The Grunge Scene 94-96

Vincent Vega

Hey

I was wondering if anyone could give names of good grunge songs from the period of 1994-1996, when all that slow, powerful and emotional Grunge came out, like songs in the vein of Better Man by Pearl Jam or Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden, or I Stay Away by Alice in Chains; Slow, grungy, heroin and depressing. I'm really lookin for that kind of sound and music of that sound from that period, so if anyone could help me it'd be great

Hey

I was wondering if anyone could give names of good grunge songs from the period of 1994-1996, when all that slow, powerful and emotional Grunge came out, like songs in the vein of Better Man by Pearl Jam or Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden, or I Stay Away by Alice in Chains; Slow, grungy, heroin and depressing. I'm really lookin for that kind of sound and music of that sound from that period, so if anyone could help me it'd be great

GRUNGE sucks dick!!! Stick to Heavy metal and avoid those fuckers!

Hey

GRUNGE sucks dick!!! Stick to Heavy metal and avoid those fuckers!

!!!!!!! :anger:

grunge rules you ****. . . so shut up. . .

I would call it a mixture of punk, ordinary hard rock and pop.

exactly...hard some big revolutionary thing. great bands, great music, soon as the media catches on u got designer fuckin sweaters with ur gruuunge thumbholes n frayed n jeans n all of a sudden its this big movement with all these dumb ass bands thinking all u need is distortion n ur breaking ground in music? no, these bands n bands of like had been around forever, jus people dont wanna notice until u can make ur dollars n cents offa it. grunge couture...right :lol:

Edited by marina

Exactly. The rock scene was getting stale - it was getting to the stage where new bands were covering songs your dad liked - so marketers created "new rock." You can barely call it a genre when the bands are so diverse. Pearl Jam were loose anthemic stadium rock. Mudhoney were garage, AIC were more metal. The only real common thread is the angst and introverted lyrics, but even that falls apart when you take Ed Vedders lyrics which are often 3rd person and about society, or Kurt Cobain's sense of humour.

I would call it a mixture of punk, ordinary hard rock and pop.

as well as that i think the attitude and look all contributed to grunge

kickass scene/genre

i read a good/old quote about nirvana today which i may have wrong now "the band that told the world how unhappy kids are"

feel free to correct me on that one anyone

jus a label slapped on a few bands comin outta seattle

Sometimes you didn't even need that. Stone Temple Pilots are still thrown in with the "grunge" crowd for some unknown reason.

Anyway, some great music came out of it all. Good times.

Yep, STP were originally blasted by some as copying Pearl Jam. Fortunately, they proved everyone wrong.

Back on topic, Alice in Chains gets my vote, even though they weren't exactly 'grunge' either.

Music is music, its either good or it sucks.