Setlists - tired of the same songs over and over??

buzzkillz

Axl Rose - Denver, CO (July 11, 1991): "See we dont use a setlist, we go by how we feel and how you feel. That way, we dont get bored by doing the same shit every night. And you people go, well they did the same show when I saw them in Chicago. We dont have guys standing under the stage doing my whistle parts and we dont do sample shit."

That pretty much says it all.

Here's the setlist from the comeback show in 2001.... Sub out Rhiad, Oh My God, and Silworms for Better, IRS, and Madagascar and you have virutally the exact setlist from every show between 2001-2006. In fact, the 1st 4 songs are identical to the most recent set in Sweden. Some other set openers, at least, would be nice (yes we know where the fuck we are!). I mean, no matter how much the "new" lineup rocks, its pretty lame when you know all the songs they're gonna play and there's no hope of seeing a song like Estranged or Civil War!

Welcome To The Jungle, It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Live And Let Die, Oh My God, My Michelle, Think About You, You Could Be Mine, Sweet Child O' Mine, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, November Rain, Out Ta Get Me, Rocket Queen, Rhiad And The Bedouins, Chinese Democracy, Patience, The Blues, Nightrain

encore: Silkworms, Paradise City

Edited by buzzkillz

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well anyone going to one or 2 shows is not upset, however anyone who goes online daily and sees the list is, well there are milions more that dont check everyday so I think we just get upset because our boots will be basically the same IMO

GUnsguy

Well anyone going to one or 2 shows is not upset, however anyone who goes online daily and sees the list is, well there are milions more that dont check everyday so I think we just get upset because our boots will be basically the same IMO

dude, thats just the point... i could have gone to that show 5 1/2 years ago and essentially got the same set!

dude, thats just the point... i could have gone to that show 5 1/2 years ago and essentially got the same set!

yeah maybe but the sound aint the same, and you cant say it is!

Gunsguy

I think the places where you may see set list changes are during the Britain tour, where its possible that many of the same audience members will have the opportunity to see the band more than once, thus making the band more comfortable with playing songs other than 'just the hits'. Also, during the U.S tour if they play at some cities more than once its possible i guess to see some set list changes on the second night.

Its hard to tour when your a band that has an album that has sold soo many copies and fans expect the majority of songs to be played from that album

Gunsguy

LOL, nor is the sound the same compared to 93.

Its hard to tour when your a band that has an album that has sold soo many copies and fans expect the majority of songs to be played from that album

Thats BS... thats like saying the fans expect Slash and Duff to be there. since they wrote and played on that album. and surely thats not the case or the people wouldnt be there!? there are TONS of fans on this board alone... have you heard any of them saying they need to play MORE Appetite??

Edited by buzzkillz

If I'm being completely honest...I've had enough of KOHD,YCBM and LALD

REALLY could live without those..

I'd like to hear these guys take a crack at Estranged and Garden of Eden.

Guest Matt13

Gunsguy

LOL, nor is the sound the same compared to 93.

Thats BS... thats like saying the fans expect Slash and Duff to be there. since they wrote and played on that album. and surely thats not the case or the people wouldnt be there!? there are TONS of fans on this board alone... have you heard any of them saying they need to play MORE Appetite??

Dude, if it were a year or two ago, you'd be bitching about them not touring/playing live. Be happy we're getting what we're getting and STFU already.

Dude, if it were a year or two ago, you'd be bitching about them not touring/playing live. Be happy we're getting what we're getting and STFU already.

not true... i'm ready for ready for whatever Guns N Roses is gonna be. all this running in place stuff gets old. admit that youre tired of the same songs too, dont lie.

They need KOHD.

what do they need KOHD for? I've never been abig fan of that myself..... I don't mind most of the setlist.... just drop some of the songs that don't need more playing.... OTGM, KOHD, YCBM, and maybe a few others... I don't need all new songs to be happy.... I'd just prefer some of the more artistic songs from the UYI albums.... Coma, Locomotive.... hell, I'd be thrilled to hear the new guys play Pretty Tied Up...

Some deep cuts would be nice indeed. :shades:

I'm not complaining though, I just want to see them play! I missed the '02 tour and I'm not gonna make the same mistake again. Here's to a North American tour!

Edited by olga

Just Be Happy That They're Fucking Playing Anything At All... :rolleyes:

we are... or at least, I am, I'd just prefer something outside of fucking KOHD.... I'm sorry, but that song has always given me a headache.... and I don't know why...

The dont have time to learn new songs on tour I guess.

Yeah. They've been pretty busy for the last 5 years. After all, it's 3 whole albums of material. - :rolleyes:

Dont you mean 10 years?? And after all that time, maybe there will be a 13 song album? How rewarding, nearly one song for every year waited to hear it. But getting back to the subject... You'd think songs Axl got sole credit for writing would be included more into the set, since thats more "his" version of Guns. Why not Dead Horse?? That would be a perfect song for him to do, especially cause he plays guitar on it. Songs like Breakdown, Shotgun Blues, and especially Estranged maybe!? Considering Axl has NO SONG WRITING CREDITS ON Mr Brownstone, It's So Easy, or Think About You its a little strange to see how much theyve been played the last 6 years.

Consider that now Axl is older and whilst I think his voice has improved since 1993 it may be difficult for him to sing a vocally demanding effort like 'Estranged'. I think though he has personal reasons for not wanting to play songs like 'Estranged', 'Civil War' and 'Bad Obsession'... With regards to that last one it was the ultimate fast forward song whilst watching a 91/92 dvd.

However, it seems the album is soon going to be released and I think we will begin to see a few more new songs in the setlist, which I really think is a good thing. Fans will want to hear there favourite song of the album etc. At this moment in time we know that they have only rehearsed 'Madagascar', 'Better', 'IRS', 'Chinese Democracy', 'There Was A Time', 'The Blues' and apparently 'Riyadh and the Bedouins' although they have yet to play that.

Anyway at the moment, I like the setlist as it is and I think the new version of 'Knockin' on Heaven's Door' is a lot better than the old one.

I've never seen GNR live before so when I see them live in July I'll be more than happy with whatever they play. :krider:

Also, the majority of bands play a similar set throughout their entire tour. GNR isn't Pearl Jam now ;)

IMO Its So Easy and Mr Brownstone are miles greater than Breakdown and Shotgun Blues or whatever songs you said of UYI, although I think they don't play Estranged because of the bad rap it got.

"So make do with what you're given because come tomorrow...it might not be there anymore" :unsure:

Monty

At RIR and the tour during 91 they played about 50% new unreleased songs months all before UYI came out.

With Chinese Democracy out this year, Why is Mr Rose so very shy about letting us hear anything new this time around? :huh: Its like trying to get blood out a stone. The setlist is far too repetitive too. They have 5 previous albums of material to use & it doesn't all clash with the 2006 GNR sound. The band must get a bit bored playing the same stuff on stage all the time. Its only been a 1 month and a half into the tour, so i hope things evolve and get introduced.

Maybe we should get more demo leaks so he'll get feedback & hopefully play them on tour :book:

Here's the setlist from the comeback show in 2001.... Sub out Rhiad, Oh My God, and Silworms for Better, IRS, and Madagascar and you have virutally the exact setlist from every show between 2001-2006. In fact, the 1st 4 songs are identical to the most recent set in Sweden. Some other set openers, at least, would be nice (yes we know where the fuck we are!). I mean, no matter how much the "new" lineup rocks, its pretty lame when you know all the songs they're gonna play and there's no hope of seeing a song like Estranged or Civil War!

Welcome To The Jungle, It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Live And Let Die, Oh My God, My Michelle, Think About You, You Could Be Mine, Sweet Child O' Mine, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, November Rain, Out Ta Get Me, Rocket Queen, Rhiad And The Bedouins, Chinese Democracy, Patience, The Blues, Nightrain

encore: Silkworms, Paradise City

Dude, I agree with what you are saying- it would be cool to have a little variety or keep people guessing about what they might hear, but your request for silkworms, can't be with you on that one. I'd rather them do a whole night of christina aguilera covers! it is pretty much the worst song ever,

pubes.