Brian May vs Jimmy Page

*FiberGlass Doll*

Brian May vs Jimmy Page  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

Brian May, no question. Who actually did something different with his playing, and created a new and worthwhile style? Jimmy Page thought he could get by just playing the Blues, but he really wasn't much better than the others.

They're both really really good and really important in the development of guitar.

But come on ODS. Blues was BUT ONE of the styles Jimmy Page played.

He's also adept at freestyle raga-based improv for guitar, indian, arabic, acoustic folk, celtic, funk, samba, reggae, riff based rock/metal, psychedelic rock, country, slide guitar, pedal steel, not to mention his playing with a violin bow, and a theramin. Not to mention that I can't think of too many people that can take over lead guitar from Jeff Beck. I don't think Brian May could have.

THIS ain't blues.

Brian was a good foil for Freddie, and together they made some incredible music. But Brian was nowhere near the diverse, eclectic guitarist that Page was, hell, I've heard Brian try to play blues... it ain't pretty.

Edited by moreblack

They're both really really good and really important in the development of guitar.

He's also adept at freestyle raga-based improv for guitar, indian, arabic, acoustic folk, celtic, riff based rock/metal, psychedelic rock, country, slide guitar, pedal steel, not to mention his playing with a violin bow, and a theramin. Not to mention that I can't think of too many people that can take over lead guitar from Jeff Beck. I don't think Brian May could have.

THIS ain't blues.

Brian was a good foil for Freddie, and together they made some incredible music. But Brian was nowhere near the diverse, eclectic guitarist that Page was, hell, I've heard Brian try to play blues... it ain't pretty.

You know, I really agree with almost all of that. It may be that I've become so disillusioned with Led Zeppelin and Jimmy Page in particular. I still think his textures were brilliant, like the whole Houses of the Holy album. But I think in this kind of poll you have to take it for granted that it's all about soloing, so I immediately thought of something like "Killer Queen" against Jimmy's sloppy Blues, and it was an easy choice.

Brian May, easily.

Jimmy Page is the worst of the Yardbirds, and my least favorite Zeppelin member.

I guess I just don't like hearing the Blues played that heavily. It should be soulful, but Jimmy's just loud.

Edited by adnan

I should be soulful, but Jimmy's just loud.

Sometimes. Sometimes not.

More often than not he's chrushingly loud.

But then again, there's also Hats Off To Roy Harper, and Bron Y Aur Stomp...

You can't quite be "crushingly loud" on acoustic.

Having said that, I think he's one of the absolute greatest on acoustic.

He's also adept at freestyle raga-based improv for guitar, indian, arabic, acoustic folk, celtic, riff based rock/metal, psychedelic rock, country, slide guitar, pedal steel, not to mention his playing with a violin bow, and a theramin. Not to mention that I can't think of too many people that can take over lead guitar from Jeff Beck. I don't think Brian May could have.

THIS ain't blues.

I agree with all of that. Jimmy played on hundreds of records as a session guitarist before he joined Led Zeppelin, a lot of which weren't blues. He even played on Tom Jones' It's Not Unusual. And Queen has good riffs but Page totally destroys May in the riff departement. To me, he's the ultimate riff creator, better than Iommi and Richards. The only thing I can hold against Page is that he was sloppy sometimes.