Assault & Battery

Guest Matt13

Guest Matt13

The word 'Assault' can be taken the wrong way by a lot of folks... as I've read in the few threads about this latest incident with Axl. I ask that everyone remember that 'Assault' does not necessarily mean physically attacking. Axl could have very easily raised his voice with whoever this woman was and that can be considered assaulting somebody. He could have simply grabbed her arm during an arguement... that's also assault.

In no way does this story sound like he hit her or physically went after her. Sounds like to me he was having an argument in public with a companion, as many couples tend to argue from time to time, and this guard stepped in to be some sort of 'hero', escallating the situation. Now, if Axl bit him (go Iron Mike), that's assault and battery and could have serious consequences.

Just wanted to clear up the whole 'Assault' thing as some people sound like they're blowing it out of proportion saying Axl isn't 'mature' or hasn't 'grown up' or shouldn't treat a woman like that, as if he was beating her senseless.

I say don't read into what the press reports say, as they're always blown out of proportion. I wouldn't hold my breath for a statement from the band, either. That's a one-sided view. Wait for an actual police report to come to any conclusions.

Edited by Matt13

Biting a police officer is still not a sign of maturity. Early reports indicated he attacked the woman. I think I agree now that he may have just been yelling and perhaps grabbing her and such, and security intervened. But that's not a valid excuse for what he did. He acted like a fool. You can get away with it in your 20s when you're young and rebellious. Not when you're in your mid-40s. And biting someone is just sad, especially in the leg.

Biting a police officer is still not a sign of maturity. Early reports indicated he attacked the woman. I think I agree now that he may have just been yelling and perhaps grabbing her and such, and security intervened. But that's not a valid excuse for what he did. He acted like a fool. You can get away with it in your 20s when you're young and rebellious. Not when you're in your mid-40s. And biting someone is just sad, especially in the leg.

We do not know how things came about, security could have been over secure and trying to make a name for themselves, if it was me and i felt i was being treated harshly i may have done the same thing ;)

Guest Matt13

I totally agree with the biting a police officer thing (was the guy a police officer or the security guard... not that it matters). Biting anyone, unless you're in a raging battle for life, sounds a little out-of-the-ordinary...lol. I'm counting on that part of the story being fabricated, let's hope so at least.

But, are you saying that people in their 40's don't get into arguements? If he was grabbing her violently or took a swing, sure, way out of line. At any age, that's totally uncalled for... 20's or not. But if they were just verbally yelling at each other, c'mon. Every couple I've ever known... even folks in their 60's or older... can easily get into little shouting matches over just about anything. Yelling at someone is considered assault, and I'm betting that's what this was.

I totally agree with the biting a police officer thing (was the guy a police officer or the security guard... not that it matters). Biting anyone, unless you're in a raging battle for life, sounds a little out-of-the-ordinary...lol. I'm counting on that part of the story being fabricated, let's hope so at least.

But, are you saying that people in their 40's don't get into arguements? If he was grabbing her violently or took a swing, sure, way out of line. At any age, that's totally uncalled for... 20's or not. But if they were just verbally yelling at each other, c'mon. Every couple I've ever known... even folks in their 60's or older... can easily get into little shouting matches over just about anything. Yelling at someone is considered assault, and I'm betting that's what this was.

The problem with trying to put a positive spin on this story: Axl has a history of violent temper. And remember his arrest at the airport in 1998? He told security they were "little people on a power trip."

The woman he was arguing with last night worked for the hotel. Chances are she told him something he didn't like (perhaps, "You guys need to settle down" or even that he had to put his cigars out since it's illegal to smoke there), he got agitated and the alcohol made him overreact. He probably began yelling at her and, knowing Axl, cornered her and maybe started shoving her. Then security ran up to him, pulled him away, he started swinging at them, and then he went for the guy's leg (this has been reported on all the news stories).

It says he also threatened police in the car on the way to the jail.

I'd like to give Axl benefit of the doubt, but he's been involved in stuff like this far too many times to believe him over however many people have already verified this is what happened for the news crew.

If indeed it WAS a hotel employee...then this all makes perfect sense.

He got back to the hotel after a night of partying HARD.

He was completely shitfaced..and when one is THAT drunk,they tend to be very loud...and given it was a hotel lobby,a drunk person stands out like a sore thumb.

If he was asked to keep it down,or go to his room...someone who is entoxicated (rock star or not) can quickly get belligerent.

Security gets called QUICKLY in these situations...drunk people don't take kindly to being told what to do (Axl Rose or not).

I'll bet you any money Axl resisted and instantly found his drunk ass pinned to the floor (and that's where the drunken reactionary legbite happened...a drunk,stupid attempt to get out of being held down).

I wasn't there obviously...but I'll bet that's closer to what REALLY went down.

The word 'Assault' can be taken the wrong way by a lot of folks... as I've read in the few threads about this latest incident with Axl. I ask that everyone remember that 'Assault' does not necessarily mean physically attacking. Axl could have very easily raised his voice with whoever this woman was and that can be considered assaulting somebody. He could have simply grabbed her arm during an arguement... that's also assault.

In no way does this story sound like he hit her or physically went after her. Sounds like to me he was having an argument in public with a companion, as many couples tend to argue from time to time, and this guard stepped in to be some sort of 'hero', escallating the situation. Now, if Axl bit him (go Iron Mike), that's assault and battery and could have serious consequences.

Just wanted to clear up the whole 'Assault' thing as some people sound like they're blowing it out of proportion saying Axl isn't 'mature' or hasn't 'grown up' or shouldn't treat a woman like that, as if he was beating her senseless.

I say don't read into what the press reports say, as they're always blown out of proportion. I wouldn't hold my breath for a statement from the band, either. That's a one-sided view. Wait for an actual police report to come to any conclusions.

Unless you're familar with the law in this country, you're just engaging in uninformed speculation.

Guest Matt13

Unless you're familar with the law in this country, you're just engaging in uninformed speculation.

Takashi! I see the whole smart ass club still hangs around this joint. If you don't understand the difference between Assault and Battery, you might as well say you never graduated high school:

Assault

An assault invoves:

An intentional, unlawful threat or "offer" to cause bodily injury to another by force;

Under circumstances which create in the other person a well-founded fear of imminent peril;

Where there exists the apparent present ability to carry out the act if not prevented.

Note that an assault can be completed even if there is no actual contact with the plaintiff, and even if the defendant had no actual ability to carry out the apparent threat. For example, a defendant who points a realistic toy gun at the plaintiff may be liable for assault, even though the defendant was fifty feet away from the plaintiff and had no actual ability to inflict harm from that distance.

Battery

A battery is the willful or intentional touching of a person against that person’s will by another person, or by an object or substance put in motion by that other person. Please note that an offensive touching can constitute a battery even if it does not cause injury, and could not reasonably be expected to cause injury. A defendant who emphatically pokes the plaintiff in the chest with his index finger to emphasize a point may be culpable for battery (although the damages award that results may well be nominal). A defendant who spits on a plaintiff, even though there is little chance that the spitting will cause any injury other than to the plaintiff's dignity, has committed a battery.

That's the end of today's lesson.