Richard Fortus blew me away

rockstar81

I prefer Finck on lead, but Fortus is an amazing guitarist and its cool he gets to play a few leads in the shows. Its good to get to see each guy's style throughout the show.. but I'm glad Robin is the main lead.

Axl once said Richard preferred to play rhythm anyways but was a great lead player.

He is a fantastic player technically, easily the best guitar player who has ever played rythym in GNR.

BUT despite his excellent ability he isn't a lead guitarist. Look at Robin Finck or Slash if you want to see what one is. Both of them absolutely mess up a fair share of their solos (Look through the nostalgia to see Slash as he really was, not the vision of perfection he was at times) but have the personality to still look absolutely brilliant whilst they are at it.

Its about the whole package. SLash was a better player than Finck, but Finck has more personality and entertains the crowd a lot. You cannot help but love Robin if you see him live.

Ron Thal is better technically than both of them and Buckethead is on another planet completely compared to any guitarist I've ever seen play in any band, ever. He was an amazing sight in GNR. His Nightrain solo at Boston is the finest piece of guitar work the band has ever produced.

Its about the whole package. SLash was a better player than Finck, but Finck has more personality and entertains the crowd a lot. You cannot help but love Robin if you see him live.

it seems to be either really love or really hate. I think he's just so good that some people can't stand it.

it seems to be either really love or really hate. I think he's just so good that some people can't stand it.

I really love both actually...but...live,Slash entertained the hell out of me more than Robin.

He's awesome. Definitely under-used in the lead guitar department.

Absolutely. He doesn't even get the Beautiful solo to himself. Wish he would play all of NR too.

Certainly agree with that! He should get all the NR solos(well, Ron can have the ending!) I have to say after watching GNR at Hammersmith and RDS in the space of 2 days, Robin was the player who impressed me the most, his stage presense was superb and his playing was excellent. Funny(yet simple) thing I noticed was that when you're at a live show those downloads from you tube(or where ever) mean zippy shit when you watch this guy rockin' on stage - I'm telling you, seriously! the fact he doesn't nail every note means sweet FA! B)

UK SUBS.

Thats the words I was looking for. Stage presense!

Richard is the best guitar player in the band right now, overall. He also has the most energy. He has the look (people thought he was Izzy at Hammerstein), plays awesome rhythm and his guitar doesn't sound techno like Finck. I also enjoy watching and hearing him far more than Finck. No offense to Finck lovers out there.

Fortus (as he is today) could have walked into the GnR gig when Izzy quit and been accepted much the way Gilby was (perhaps moreso).

Totally! Too bad he doesn't play drums; we could have had him instead of fucking Matt!!

Don't get me wrong though, I loved his man-perm. :rolleyes:

He's awesome. Definitely under-used in the lead guitar department.

Absolutely. He doesn't even get the Beautiful solo to himself. Wish he would play all of NR too.

Certainly agree with that! He should get all the NR solos(well, Ron can have the ending!) I have to say after watching GNR at Hammersmith and RDS in the space of 2 days, Robin was the player who impressed me the most, his stage presense was superb and his playing was excellent. Funny(yet simple) thing I noticed was that when you're at a live show those downloads from you tube(or where ever) mean zippy shit when you watch this guy rockin' on stage - I'm telling you, seriously! the fact he doesn't nail every note means sweet FA! B)

UK SUBS.

I can agree that Robin definitely gives a better appearance live than when watching video clips of his performances. Kind of like people who talk about Scott in VR, but when you see him live it's completely different on stage.

BUT I have to disagree with "the fact he doesn't nail every note means sweet FA!"

Guest Matt13
Buckethead was an amazing sight in GNR.

Buckethead was NOT an amazing sight in GNR. He turned GNR into a laughing stock with the casual fan.

He can play... but too technical for me.

Buckethead was an amazing sight in GNR.

Buckethead was NOT an amazing sight in GNR. He turned GNR into a laughing stock with the casual fan.

He can play... but too technical for me.

If that's the case, fuck the casual fan and their ignorance.