Setlists - tired of the same songs over and over??

buzzkillz

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well anyone going to one or 2 shows is not upset, however anyone who goes online daily and sees the list is, well there are milions more that dont check everyday so I think we just get upset because our boots will be basically the same IMO

GUnsguy

Exact. Just as plane and simple as that :rolleyes:

They don´t tour to spread boots all over the internet. Its not the intention of playing music LIVE. For many is it a one in a lifetime experience and therefore is there no need to change the set list. U see them ONCE on one tour.. maby twice. (of course there are exceptions).

Here's the setlist from the comeback show in 2001.... Sub out Rhiad, Oh My God, and Silworms for Better, IRS, and Madagascar and you have virutally the exact setlist from every show between 2001-2006. In fact, the 1st 4 songs are identical to the most recent set in Sweden. Some other set openers, at least, would be nice (yes we know where the fuck we are!). I mean, no matter how much the "new" lineup rocks, its pretty lame when you know all the songs they're gonna play and there's no hope of seeing a song like Estranged or Civil War!

Welcome To The Jungle, It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Live And Let Die, Oh My God, My Michelle, Think About You, You Could Be Mine, Sweet Child O' Mine, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, November Rain, Out Ta Get Me, Rocket Queen, Rhiad And The Bedouins, Chinese Democracy, Patience, The Blues, Nightrain

encore: Silkworms, Paradise City

Dude, I agree with what you are saying- it would be cool to have a little variety or keep people guessing about what they might hear, but your request for silkworms, can't be with you on that one. I'd rather them do a whole night of christina aguilera covers! it is pretty much the worst song ever,

pubes.

This is not about variations right? :rolleyes:

It´s about that the current setlist don´t fit your taste precisly...

And if the setlist is static, ure out of hope. U´re not asking for variation. U´re asking for hope.

if they changed it after your wishes, it would make some other guy complaining

In the big picture, it doesn´t really matter what setlist they chose...

Edited by shootingstar

My only wish is for them to play Don't Cry & Civil War.The whole setlist thing doesn't bother me as much as it did in the beginning as I realized that they're playing to almost entirely different crowds at each show, so for them the setlist would be fresh.

Although, for us net-fans the setlist seems repetitive and old, but that could just be cause we're just plain ol' obsessive. :xmasssanta:

Here's the setlist from the comeback show in 2001.... Sub out Rhiad, Oh My God, and Silworms for Better, IRS, and Madagascar and you have virutally the exact setlist from every show between 2001-2006.

Dude, I agree with what you are saying- it would be cool to have a little variety or keep people guessing about what they might hear, but your request for silkworms, can't be with you on that one. I'd rather them do a whole night of christina aguilera covers! it is pretty much the worst song ever,

pubes.

You misunderstood what i was saying... i wasnt advocating they play it, i was saying they played Silkworms in 2001 along with 2 other new songs, and only those have changed on the setlist in 2006.

I've never seen GNR live before so when I see them live in July I'll be more than happy with whatever they play. :krider:

Also, the majority of bands play a similar set throughout their entire tour. GNR isn't Pearl Jam now ;)

IMO Its So Easy and Mr Brownstone are miles greater than Breakdown and Shotgun Blues or whatever songs you said of UYI, although I think they don't play Estranged because of the bad rap it got.

"So make do with what you're given because come tomorrow...it might not be there anymore" :unsure:

Monty

No GNR isnt Pearl Jam... they actually change their set from night to night, ALWAYS have. Guns used to, although there were still many of the same songs. And im not comparing Easy and Brownstone to Breakdown and Shotgun Blues, what im saying is Axl has sole songwriting credits for those songs whearas he didnt have any credits on Brownstone and Easy. The point of the matter is, when you have 5 released albums and another 5 supposed unreleased, you'd think youd get more than the same 20 songs every night. There's nothing wrong with that. You win some and you lose some. Back in the old days, they may play 3 hours or just 90 mins. You just never knew. That was part of the allure to seeing Guns live. That has been lost and no one can deny that.

tied of the same set list and tired of the solos

how can you be tired of something you aren't even going to? fuck your bootlegs, GNR is doing this for the fans in Europe, and pretty much every GNR fan in Europe gets a chance to see GNR this summer. That is what its all about. Would you rather the band go back on hiatus?

tied of the same set list and tired of the solos

how can you be tired of something you aren't even going to? fuck your bootlegs, GNR is doing this for the fans in Europe, and pretty much every GNR fan in Europe gets a chance to see GNR this summer. That is what its all about. Would you rather the band go back on hiatus?

Sure they would. Axl is getting drunk. Axl is playing Appetite. Fuck them all.

Here's the setlist from the comeback show in 2001.... Sub out Rhiad, Oh My God, and Silworms for Better, IRS, and Madagascar and you have virutally the exact setlist from every show between 2001-2006. In fact, the 1st 4 songs are identical to the most recent set in Sweden. Some other set openers, at least, would be nice (yes we know where the fuck we are!). I mean, no matter how much the "new" lineup rocks, its pretty lame when you know all the songs they're gonna play and there's no hope of seeing a song like Estranged or Civil War!

Welcome To The Jungle, It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Live And Let Die, Oh My God, My Michelle, Think About You, You Could Be Mine, Sweet Child O' Mine, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, November Rain, Out Ta Get Me, Rocket Queen, Rhiad And The Bedouins, Chinese Democracy, Patience, The Blues, Nightrain

encore: Silkworms, Paradise City

I think it's only really a problem if you've been to loads of shows for the last five years and seen the same setlist every time.

Not counting the abortive tour a few years ago this is the GnR comeback tour and they're playing an easily accessible setlist to please the fans and hopefully drum up some new interest.

Once Axl has created sufficient interest in this version of the band and the new album comes out i'm sure he'll be more inclined to be more adventurous with the setlist.

Personally i'd love to see a few more of the UYI era songs played but the fact is Appetite is more marketable right now and if it means a succesful tour then i'm happy with them playing it safe this time round.

This is the fourth time i've had tickets to see GnR in one incarnation or another and for some reason i've missed out on three of them. I'm just praying nothing goes wrong this time.

So if they are to add NEW songs to the set... when are they ever gonna play the old ones not in the set now? And btw, they played in Europe in 2002 and guess what, SAME FUCKIN SONGS. Lose the solos and play some more SONGS. Everyone is going to concerts to see Axl anyway.

I'm just saying he's playing it safe with the set for now. There's every chance he'll change some of the old songs around as well as adding in the new ones.

Thing is GnR aren't the biggest band in the world any more and this tour is the way back. Axl knows that after the last tour, this is shit or bust. If it goes tits up this time it's all over.

I'm happy for now to be patient and see what happens after Chinese Democracy is released and if that means settling for a set comprising mostly AFD for now it's not the end of the world ffs that album rocks.

Point taken, I think there's some valid points in your response.

Well anyone going to one or 2 shows is not upset, however anyone who goes online daily and sees the list is, well there are milions more that dont check everyday so I think we just get upset because our boots will be basically the same IMO

dude, thats just the point... i could have gone to that show 5 1/2 years ago and essentially got the same set!

What did you expect?

Axl Rose - Denver, CO (July 11, 1991): "See we dont use a setlist, we go by how we feel and how you feel. That way, we dont get bored by doing the same shit every night. And you people go, well they did the same show when I saw them in Chicago. We dont have guys standing under the stage doing my whistle parts and we dont do sample shit."

That pretty much says it all.

Axl Rose - Denver, CO (July 11, 1991): "See we dont use a setlist, we go by how we feel and how you feel. That way, we dont get bored by doing the same shit every night. And you people go, well they did the same show when I saw them in Chicago. We dont have guys standing under the stage doing my whistle parts and we dont do sample shit."

That pretty much says it all.

uhh but they do place the same shit every night.. give or take one or two songs

I just dont understand how you people can bitch so much.you never get tired?

I posted this already,but I'll post it again:

yeah,they are playing it for you,who is sitting is front of comp,and not for people at concert,who probably heard those songs live first time in their lives.

and also,ALL those people at concert follow gnr boards every day,and know setlist by heart,and think its boring,and ofcourse they dont want hits like SCOM,KOHD,NT,YCBM,WTTJ,PC and others to be played on GNR concert.instead of that they want perfect crime,pretty tied up,garden of eden,down on the farm,double talkin jive and dust n' bones.

yeah,right :rolleyes:

what do fuck you expect?

every show to be different ? in what way? WHAT THE FUCK?same people ARENT ATTENDING EVERY SHOW ON GNR TOUR.they attend one,maybe too.I'm not talking about diehards here.

''casual'' people hear those songs FIRST TIME LIVE.and next day,next 15.000 people hear SAME SONGS FIRST TIME LIVE.and next,and next.......

is it that hard to understand? -_-

and someone said they dont need KOHD in show.why?its great live song.when crowd sings and all.gudging bootlegs crowd REALLY ENJOYS IT.

I just dont understand how you people can bitch so much.you never get tired?

I posted this already,but I'll post it again:

yeah,they are playing it for you,who is sitting is front of comp,and not for people at concert,who probably heard those songs live first time in their lives.

and also,ALL those people at concert follow gnr boards every day,and know setlist by heart,and think its boring,and ofcourse they dont want hits like SCOM,KOHD,NT,YCBM,WTTJ,PC and others to be played on GNR concert.instead of that they want perfect crime,pretty tied up,garden of eden,down on the farm,double talkin jive and dust n' bones.

yeah,right :rolleyes:

what do fuck you expect?

every show to be different ? in what way? WHAT THE FUCK?same people ARENT ATTENDING EVERY SHOW ON GNR TOUR.they attend one,maybe too.I'm not talking about diehards here.

''casual'' people hear those songs FIRST TIME LIVE.and next day,next 15.000 people hear SAME SONGS FIRST TIME LIVE.and next,and next.......

is it that hard to understand? -_-

and someone said they dont need KOHD in show.why?its great live song.when crowd sings and all.gudging bootlegs crowd REALLY ENJOYS IT.

excellent post. some of these fucking nerds who have nothing better to do then come here and whine and bitch about how unhappy they are need to go somewhere else.

I agree, this setlist is new to the fans who are only going to one gig, it's only some diehards who feel bored with it. The band obviously feel that this is the best set for a comeback tour. However i really do hope that on the next tour we'll be getting a lot more UYI material as i think that there's a lot that this band would bring to it! So long as GnR are doing SOMETHING as a group in the public eye then i can say i'm happy! :D

Edited by Graeme

I would like to share my opinion with you guys (and dolls) :

I've been in Paris to see them about 10 days ago and the show was great. It was the first time I got the chance to see Axl and co. live so I won't complain.

That being said, I don't agree with some points here:

1/Appetite for destruction IS NOT the band's most famous album. At least, not in Europe. UYI are.

Don't forget that, with the exception of the Usa and Great Britain, GNR became huge only in the early 90's in the rest of the world. So, from a mercantile, promotional point of view that's a mistake.

2/Axl seems to have a problem with the UYI period. He already mentionned it in his interview for Kurt Loder some 5 or 6 years ago. He said something like "by that time we were losing the thing...."

Musically speaking, that statement is somehow paradoxal since it's Axl and no one else who wanted the band to escape the sleazy/blues hard-rock from their beginning for a more complex, deep, lyrical music.

I don't know if tunes like "Estranged", "Don't Cry" or "Civil war" are too difficult for Axl to sing them today but I really doubt it. He really does have a powerfull voice and I'm not sure that the new stuff for exemple (Madagascar, The Blues, IRS...) is easier to sing.

3/ The strange thing is that you could actually feel during the show that, musically, there was a missing link. Between the "in your face_appetite" songs and the new ones with some arty videos behind, the puzzle was incomplete. UYL were badly missed.

I agree that when you´re actually at the show you really just enjoy the hell out of being there, no matter what they play. But it wouldn´t hurt to change the playlist anyway, becuase I don´t think people are talking about NOT playing the classic songs, but rather that GN´R could throw in 4-5 more songs in their tour-rehearsals that they could change around from show to show, cause right now it´s like: "no tongiht we won´t play Rocket Queen" or, "I think we should play "Nightrain" a little earlier tonight", and that´s about all the change we get. This would please diehard fans and new fans just the same. :)

But as someone stated, over all we should just be happy that they are touring and we´re all getting a chance to see them. I enjoyed every second of the Sweden concert and I am thankful for that.

Edited by Lukinx

The band obviously feel that this is the best set for a comeback tour...

To rip the young fans of. Axl once said during a show (St-Louis 1991) that it will be real pussy to play Appetite. So what's the meaning of this tour? Is it to promote Appetite? G N' R have more great songs to perform live. Civil war,Double talkin' jive,Estranged,Yesterdays,Dead horse,Don't cry... to name a few. And where are the new songs beside those leaks? It seems more and more that the same will happen as in 2002 but we only will know that when fall is over.