Oasis - Definitely Maybe

atom heart mother

by over 40 thousand music lovers..... (agreed fully btw)

It's the one thing on which the notoriously volatile and self-confident Gallagher brothers would almost certainly agree. Their debut album with Oasis, Definitely Maybe, has been voted the best of all time in the latest attempt to rank musical history.

The 1994 album, which sold more than 7m copies around the world and set them on the road to becoming the most successful British band of the 90s, was placed ahead of their heroes and inspirations the Beatles in the poll of more than 40,000 music fans.

The Beatles came second and third in the poll - organised by the book of British Hit Singles and Albums and NME.com to celebrate 50 years of the official UK albums chart - with their 1967 Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and its predecessor Revolver.

But the news that Definitely Maybe, which featured Supersonic and Live Forever, is now considered the best of all time may also sound a bittersweet note for guitarist Noel and singer Liam.

Their ascension to the top spot confirms that the Britpop era has passed on to the nostalgia circuit, with all the albums in the top 10 being 10 years or more old. The highest placed from this century is Up the Bracket, the 2002 debut by The Libertines, at 15.

"Only two albums in the top 20 were released in the last five years, so the voters have clearly thought long and hard about their decision," said David Roberts, the editor of British Hit Singles and Albums. "We believe our readers are the most knowledgeable music fans in the country, so for them to have decided that Definitely Maybe should be the number one album is really something."

The Stone Roses' self-titled debut, which often tops critics' polls to find the best album of all time, is placed at number seven.

The higher echelons of the chart are taken up by classic names - mostly white, male and middle-aged - that will be familiar to regular students of such lists, with Radiohead, Pink Floyd, U2, The Smiths and Nirvana all featuring in the top 10, and the even bigger selling follow up to Definitely Maybe, (What's the Story) Morning Glory?, making the list at number five.

But there are some surprises lower down the top 100:, with the debut album by the Spice Girls ranked above Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures, and Shania Twain's Come on Over ahead of Bruce Springsteen's Born to Run and Prince's Sign 'o' the Times.

source: The Guardian

Edited by jack99

That story and album rankings were compiled by the nme and their sheep like fans, i'm not a very big fan of Oasis but it isn't a bad album, but no 1 is a complete joke, maybe somewhere like 50th of all time or something like that would make more sense.

i think tryna rate albums is stupid cuz everyones got their different opinions, its only gonna be relevant for fans of the band predominantly which goes without sayin anyway so the whole concept is kinda silly nostalgic bullshit. very congratulatory, i find in general the albums that come out high in these polls r usually ones that the publication has been peddalling too, so it's like, see? we were right, thousands can't be wrong when quite frankly they can and frequently are. besides, music aint competition, it aint celebrity squares, its art every great album is great for its own reasons n every shitty album is shitty for its own reasons n its basically down to a persons feelings. it really devalues and detracts from art, makin this whole big, this is number oooone, n this is number twwwooo bullshit.

ok, Oasis fans, help me out. i have "(What's The Story) Morning Glory?" and i really dig it. what album shoud be next? Oasis doesn't get alot of attention in the U.S. so i don't really know alot about them, but they seem like a geniunely good band. thanks for the help.

ok, Oasis fans, help me out. i have "(What's The Story) Morning Glory?" and i really dig it. what album shoud be next? Oasis doesn't get alot of attention in the U.S. so i don't really know alot about them, but they seem like a geniunely good band. thanks for the help.

get these in this order....

Definitely Maybe (1994)

Be Here Now (1997)

The Masterplan (1998)

Standing On The SHoulder of Giants (2000)

Heathen Chemistry (2003)

Dont Believe The truth (2005)

here is the list of oasis albums in order they were released

Definitely Maybe 9/10

Whats The Story Morning Glory 9/10

Be Here Now 7/10

The Masterplan "b-sides album" but what a great album 9/10

Standing On The Shoulders Of Giants 7/10

Heathen Chemisty 8/10

Don't Beleive The Truth 9/10

That story and album rankings were compiled by the nme and their sheep like fans, i'm not a very big fan of Oasis but it isn't a bad album, but no 1 is a complete joke, maybe somewhere like 50th of all time or something like that would make more sense.

Completely agree.

Completely agree.

Its a fucking awsome album, every song is awsome. I dont think it should be no. 1, but i can understand why it is no. 1

Guest katie

this is what i found on the good old NME, telling me all

. 1. 'Definitely Maybe' - Oasis

2. 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band' - The Beatles

3. 'Revolver' - The Beatles

4. 'OK Computer' - Radiohead

5. '(What's The Story) Morning Glory?' - Oasis

6. 'Nevermind' - Nirvana

7. 'The Stone Roses' - The Stone Roses

8. 'Dark Side Of The Moon' - Pink Floyd

9. 'The Queen Is Dead' - The Smiths

10. 'The Bends' - Radiohead

11. 'The Joshua Tree' - U2

12. 'London Calling' - The Clash

13. 'The Beatles (The White Album)' - The Beatles

14. 'Abbey Road' - The Beatles

15. 'Up The Bracket' - The Libertines

16. 'Never Mind The Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols' - Sex Pistols

17. 'Four Symbols (Led Zeppelin IV)' - Led Zeppelin

18. 'The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars' - David Bowie

19. 'A Night At The Opera' - Queen

20. 'Is This It' - The Strokes

Its definitely one of the best albums ever recorded, in my opinion the best. Slide Away is magical, ive always felt in order to truely appreciate the album you must realise the greatness of that song.

thanks. looks like chronological is the way to go. i'll stop and get "Definately Maybe" today.

you wont be getting anything with that spelling son.....

its "definitely"

I know my spelling

yes.gif

and albums.....

:kiss:

Definitly maybe is a great album but nowhere near the top 10 of all time let alone no. 1, one of the worst top 100 albums lists ive seen in a while actually, the fact that the killers album is ahead of Pet sounds, Grace, Whats going on, Sticky fingers, Automatic for the people and Blood on the tracks makes me wet myself with laughter :laugh:

My dad gets The Guardian everyday and that list was a load of shit, i mean The Libertines had an album at number 15 where as Guns N' Roses AFD was at 26, now that is fucking pathetic :anger:

Edited by Mama Kin