The Rock Radio: Article on Hammersmith Show

highvoltage

Brian May made a reference to this article in a posting on his "Soapbox"

DATE: Thursday, 8th June 2006

TITLE: All Sleep in Hammersmith

TEXT:

"It's good to see you. It's good to be back at the legendary Hammersmith" said Axl Rose after the new incarnation of Guns N' Roses stormed to the stage performing Welcome to the Jungle and It's So Easy. "No sleep til Hammermith. Let's stay up all night" he added and he sure meant every word of it.

In true rock n' roll style the band turned up very late and by the time the set had finished at 12:58am, all London underground trains had stopped running. Inevitably, almost all of the 5,000 fans who packed the auditorium had to either sleep in Hammersmith, walk all the way home or wait for hours and commute using several night buses to get home. Special guest in the audience Queen guitarist Brian May had no such a problem as he arrived and left in his chauffer driven limo.

It was October 18th, 1987 when a relatively unknown hard rock band from America blew Londoners away during the Appetite For Destruction Tour in Hammersmith. In the 19 years that followed, they released 2 more classic albums, became the biggest band on the planet and then vanished from the face of this earth following the departure of most of the original members.

Few had great expectations on Wednesday, June 7, 2006, although the majority happily splashed 100 British pounds on eBay (about 180US or 180EUR) to get a ticket for what was a pre-Donnington warm-up gig. Slash was missing, Izzy was missing, Duff and Matt were missing; and so was good-old Steven Adler.

But when Guns N' Roses eventually showed up at 10:41pm local time, they were phenomenally good for three reasons. Firstly, because Axl's voice was as good - if not better - as it used to be 20 years ago. Secondly, they played a killer setlist that included most of the hits - exactly what fans wanted to listen to. And, thirdly, the musical interaction between the GNR members was very good. Shame about the uninspired guitar solos that served no purpose other than force fans to rush for more beer.

All in all the gig was very enjoyable. But make no mistake. GNR without Slash is like a World Cup football tournament without Brazil.

HIGHLIGHTS

- The version of Knockin' On Heaven's Door which was masterfully executed and stood out from all the other songs.

- Dizzy Reed's exquisite piano solo

- Sebastian Bach of Skid Row fame joining vocals with Axl for My Michelle

- The naked flames during Live And Let Die and the rocket pyrotechnics during Nightrain

SET-LIST

Welcome To The Jungle

It's So Easy

Mr Brownstone

Live And Let Die

Sweet Child O' Mine

Madagascar

Better

You Could Be Mine

Knockin' On Heaven's Door

The Blues

IRS