Axl's thoughts on Contraband

Rock in PA

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were to meet Axl, one of the first things I'd ask him was his opinion on VR..

I'd like to think that he could be happy for the guys and still appreciate the great music that Slash, Duff and Matt are making...somehow I don't think that would be the case though.

I really hope he doesn't say that VR are shit or something in the future and bring up a whole rivalry with Scott or something. There's enough of a divide in the GNR community as it is, that would be hell.

What are YOUR opinions on Contraband? Personally, I think the music is good, but the only thing that is actually outstanding about it is the solos. And the vocals and lyrics bring it down - the lyrics and ovcal style is okay, but so invariable. And Scott Weiland, hot as he is, is not very good live. It takes the piss that he sings GnR songs live in which he slags off Axl Rose ( 'Axl Rose t-shirt; fuck off,') whilst singing Axl's songs BADLY.

I can't see Axl actually being that happy for the ex-GnR members that are now in VR, seeing as he simply doesn't have the friendships and reasons to wish them well anymore, but I'd like to think he isn't bitter, and has at least considered the music as potentially valuable, whether he actually likes it or not.

If I were to meet Axl, one of the first things I'd ask him was his opinion on VR..

I'd like to think that he could be happy for the guys and still appreciate the great music that Slash, Duff and Matt are making...somehow I don't think that would be the case though.

I really hope he doesn't say that VR are shit or something in the future and bring up a whole rivalry with Scott or something. There's enough of a divide in the GNR community as it is, that would be hell.

VR isnt great music.....it's good music, but nothing out of the ordinary

I like VR but i think slash is being under utilized. It sounds like stone temple pilots with an extra rhythm guitar most of the time. The solos are far better but still not amazing. But then again STP with 2 guitars is better then one, but weiland can't sing that great. pretty monotone. axl on the other hand can sing damn well, so i doubt he would think highly of VR.

VR isnt great music.....it's good music, but nothing out of the ordinary

Same could be said for the new GNR tracks depending on your view, though.

Dizzy commented on it.... specifically on Slashs playing. Something along the lines of how Slash's playing was good, but he wasnt "really playing"! He also said that he wasnt really doing anything impressive with his solos, just playing around in blues scales!

I cant remember where this was from, but im pretty sure most of the above is from Dizzy. Sorry for the lack of source!

Jonx

I can't see Axl actually being that happy for the ex-GnR members that are now in VR, seeing as he simply doesn't have the friendships and reasons to wish them well anymore, but I'd like to think he isn't bitter, and has at least considered the music as potentially valuable, whether he actually likes it or not.

Well, Axl gave Sorum a lift to his hotel not too long ago when both of them were in NY. Plus, he's buds again with Izzy and Izzy did some writing with Slash, Duff, and Matt. So I'm sure the topic has come up in private. And it shows that Axl isn't doing what some of his blind followers think...i.e. that he hates the old guys and laughs at them. Keep dreamin' folks. I don't think any of us really knows what exactly goes on in the mind of Axl Rose, but some of us romanticize the man so much that those people are probably the most out to lunch.

I was speaking to him the other day and he told me it was actually his vocals because weiland can't sing and because of that he did all the vocal work so when they go on stage it's actually him singing and not scott because scott can't sing and he told me chinese democracy is going to come up on the 8th of the 9th of the 20th and because he told me it's true because he's my best friend.

All the nagging here!! You guys are childish as hell!

From 1994 till 2002 there was nothing for the fans, and since 2002 we have Velvet Revolver (proved to be succesfull, look at their sellingnumbers of contraband) and since this year there are signs of life in GnR.

What the fuck are you complaining. Two great rockbands instead of nothing.

a little more optimism would be in it's place

From 1994 till 2002 there was nothing for the fans, and since 2002 we have Velvet Revolver (proved to be succesfull, look at their sellingnumbers of contraband) and since this year there are signs of life in GnR.

agree...VR is the best thing that happened to the real GNR fans since 1993. The release of CD can be the next best thing.

Slash's Snakepit, Izzy Stradlin & The JuJu Hounds, Gilby, Neurotic Outsiders,...

Should I name more?

agree...VR is the best thing that happened to the real GNR fans since 1993. The release of CD can be the next best thing.

You mean the real VR fans?

cus the best thing that has happend for real Guns N' Roses fans since 94' is the 2006 UK n' Europe tour! rock3

Edited by Chris Axl