Setlists - tired of the same songs over and over??

buzzkillz

I think when the album is released they´ll head out for a world tour to support it and we even got new sayings that can be seen as small proof of this. I am talking about what Merch said in the clearing-up-what happenened-in-stockholm-statement where he finnished the statement of by saying that GN´R would be returning to Sweden soon. That sounds like positive news if you ask me. ;)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think when the album is released they´ll head out for a world tour to support it and we even got new sayings that can be seen as small proof of this. I am talking about what Merch said in the clearing-up-what happenened-in-stockholm-statement where he finnished the statement of by saying that GN´R would be returning to Sweden soon. That sounds like positive news if you ask me. ;)

Positive news will be when they do a press release about the new album. We all know what Axl said about the album at the Eddie Trunk show but he said the same years ago.

Here's the setlist from the comeback show in 2001.... Sub out Rhiad, Oh My God, and Silworms for Better, IRS, and Madagascar and you have virutally the exact setlist from every show between 2001-2006. In fact, the 1st 4 songs are identical to the most recent set in Sweden. Some other set openers, at least, would be nice (yes we know where the fuck we are!). I mean, no matter how much the "new" lineup rocks, its pretty lame when you know all the songs they're gonna play and there's no hope of seeing a song like Estranged or Civil War!

Welcome To The Jungle, It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Live And Let Die, Oh My God, My Michelle, Think About You, You Could Be Mine, Sweet Child O' Mine, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, November Rain, Out Ta Get Me, Rocket Queen, Rhiad And The Bedouins, Chinese Democracy, Patience, The Blues, Nightrain

encore: Silkworms, Paradise City

There's a fine line between a dumb post and one that has been used too much. Yours straddles that line.

people are using quotes from axl from more than 15 years ago which is pretty rediculous. Axl is trying to play which appeals to people of this generation more. Most people know appetite better than the illusions so this is what he's focusing on. personally i don't want to hear bad obsession or double talkin jive because i think the new band will suck at it. At the moment Axl is only playing these shows to build up credibility, to arouse interest so the new album will sell well, after that he will add more cd songs to the set to increase sales further.

Don't forget that Bumblefoot doesn't know all the songs yet....that must be a contributing factor to the levels of variation in their setlist.....

An excellent point Thorne, he's only been in the band a short while and Axl will want to hold back on some of his material anyway. What people need to remember is that when they complain that we hear nothing new, we don't really have any honest right to have heard 'There Was A Time', 'IRS', 'Better' and 'Catcher in the Rye' anyway. So genuinely we are hearing 3 brand new songs and I'm perfectly happy with it just now.

Don't forget that Bumblefoot doesn't know all the songs yet....that must be a contributing factor to the levels of variation in their setlist.....

An excellent point Thorne, he's only been in the band a short while and Axl will want to hold back on some of his material anyway. What people need to remember is that when they complain that we hear nothing new, we don't really have any honest right to have heard 'There Was A Time', 'IRS', 'Better' and 'Catcher in the Rye' anyway. So genuinely we are hearing 3 brand new songs and I'm perfectly happy with it just now.

Gimme a break, theres 6 guys (axl, dizzy, pitmann, brain, tommy, robin) who have been in this band for over 6 freakin years!! There was only 5 members in this band originally (Adler was in the band for less than 5 years, and he was on 2 albums). They RE-RECORDED APPETITE 5-6 years ago, i mean wtf!?

DROEZEL GETS THE POINT, like he said: So what's the meaning of this tour? Is it to promote Appetite? G N' R have more great songs to perform live. Civil war,Double talkin' jive,Estranged,Yesterdays,Dead horse,Don't cry... to name a few. And where are the new songs beside those leaks?

Edited by buzzkillz

i think Axl has proved his point that the new band "plays the fuck out of the old songs". i cant complain, they are great with the old stuff, and the new stuff they play is amazing, but we need a different setlist. I dont mean that we need more new songs, that would(here come the flames) be a bad thing, considereing that we have technically heard half the album. all that needs to be done is play a couple of different old songs(UYI of course) as well as moving some songs around. one great example is moving Jungle to the middle of the list, its a amazing opener, but its time to open with new stuff. this is just a possiable setlist that i would hope to see.

1. Chinese Democracy

2. IRS

3. Mr. Brownstone

4. Richard Solo/Nighttrain

5. Dizzy Solo/The Blues

6. Live And Let Die

7. Patience

8. Welcome To The Jungle

9. Madagascar

10. Robin Solo/ Sweet Child Of Mine

11. Knocking On Heavens Door

12. November Rain

13. Ron Thal Solo

14. You Could Be Mine

15. Rocket Queen

Encore

16. Better

17. Robin Solo/Paradise City

18. There Was A Time

this is a pretty long set, so some songs suck as OTGM and KOHD could be removed/added depending on the show

the best thing to do is mix up the predictiable songs like nighttrain, jungle, and paradise city. i would love to be standing there at the end of paradise city thinking it was over, and suddenly TWAT starts.

Edited by fridayfan13

Main Set

Chinese Democracy, Better, It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Dead Horse, Live and Let Die, Madagascar, Sweet Child O' Mine, My Michelle, Double Talkin Jive, Estranged, (solos), Out Ta Get Me, I.R.S., Yesterdays, Civil War, Don't Cry, There Was A Time (or Catcher in the Rye), You Could Be Mine, Rocket Queen

Encore 1

The Blues, 14 Years (w/ Izzy), Patience (w/ Izzy), Nighttrain (w/ Izzy)

Encore 2

Axl Piano Solo, November Rain, Welcome To The Jungle

Fuck Paradise City and Knockin On Heavens Door right off the bat... so overplayed. If there were any solos, i'd scale them down and put them in one spot, so its almost like an intermission. Throw in a new opener and change the closer. Get more songs in the set that Axl wrote, more Illusion, stuff has relevance to the band NOW: Dead Horse, 14 Years, Yesterdays, DTJ, Civil War, Dont Cry. Also make the set around the new songs, instead of Appetite. Axl comes out in the 2nd encore by himself, talks to the crowd, does a piano solo... band goes into November and closes with WTTJ.... hows that for BEAUIFUL!?

Edited by buzzkillz

Main Set

Chinese Democracy, Better, It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Dead Horse, Live and Let Die, Madagascar, Sweet Child O' Mine, My Michelle, Double Talkin Jive, Estranged, (solos), Out Ta Get Me, I.R.S., Yesterdays, Civil War, Don't Cry, There Was A Time (or Catcher in the Rye), You Could Be Mine, Rocket Queen

Encore 1

The Blues, 14 Years (w/ Izzy), Patience (w/ Izzy), Nighttrain (w/ Izzy)

Encore 2

Axl Piano Solo, November Rain, Welcome To The Jungle

Fuck Paradise City and Knockin On Heavens Door right off the bat... so overplayed. If there were any solos, i'd scale them down and put them in one spot, so its almost like an intermission. Throw in a new opener and change the closer. Get more songs in the set that Axl wrote, more Illusion, stuff has relevance to the band NOW: Dead Horse, 14 Years, Yesterdays, DTJ, Civil War, Dont Cry. Also make the set around the new songs, instead of Appetite. Axl comes out in the 2nd encore by himself, talks to the crowd, does a piano solo... band goes into November and closes with WTTJ.... hows that for BEAUIFUL!?

I like your idea but you've got way too many ballads/slow songs in your set. Yesterdays, Civil War, Don't Cry, TWAT after another would make the gig pretty slow I think. But you've made a very good point.

Watching every single GNR concert possible online is lame. If you see the same setlist day in and day out, and bitch about it, how much fun is it gonna be when you actually make it out to a concert, and that same setlist is played? Relax, wait for GNR to play somewhere near you, and enjoy the show. I promise it'll be better if you haven't already seen the same thing online 9239234923534 times.

Axl Rose - Denver, CO (July 11, 1991): "See we dont use a setlist, we go by how we feel and how you feel. That way, we dont get bored by doing the same shit every night. And you people go, well they did the same show when I saw them in Chicago. We dont have guys standing under the stage doing my whistle parts and we dont do sample shit."

That pretty much says it all.

Here's the setlist from the comeback show in 2001.... Sub out Rhiad, Oh My God, and Silworms for Better, IRS, and Madagascar and you have virutally the exact setlist from every show between 2001-2006. In fact, the 1st 4 songs are identical to the most recent set in Sweden. Some other set openers, at least, would be nice (yes we know where the fuck we are!). I mean, no matter how much the "new" lineup rocks, its pretty lame when you know all the songs they're gonna play and there's no hope of seeing a song like Estranged or Civil War!

Welcome To The Jungle, It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Live And Let Die, Oh My God, My Michelle, Think About You, You Could Be Mine, Sweet Child O' Mine, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, November Rain, Out Ta Get Me, Rocket Queen, Rhiad And The Bedouins, Chinese Democracy, Patience, The Blues, Nightrain

encore: Silkworms, Paradise City

Yeah but GNR didn't NEED fans like they do now so they have to play it safe

i only wish rhiad, OMG, maddy, estranged, civil war,another few tracks from UYI and RQ would be played a little more often and appetite songs like OTGM, TAY and songs like KOHD and LALD would be left out sometimes. I'm not saying all the time, just a little more/less often

"way too many ballads/slow songs in your set. Yesterdays, Civil War, Don't Cry, TWAT after another would make the gig pretty slow I think."

the solos are killing the momentum of the shows, i think any songs after another would be an improvement. this setlist is THE BOMB, you guys are crazy. if we were to see a show like this, there would be far less complaining. sure, ppl will always find something to gripe about, but there are plenty of bands who change their setlist every night.... At least a few songs, especially bands who have a large catalogue. i can respect that some ppl are seeing GNR for the 1st time, but what about the fans how have been fans for nearly 20 years?? since when does GNR "play it safe"? there ARE songs that should be played everynight, just not the same 25 of them.

Edited by buzzkillz

I don't have a problem with what Guns N' Roses have as there set list for this tour. I think it makes sense to be playing pretty much "the hits". The majority of the people who are attending these shows haven't seen every show of this tour...they are seeing them for the first time. Therefore it isn't the "same old" stuff. I think it also makes sense because as of right now it seem like this is the official return of Guns N' Roses, so there also looking to get new fans and playing mainly hits with a few new gems sounds like the best way to do it. I also think that perhaps when Chinese Democracy is released later this year we will see more new material and just the absolute classic tunes from Appetite for Destruction, GN'R Lies, and Use Your Illusion.