows has also sided with Axl Rose in the Velvet Revolver vs. Guns N' Roses debate, and he discussed why he backs the enigmatic frontman.

"I don't know, man. I go more toward the Use Your Illusion records and I know he had a major part in those. If you listen to Velvet Revolver they're a straight ahead rock band and a lot of people like that. It's not a dis on them. They have a short attention span and they just want to rock out to three or four minute songs, and just the way Use Your Illusions were put together, just like Slash said on the VH1 Behind the Music he said it's our "White Album" [legendary Beatles album considered their best work]. It's a big and complex record and once you get into it, to me it's my favorite two records of all time. From the new songs I've heard and from the demos I can tell that Axl had the biggest part in Use Your Illusion 1 and 2. They lyrics, the way he writes the lyrics, the vocal stylings was a major part of Guns N' Roses, even though you can't have Guns N' Roses with out Slash and those guys. Just to me Axl was the most important."

watch the video here.

GReat! tx for posting!

Well atleast we know M.Shadows is talented in something....kissing axl's ass...

whats with all these crappy bands touring with gnr like a7x, bfmv,etc? What a far cry from the UYI tour when we had Faith no more, soundgarden, Metallica,etc....

It's all about opinon. To some, Metallica is a crappy band. Personally, I like A7X more then Metallica, but I've never been a huge 'Tallica fan. When I came across A7X I was having some personal issues with life in general n' a few of the songs really made me feel a bit better.

watch the video here.

Wow,that's great!! rock3

I'm completely agree with Mr. Shadow...I feel the same way about this "new" Guns n' Roses. B)

Edited by nathalie92

whats with all these crappy bands touring with gnr like a7x, bfmv,etc? What a far cry from the UYI tour when we had Faith no more, soundgarden, Metallica,etc....

At least he acknowledged Slash's worth to the old band despite siding with Axl, which is more than some people here are capable of.

Although if A7X was touring with VR we all know he'd be singing a different tune. Whatever.

Edited by KBear

I know.

I wish more established bands weren't scared to tour with Guns, for fear of a cancellation or something bad happening. Sadly, these are the bands that just say "WOW! PEOPLE WILL KNOW WHO WE ARE ONCE WE PLAY WITH GUNS N ROSES!" and sign up.

well... in comparative popularity within the music community... A7X and BFMV are probably similar today to those bands you listed above back in the early 90s

Buckcherry should support.

They're the smelly, sleazy, dirty, ugly, misogynist, violent rock n' roll band that is required to satisfy the crazier GN'R fans before Axl starts playing complex music.

for a band that was created in the last 10 years, Avenged Sevenfold are pretty damn good, their songs actually have guitar solos in them

you guys should check then out if you havent already

for a band that was created in the last 10 years, Avenged Sevenfold are pretty damn good, their songs actually have guitar solos in them

you guys should check then out if you havent already

Yea, they got some decent solos.

Although if A7X was touring with VR we all know he'd be singing a different tune. Whatever.

And that's what it all comes down to..

I've heard solos from Avenged Sevenfold that sound identical to Slash's work on the Illusion discs. What was that song? Seize the Day?

Give me a break..

-Kickingthehabit

you wanna know what happened to great bands opening for GNR?

great bands dissapeared thats what happened.

theres a few decent ones out but are any great? nope.

And that's what it all comes down to..

I've heard solos from Avenged Sevenfold that sound identical to Slash's work on the Illusion discs. What was that song? Seize the Day?

Give me a break..

-Kickingthehabit

I heard the bands album, it's ok. (The one with the label that told them to sound "radio friendly").

Yeah, I heard that song and I thought the same about that particular section of the song.

Wow. That guy sure likes to kiss ass. I find it harder to imagine as this band to be taken seriously. Specially when they talk shit about bands to later take comments back at further points of their fake music life.

i like alot of what he said...

however he said he can tell illusions were mainly from axls input...didnt axl say they were "basically slash trying to take over the band"..?was he being sarcastic then..?am i completely wrong..?

he's pointless

his band is pointless

his opinion.... pointless

Your reply to this thread... pointless.

Avenged Sevenfold are awesome. Maybe you should try listening to their music one time?

have city of evil

shite album

sloppy guitar work, songs that go no where, your typical 2000s band trying 80s speed metal. with wee poppy light vocals. boring

The fact that their lead singer is a spineless asslicker adds to my disdain of them

happy now? ;)

Edited by Mr Estranged