Does Axl Need A (new) Publicist?

madison

In the latest update on the "Axl Arrest" story, the concert organizer was quoted as saying the band was not traveling with a publicist. This might explain why the story went wild everywhere with no damage control. My question: Shouldn't Axl be traveling with a savvy publicist? Merck is good -- but he's a manager and can't possibly handle all of the band's publicity as well.

Your thoughts?

Here's the article: (I've highlighted the part about the publicist)

Rocker Axl Rose arrested in Stockholm after scuffle with hotel security guard

By MATTIAS KAREN

Associated Press Writer

27 June 2006

10:26

© 2006. The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

STOCKHOLM, Sweden (AP) - Guns N' Roses frontman Axl Rose was arrested in Stockholm early Tuesday after allegedly biting a security guard in the leg at his hotel, police said.

Rose -- who performed in the Swedish capital on Monday -- was ordered held in jail by prosecutors on suspicion of attacking and threatening the guard, as well as causing damage to the Berns Hotel where the alleged scuffle took place, police spokeswoman Towe Hagg said.

Rose could be kept in jail until Friday, when prosecutors must decide whether to ask a court to remand him in custody, Hagg said.

Guns N' Roses were scheduled to perform in Norway's capital Oslo on Wednesday, but it was unclear whether the concert would be canceled, concert organizer Ema Telstar spokeswoman Catarina Oscarsson said.

Oscarsson said the band was not traveling with a publicist and would not comment on the arrest.

Hagg told The Associated Press that Rose was intoxicated during the confrontation, which occurred shortly before 8 a.m. (0600GMT), and was not questioned by police until after he sobered up.

"He was deemed too intoxicated to be questioned right away," she said.

It was unclear what caused the fight, but Swedish tabloids said the guard tried to intervene when Rose started arguing with a woman in the hotel lobby.

Fredrik Nylen, one of the police officers who helped arrest Rose, was quoted by the daily Aftonbladet Web site as saying that the singer acted aggressively toward police and had to be handcuffed and restrained in the hotel.

"He kept a high profile, so to speak," Nylen was quoted as saying.

Guns N' Roses played a concert in Stockholm's Globe Arena Monday night, and had been partying at a well-known night club before the scuffle, Aftonbladet said.

Yes, every time something happens which may or may not be his fault he gets crucified and nobody appears to be doing damage control < maybe Merck should be releasing a comment or two?

Axl is Axl and he attracts trouble but no decent PR people would be letting this excalate without some action on their part.

As for Merck not being able to do it all i agree but if he is sitting back and seing one of his clients is not being helped by the publicist then isn't his job to step in?

pub·lic·i·ty (p-bls-t)

n.

a. Information that concerns a person, group, event, or product and that is disseminated through various media to attract public notice.

b. Public interest, notice, or notoriety achieved by the spreading of such information.

c. The act, process, or occupation of disseminating information to gain public interest.

2. The condition of being public

you could save the planet from an alien race or go around molesting children, its still publicity...

pub·lic·i·ty (p-bls-t)

n.

a. Information that concerns a person, group, event, or product and that is disseminated through various media to attract public notice.

b. Public interest, notice, or notoriety achieved by the spreading of such information.

c. The act, process, or occupation of disseminating information to gain public interest.

2. The condition of being public

you could save the planet from an alien race or go around molesting children, its still publicity...

Add a "bad" in front of those and you'll understand what bad publicity means :)

The fact of the matter is, its raising interest and awareness of the man.

People will say "wow, he eats cops and slaps bitches!! im gonna buy his records!!" (or something simmilar)

The press will win from all the medias by making him infamous, and he will win because of all the interest as people will buy his records and go to his concerts...

*going back the MJ thing*

Yeah it was very bad thing and very bad publicity, but dont tell me there was hardly anyone on the planet who didnt know who he was at the time (maybe not 3rd world countrys)

when *ALOT* of people know who you are and know what youve 'supposedly' done, it can be chanelled into a good thing in which that victim can take the benefits from it all..........sometimes..........

Yeah it was very bad thing and very bad publicity, but dont tell me there was hardly anyone on the planet who didnt know who he was at the time (maybe not 3rd world countrys)

Yep.. a child abuser... a fucking pedo and when his last CD went out.. it did not sell well at all and he lost

his fortune because of that. Now the guy is walking in the streets wearing women clothes so people don't

reconize him....

Yep you're right.. bad publicity can be good :drevil:

Check out the pic NME used in the article

84_67_GunsnRoses_L110606.jpg

Not the most flattering :lol:

On topic:

Considering Axl's known for his erratic behaviour, I think having a publicist with them would be a good idea. I guess he's a pretty unpredictable person (I don't know this--I'm just guessing as I don't know Axl). Also, this is their first tour in 4 years and is a pretty big deal....thus, having a publicist on tap would be good.

Yep.. a child abuser... a fucking pedo and when his last CD went out.. it did not sell well at all and he lost

his fortune because of that. Now the guy is walking in the streets wearing women clothes so people don't

reconize him....

Yep you're right.. bad publicity can be good :drevil:

Hey, At least people know who he is! :P

Axl is allover TV NEWS today :P

I saw him on CNN and Fox News..... "Bad boy of Rock N' Roll is back!" They showed a clip of old Guns and Axl running wild! :lol:rock3

The story on CNN was called "Gums N Roses." <_<

Edited by Rebel Yell