Scott Weiland-Barbarella

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

Well, there's no "VR members" section, and I didn't feel like doing a thread about the whole album.

This is one of my favorite songs, really. The whole album is good but this is it's crown jewel. Scott embraces the Glam tradition, explores sound much in the same way as Brian Wilson, and creates a heartwrenching ballad, all in 6 and a half minutes.

A real classic, and better than any shit Axl's written post '94.

Edited by Ohdistortedsmile1789

Although your last comment is bullshit, considering you haven't heard all the 'shit' Axl's written since then, 'Barbarella' is a fucking great song.

Talk about nitpicking...

It's better than:

Madagascar

I.R.S.

There Was A Time

Chinese Democracy

Rhiad and the Bedouins

Catcher in the Rhye

Oh My God

And the only one that comes close is "The Blues".

Although your last comment is bullshit, considering you haven't heard all the 'shit' Axl's written since then, 'Barbarella' is a fucking great song.

Talk about nitpicking...

It's better than:

Madagascar

I.R.S.

There Was A Time

Chinese Democracy

Rhiad and the Bedouins

Catcher in the Rhye

Oh My God

I agree with you totally. Silkworms is much better than Barbarella. - :lol:

I'm just playin'... :)

Edited by Ions

Talk about nitpicking...

It's better than:

Madagascar

I.R.S.

There Was A Time

Chinese Democracy

Rhiad and the Bedouins

Catcher in the Rhye

Oh My God

Well it wasn't written by Axl, that's why it was left out.

Talk about nitpicking...

It's better than:

Madagascar

I.R.S.

There Was A Time

Chinese Democracy

Rhiad and the Bedouins

Catcher in the Rhye

Oh My God

Well it wasn't written by Axl, that's why it was left out.

My bad. - :(

I've had this song stuck in my fuckin' head for the last couple of days.

I love the "grab a scale and guess the weight of all the pain I've given with my name ... I'm a selfish piece of shit". The music comes to a complete stop and it's just Scott being brutally honest and open about his life. It's a theme that dominates most of the album and makes it such a deeply emotional piece of work.

I just think it's great that Scott had the balls to do something as different as 12 Bar Blues. He's a brilliant artist.

Guest cherry_bomb

i love this song. love the bit where he says "guess the weight of all the pain ive given with my name, im a useless piece of shit" , or something like that!

generally quite like his solo work, jimmy was a stimulator though - :laugh: but i like how experimental it is. and he really does a great voice. however i dont think its as good as new gnr songs like madagscar, TWAT etc...

have you seen the video for this ODS? its pretty cool.

The music video really is great. I can't believe it's not on youtube. :angry: (thought there is a pretty cool live performance with Cyndi Lauper)

Anyway, I just downloaded a live acoustic performance of Son. It's even better than the album version. I'm trying to find out if Scott performed it with STP or with someone else. Also trying to find a live performance of Where's The Man - I'm in love with that song atm.

no. i like the rest of his work, but this IMO is the best.

Where's The Man is my fav. But it's hard to compare the songs on 12 Bar Blues, because they're all quite different from one another.

I tend to like the softer stuff on the album, but that's becoming the norm for me when it comes to Weiland. I only ever listen to acoustic versions of songs like Plush, Interstate Love Song & Big Empty nowadays. I just love Scott in that sort of setting - the louder music just detracts from his voice on the album versions.

Listening to Atlanta from No.4 now. Another great low-tempo song where his voice and words shine. :)

Guest cherry_bomb
I only ever listen to acoustic versions of songs like Plush, Interstate Love Song & Big Empty nowadays.

the mtv unplugged recordings were amazing, ive never heard his voice so strong. i think it just shows how his voice isnt being used to its fullest potential in VR, no way near it infact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8Yj-NviD-8...scott%20weiland

^wicked garden, mtv unplugged

Talk about nitpicking...

It's better than:

Madagascar

I.R.S.

There Was A Time

Chinese Democracy

Rhiad and the Bedouins

Catcher in the Rhye

Oh My God

I admit it's a good song, but only Rhiad and perhaps OMG are worse that that, all the others are on, or above the par of that song.

I only ever listen to acoustic versions of songs like Plush, Interstate Love Song & Big Empty nowadays.

the mtv unplugged recordings were amazing, ive never heard his voice so strong. i think it just shows how his voice isnt being used to its fullest potential in VR, no way near it infact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8Yj-NviD-8...scott%20weiland

^wicked garden, mtv unplugged

I wish the STP unplugged was on DVD.

Talk about nitpicking...

It's as good as:

Madagascar

Chinese Democracy

The Blues

There you go.

Why has his voice diminished so much lately? He had such a strong, classical voice in STP and solo.

His voice in VR leaves much to be desired.

Well, most of Contraband was really hard/fast rock. Competing with the walls of guitar and pounding drums in something like Sucker Train Blues was probably more of a challenge for him. Still think he did a brilliant job, though.

Stuff like You Got No Right and Loving The Alien is probably more his cup of tea, and his voice really shines.

Wow, Scott looks so different in that vid you posted. :o