Axl's musical tastes at 44

shotdowninflames

NIN are good but the music is not timeless...

Maybe not for you, but I find many NIN songs to be quite "timeless". Maybe 'cause I didn't get into Trent's music with "The Downward Spiral" so I never viewed NIN as a "90s trend".

Dude I've been into NIN since Prettcy Hate Machine(their debute album, 1989) and I love them. I love Downward Spiral, and With Teeth, and when I feel like letting loose and venting I totally dig Broken and and at times even Fixed is great. All I'm saying is NIN music is not timeless the way CCR is, or Rolling Stones are; or Led Zeppelin or or AC/DC or AFD version Gn'R are. It's different. It represents a time but its not timeles in the same sesne. When you hear NIN(even PHM ) it sounds like 90's industrial. That's not a bad thing but it's not a good thing. It's just a thing, if that maks sense. It's not timeless in the sense that CCR, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Strones, Pink Floyed and even AFD era Guns are. I'm repeating myself but I think I made my point. NIN is great music but it is no doubt dated, even the new stuff sounds a bit redundent(as good as it it)

..as i know some special courious tourist sugar daddy haha..will look at this fuckin' thread..

..found this..still on my hard-disc:...

http://www.megaupload.com/de/?d=AA8JPM5Q

..i love this song...

:lol: Thanks but no Thanks. been there done that. Don't have any desire to do it again.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Matt13
Just wondernig how Axl's musical tastes have evolved over the past 20 years. And if he still enjoys all the bands he liked in his 20's (Aerosmith, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, etc...)

I know during the Use Your Illusion era he got more into Elton John, Todd Rundgren, Janis Joplin and tunes like "Since I Don't Have You." More of a fan of the piano driven power ballad. And then when GnR was working on their next album, Slash started playing "Snakepit" type material Axl told him "I'm not into that type of music anymore." By that point Axl was said to be heavily influenced by Nirvana, Pearl Jam and the whole alternative movement.

Then after Slash, Duff & Matt left the fold Axl became a huge fan of industrial music and techno. He even hired Nine Inch Nails lead guitarist Robin Finck. By the new millennium Axl was creating music that he and others compared to Queen, Beck, Pink Floyd and "Estranged" off UYI. A few years ago he co-wrote a hard rock song called "Better" with Finck. Showing his tastes may have returned to rock n roll.

Juding by GnR's set list Axl either really enjoys singing songs from Appetite For Destruction or feels he has to in order to please his audience. His other selections (Live And Let Die, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Patience, etc...) show his continued fondness for power ballads.

Of course, Axl hangs out with Skid Row's Sebastian Bach and Kid Rock so he's still got an affection for rock. And on Eddie Trunk he requested a Motorhead song.

Hard to know now if Axl is sick of techno and programming or epic songs featuring a string section.

The jazz improv and cover of "I Feel Good" at recent shows deepens the mystery.

Is Axl still the same person who tore the roof off the Ritz in 1988 and delivered inspired punk covers on "The Spaghetti Incident?" Hard to tell but his musical tastes are never boring or predictable.

Nice post... couple points:

1. I don't think anyone who's ever been a fan of bands like Aerosmith, Led Zepplin, etc., is going to stop liking or listening to them. I mean, really.

2. Axl has never abandoned or lost affection for hard rock. He merely expressed an interest in evolving. Imagine if the Beatles never evolved from 'Please Please Me' or Floyd always sounding like 'The Piper at the Gates of Dawn'. Did anyone ever attack those guys for wanting to change a bit with the times? It's necessary to stay relevant and on top of your game. Shame the rest of the old band didn't see it that way.

Carry on.

Thin Lizzy

Deep Purple

Just going by some of the shirts I have seen him wear.

agreed, he is liking the older shit as well as some new, he likes what the average fan digs too

Gunsguy

yeah he still likes rock and roll